1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs hire Gersson Rosas as GM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 22, 2013.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

They're important positions, but striking gold on Howard buys Morey some time to develop his "next generation".

Where guys like Rosas and Hinkie really come in handy is with deep scouting. It's picking Pat Beverley out of Russia, identifying Greg Smith in RGV as an NBA-level contributor, seeing Chandler Parsons as a second-round steal, etc. Those guys were huge in helping rebuild the franchise when there wasn't a lot of outside interest.

Now, though, with multiple All-Star foundation pieces in place... the focus shifts a bit. Obviously, if you can find the next Beverley, it's great... but many of the role players brought in will be along the lines of Camby and Miller. Established veterans with proven track records that want to play for a contender. From a bigger-picture standpoint, any major moves (Aldridge?) are also likely to be for established players and come via trade. With items like these, Daryl is far and away the leading voice, and the "scouting" isn't particularly complex due to their track records. It's mostly just simple GM-to-GM or GM-to-agent negotiations.

Over the course of time, of course, even an organization with Harden/Howard will lose ground if they haven't cultivated some young talent. But we're in a position now where the new hires have some time to grow into their roles, if needed. That wouldn't have been the case a year ago.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

The league has taken notice of what is going on over here. This is a good thing guys. Hopefully Morey can continue building his legacy and along with it up the reputation of this program and we become one of those "model" franchises that people wish to emulate. This has been the case with the Spurs for years. Front office people and coaches get pillaged from them all the time and they haven't skipped a beat because they still have Pop. We still have Morey. Hopefully he doesn't have to rebuild and he can simply reload.

3. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bima get your résumé together! :p

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

He's taking over a roster that just signed Montae Ellis and Sam Dalembert to (semi) long term deals, not to mention still having Carter, Marion, etc. His situation is similar to what Morey had when he took over the Rockets with Yao and Tracy, so he's probably a good person to help Cuban dig himself out of that hole he's created with these additions.

5. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Fist Rosas move. Trade dirk to houston and start the rebuilding process

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not that the guys wanted to leave, it's for a better opportunity. When your org is successful other teams will pirate your guys because they want to be successful like you, IIRC both coach Mike Brown and Danny Ferry came from the Spurs.

In this case losing both HInkie and now Rosas hurt a lot, I think they along with DMorey were the "big 3" of the Houston FO. Still it's not all bad, unless DM/Alexender were total dicks we just managed to build a good relationship with Dallas. Still, I'm surprised Cuban out of all owners would pirate Rosas away. They were already doing analytics and like the Rox was ahead of the curve when it came to $ball, they didn't really need him on the FO IMHO. Maybe they're going into tank mode wanted an elite scout as a GM.

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I hope they do a ton of internal hiring and they end up having a lot of new openings. I'd really love to work for the Rockets.

8. liveguy

liveguy Member

Makes perfect sense to me....

Morey is Belichick after they won the superbowl....

ALL of the staff is seen as head coach material now...

They aren't getting the head honcho's job, but they should be a head honcho themselves in the eyes of others, so they are now getting their shot with another team to be top dog.

Par for the course.

9. NotChandlerParsons

GMs get paid 7 figures usually (except for cheapass owners whose GMs usually abandon them, see: Los Angeles Clippers, Denver Nuggets).

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Has somebody told NBA owners that David Kahn is available?

1 person likes this.
  11. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

IPSAC for VP!!!!!!

12. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

[​IMG]
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

IMO, this would have been a deal-breaker for me if I was in Rosas' position. With Cuban and Nelson still in command what freedom with Rosas really have to make truly bold moves?

Cuban and Nelson are notorious for being extreme homers to the point that its hurt their position moving forward. For the Mavs to really take the step forward to rebuild, they are going to need to allow Rosas or any new GM the full ability to take the half-cuffs off if they want to truly rebuild.

Obviously with the moves they just made they are not trying to win a championship. They are trying to make Dirk and Marion as comfortable as they can on their way out of the league, when really they need someone that can come in there and just pull the plug.

However, Rosas is probably getting a very nice pay & title upgrade. I just hope for his sake that whatever happens in the next few years doesn't actually hurt Rosas' career moving forward.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is GREAT news, when Morey took over, he had to build relationships, the more folks that are from here the better off it will be for us to make deals with them.

Congrats to Gersson he has earned it...

DD

15. kastuul

kastuul Member

Mavs should hire Gersson Rosas before July.

Not fair for him after the Mavs made all the off-season moves and drafts.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This. I don't think that Rosas is going to Dallas for the opportunity of building a team. Cuban is probably throwing truckloads of money at him. Unfortunately, however, he will probably be just a puppet GM. It will be like the NBA version of the Cowboys: Cuban won't ever take his fingers out of the cookie pot, and if Donnie Nelson is not leaving then don't expect him to relinquish much authority either.

People will be barking at Rosas from all sides. It's not a recipe for success.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it sucks from a scouting perspective, but its great from a deal making perspective.

sure hinkie, rosas, and lindsay were important parts of player scouting for the draft, free agency and trades. those skills can be developed by the next generation under morey. he will find another analytic up and comer from sloan or something like that and we'll be fine.

however, morey has friends around the league. lindsay in utah, hinkie in phily, and now rosas in dallas. this strengthen's morey's ability to make trades. it may still be difficult to trade with a rival like dallas but i'm sure they rosas would be more willing to help facilitate a 3 team deal than some other GM in his place.

in short, its easier to replace those guys in our front office than it would be for morey to become as close with all of these GM's as he is now. our front office is infiltrating the rest of the league and its kind of a good thing for us.

18. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I completely agree DD. A perfect example is Royce White going to Philly. Sam did us solid by taking that guy. Another example is the Garnett to Boston trade between Ainge and McHale. I'm sure their relationship opened the door for conversations to take place. When Morey came into the league, I believe, he had to rely a lot on CD's relationships before he could build his own network. Now, he's spreading his connections all over the league. Good for Gersson and also good for Morey (us).

For those concerned about the brain drain; we still have Morey. I'm sure he and Les knew they had quality personnel that would someday be recruited for better jobs so I'm sure they have a succession plan ready.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The Rockets big gains have been done. Itda been much worse if front office talent was poached in the rebuilding state and stunted the rebuild and set the team back a year or two.

Now Rockets can use the same desired destination image to bring in the good replacement prospects.

Remember Morey himself learned a year in paid apprenticeship before he took over the gm reigns. It can be the same type of approach with the lower positions, too. Bring in the "high upside" guys who'll get adapted into the system. Without having to bring in the restread Isiah Thomas, David Kahn (Kevin McHale) types

20. CertifiedTroll

I am ok as long we keep DM.