1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs fan says Rockets aren't contenders.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vivid, Jan 6, 2017.

1. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I don't mean any disrespect, but you are mistaken regarding the 1993-1994 NBA Finals...the Rockets AND the Knicks were both #2 seeds that year in their respective conferences. It was the next season (1994-1995) in which the Rockets were the 6th seed...while the Knicks were the 3rd seed. Having said that, I get your point. Anything can happen once you're in the postseason.

2. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

Dude ME TOO. Watching that clown whine and rant incoherently is so entertaining. However, not sure how much I can fault him...I wouldn't expect him to know what a classy organization is, considering he probably became a Mavs fan (just speculating based on his age, I don't know for certain) around 2005 or so when the Mavericks were an extremely dirty team. And as someone who has been to seven opposing arenas, let me tell you that he isn't the only irrational, crazy, entitled Mavericks fan. I've yet to go to a game in Dallas in which a fan(s) hasn't been rude or disrespectful. That doesn't mean they're all that way, nor are those types of fans the majority. But in my experience, there seems to be quite a few of them.

3. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I'm not disagreeing with you, but let me ask you a question. The Rockets have had the 6th ranked defense since Patrick Beverley became a starter, which has caused their overall defensive ranking to steadily improve. While I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the Rockets will maintain that through the end of the regular season, lets just assume that they end up somewhere around 8th-10th overall defensively. How can we, as fans, look at a team which is top 10 both offensively (possibly 1st, time will tell) and defensively and say "They aren't quite TRUE contenders."? I realize that there are still 3+ months of regular season to be played and the Rockets could just as easily end up in the 11-15 range, but I genuinely see Houston as a Championship contender. I will always argue that any team near or within the top 10 in both offense AND defense is a contender to win it all.

topfive likes this.
  4. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

That may be true, but why do people think that "tanking" is only successful if you get the #1 pick? I'd be willing to bet that in nearly every case, the team with the worst record still ended up with a top 3 pick. IMO if you end up picking anywhere 1-3, then tanking worked. Sure, you won't always get THE best player, but then again the best player isn't always the number 1 pick.

5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I could see the Rockets being possibly bounced in the first round by a healthy Utah team; but i
    can also see the Warriors and SAS losing to Utah as well.

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

Let the winning do the talk. We were crap last year so its natural that people aren't putting us up there with the Top 3. We still don't know how this team will perform in the playoffs.

Relax guys. Some rockets fans are always searching for approval in others lol

7. Vivid

Vivid Member

Losing some heart, that seems to point to Bev or maybe even Ariza.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  8. hvic

hvic Member

I hope they use that pick for a bust

9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Warriors don't have the dept

10. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

If we loose any of those it better be for a legit ass player bc of not than what is the point. Both of those guys are awesome

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Noooooooooooooo

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If we lose bev and Ariza and it ain't Paul George coming back I think it would be a huge mistake.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it's (in order)

Cavs
    Warriors
    Spurs/Rockets
    Clippers
    Raptors
    Grizzlies

Everyone else.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Btw, imo the Mavs have been so atrocious at drafting players that if they didn't have the 1st or 2nd pick, there's a good possibility they pick up a bust.

However, I think the Mavs will 100% trade the pick, and I worry that it will be for Cousins and that Carlisle/Cuban/NewEnvironment will right Cousins' career.

15. bongman

bongman Member

Oh boy. Beverley, Trez, Dekker are the ones I consider brave hearts for the team. Hope we don't lose Bev

Richie_Rich, Pen15clubber and Vivid like this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Its like saying the Cowboys aren't contenders from Texans fans.

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

OMG, stop over rating the Jazz! They are not that good. Comments like this is the reason why I want the Rockets to play the Jazz in the Playoffs so you can all STFU.

18. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

@thedude077. C)Gobert PF) Favors SG) Gordon Hayward SG) Joe Johnson PG) George Hill

Reserves: Shelvin Mack (counters EGo defensively), Rodney Hood, Alec Burks, Exum, Diaw,
    Ingles, Lyles, Whitey

You really think Utah will be a push-over. You don't know basketball. You are judging them as
    an injured team. They can match and counter everything the current Houston team can throw
    at them. Plus they have greater defensive potential as a healthy Utah team > than a healthy
    Houston team. Houston gets its points from at the rim & 3-pointers. Utah has the ability
    to take away points at the rim (or challenge them at a good %) while running the Rox off the
    3 point line. I would rather face the Spurs. So I recommend you STFU.

Edited later: At the time of this edit George Hill has played in 13 of the 37 games & Alec Burks 2.
    They have 22 wins basically without them. Favors and Diaw have missed games as well. Utah
    has the ability to go "all big" or mix it up and go "all small." They may be trouble for whoever
    faces them. Despite your objections.

#58 Jatman20, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Everytime someone says Mavs fan, i think of this guy

Tha_Dude likes this.
  20. bongman

bongman Member

None taken as somebody already corrected me on this. Thanks for keeping me straight. :)