1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mavs fans talking ish on their boards: OT: Houston Rockets, where prospects go to die

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

By Signandtrade

I chose this as a thread topic because this is truly amazing, I haven't seen anything like what Morey has done in Houston... NOTHING. Everybody is questioning the Mavs direction in terms of player personnel but check this out. The Houston Rockets have 9 PFs and 1 pure SF on their team. Not only did they find it necessary to draft two similar players in White and T.Jones, but they chose to do so when they had literally committed the last two drafts on you guessed it, more SF/PF tweeners. OH and did I forget to mention this tidbit? They bought the rights of Furkan Alademir ... yup, another PF.

2009- Received "highly touted" Jordan Hill
    2010- drafted Patrick Patterson PF
    2011- drafted Marcus Morris and Donatas Montijunas (You guessed it, both PF). Traded for Terrence Williams (a Forward).
    2012- drafted Terrence Jones and Royce White (both natural PF) and Alademir(PF/C)

LOL LOOK AT THEIR CURRENT crop of FORWARDS!!!!

Current Roster
    Luis Scola(PF)
    Patrick Patterson(PF)
    Marcus Morris(PF)
    Royce White(SF/PF)
    Chandler Parsons(SF)
    Terrence Jones(SF/PF)
    Jon Leur (PF)
    Jeff Adrien (SF/PF)
    Jon Brockman (SF/PF)
    Greg Smith(C/PF hybrid)

Forwards on their 2011 Roster
    Terrence Williams
    Chase Budinger
    Jordan Hill
    D. Simpson

Draft Rights they own: (that i can recall off the top of my head)
    Donatas Montiejunas (PF)
    Furkan Alademir (PF)

I hope this goes to show you that even though a team can act like they are trying hard and improving their team, without a sense of direction from management, a team will have a hard time being successful. This is a prime example.

---------------------------
    by By Signandtrade

Point is, the Rockets have used their last several draft years by getting extremely similar players, effectively replacing the last with each subsequent year. Yes I know some or a lot of them will be traded, but that doesn't excuse wasted lottery picks year in and year out. Also their stockpiling of C+/B- talent is what is keeping them horrible. Yes they drafted Lamb now, but consequently, they will have to trade Kevin Martin, so where are they now (lamb's ceiling is a KMart)? Just stuck in mediocrity again and again. The point is they have no sense of direction. I don't care in what point of the season we are in, there should be no reason they should have 8-9 similar players.
    ------------------------------------------------

grumpy23 wrote: Their goal is to find the next Dirk. If they draft every PF that comes out, eventually they'll have him, by default.

Reply by Signandtrade

Yes lol but before they draft the next Dirk they have to look so active by manufacturing lateral trades in hopes to sell their fan base on their own efforts. If they want to draft the next Dirk, they should do it like everybody else, by sucking. It's funny that a team lead by a supposed MIT genius can't seem to buy that.

I just find the Rockets so interesting to follow.

Yes lol but before they draft the next Dirk they have to look so active by manufacturing lateral trades in hopes to sell their fan base on their own efforts. If they want to draft the next Dirk, they should do it like everybody else, by sucking. It's funny that a team lead by a supposed MIT genius can't seem to buy that.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=268&f=2144&t=9107191

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

Damnit.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

Well, he's right. We haven't made a move in the last 3 years to push us forward.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. 7-1 Motiejunas is going to play a TON of CENTER down here.
    2. Royce White is in no way similar to Patrick Patterson, who is in no way similar to SF Marcus Morris.
    3. Luis Scola is sexy.

(BASKETBALL DOES NOT NEED TO BE PLAYED THE SAME WAY...)

You do not need to have a traditional PG-SG-SF-PF-C team to win games.

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Dude has a point. Morey is in love with forwards. There is no denying that. Sure they might be the BPA when it is time to pick but wtf are you going to do with 7-9 forwards on this team??????

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He does have a point.

This team lacks direction.

The Lamb pick made a lot of sense IMO but the other two picks just screamed "ASSETS!"

Even the NBA guys and talking heads keep saying. "They must be planning on making a trade soon."

When do the Rockets start drafting for the Rockets? If we draft guys with the thought that they will be successful Rockets instead of nice trading pieces...perhaps we'll have valuable assets just by nature?

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

It's not our GM's fault that the owner hasn't been smart enough to rebuild properly. As annoying as Marc Cuban is sometimes, I wish he owned the Rockets.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We can't do much to defend ourselves right now.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  11. Raven

Raven Member

And you can bet when Dirk retires, Dallas won't pull this "win now" BS. They will tank and tank hard. They will tank so hard, fans will rename them The Dallas Abrams.

1 person likes this.
  12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

They should have drafted for themselves with those other two picks. It did come off as a assets pick to everyone. Thats not good business. If Lamb was taken for someone else later on and not to use? I cant agree with what they are doing at all.

13. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't see the point in having all these PF's either, but there are likely going to be some trades. Anyway, **** Dallas, I'm glad we stole away both their draft targets.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Hearing if Royce White or Jeremy Lamb had been available, Mavs probably would have stayed at 17. They like their 3-for-1 deal.</p>&mdash; Jeff Caplan (@ESPN_Caplan) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPN_Caplan/status/218559378125635585" data-datetime="2012-06-29T04:19:51+00:00">June 29, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  14. Trackball

Trackball Member

Okay, you made me go "wait, what--OH! LOL"
    Would rep if I could.
    Thanks for the laugh on this bleak night.

15. cod

cod Member

Mavs are just jelly.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>turns out, Lamb was the hope-he-falls-to-17 guy for <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Mavs">#Mavs</a></p>&mdash; mike fisher (@fishsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/218599272617230336" data-datetime="2012-06-29T06:58:22+00:00">June 29, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yeah they are. Sterns plans and Mavs fans plans didnt work out as good as they had hoped. In a deep draft someone with Moreys 3 picks was gonna fall to us. Glad Morey had the smarts to take them at least. They can laugh about the power foward glut all they want. The only real drawback is the drafting method with so many at the same spot. Other than that? Dwight disaster avoided.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

No way getting Howard would've been a disaster. If he stays you get players to play with him and win. If he leaves you're in complete rebuilding mode. The team has a clear direction either way.

18. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I thought the Suns were super high on Lamb any ways. Was pretty sure he wasn't going to last past them so the Mavs were just hoping really.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

That guy is right unfortunately. It is sad we're trying to get a player like Dirk but not wanting to make the necessary sacrifice (sucking) to do so.