1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs land Rudy Fernandez

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by trickywhiteguy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. trickywhiteguy

2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

eh,
    i wonder who is there star after dirk retires

3. trickywhiteguy

Honestly I don't think that mavs need to worry about that right now.. Their main role players are all 33+ they are in win now mode, I don't think Jordan Hamilton had much of a chance to be the "star" for a winning team anyways.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Assuming they resign everyone, this team will be petty stacked in every position

5. redao

redao Member

The rich gets richer.

6. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

You can say the same thing about the lakers and spurs.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Damn, the Jet and Rudy off the bench -> offense galore.

And then you also have the leprechaun.

Great move for the mavs.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Rudy is going to start. He will get his chance and jet will still come off the bench. They needed something more than a spot up shooter to start games and rudy fits the bill.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

nice move for them

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Isn't he going back to spain after next season?

he seems like someone who doesn't try as hard if things aren't going his way, but maybe he'll be happy in Dallas where there's a larger Spanish-speaking population.

11. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

rudy is a dead eye but stevenson had a defensive role on that title squad, terry and rudy are both instant offense

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

With Rudy and a healthy Beaubois, they no longer HAVE to resign Barea and Stephenson.

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

why wouldnt they though? Barea and Stevenson were a big reason they won the NBA finals. Stevenson made some huge 3s and generally showed no fear of the Miami Heat (most likely because of his hate for Lebron, lol)

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Because role players on championship teams are often overpaid by other teams hoping they will be that good all the time.

Barea is not going to average 16 ppg or whatever the main cog at PG. Only because Kidd was there, and because both the Blazers, Lakers, and Heat are sorely lacking at PG did he do well during most of the playoffs. He is a sparkplug, but someone will pay him to be a starting PG.

Stevenson shot over 50% from 3 pt. Um, I highly doubt he will ever do that again over another 2.5 month stretch much less an entire season. Now he did play pretty good defense against the Lakers, Thunder, and Heat. However, the Mavs have Corey Brewer for 2 more years cheap. He is their future wing defender. Given an offseason with a good staff and learning from Marion/Dirk/Kidd/Terry to be a better professional and all, he can be a more than adequate replacement for Stevenson's defense.

15. sw847

sw847 Member

totally agree with your points on barea. he is going to get exposed is he was a full time starting point guard. I just feel that he is too small to be that main pg for a contending team.

Stevenson, to me is worth resigning for the mavs. He not only brings that defensive presence on that team, but also a swagger. I don't know, just the way he played in this playoffs gives me a feeling that he really pumps a lot of confidence into the team.

16. conquistador#11

you guys underestimate JJ's heart. El hombre is clutch. You can put Rose on him and he will still find a way to make his shot go in. Is he a starter? Of course not, but he's a vital of anything the mavs do.
    Rudy is going to shine in Dallas.

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

With a heart like that no wonder Miss Puerto Rico is letting him tap that.. :cool:

18. MONON

MONON Member

I hate to say it, but it really looks like the Mavs and not the Heat are the team to beat in the next 3 years.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Kidd / Barea / Beaubois
    Fernandez / Terry / Stevenson
    Butler / Marion / Peja
    Nowitzki / CUSTODIAN
    Chandler / Haywood

It is really hard to not see the Mavs not being the #1 seed next year. :(

20. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

I don't underestimate his flopping ability and dirty plays though...