1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavericks intend to sign Harrison Barnes to a four-year max offer sheet

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Oh god I hope it's the Mavericks who actually successfully sign him for the Max.

That would be amazing.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Harrison Barnes: $24MM/year
    Draymond Green: $17 MM/year
    Klay Thompson: $17 MM/year
    Steph Curry: $11 MM/year

Please let this happen to the Warriors.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Yeah, but the gap is closing.

:p

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not a fan of Les, but don't want Cuban either. But could not agree more on maxing Barnes instead of Anderson.

5. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

We didn't max Anderson is the thing. We paid him what he's worth while Dallas was forced to give Barnes the max in hopes the Warriors wouldn't match.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is not overpaying if you can afford it, and all you care about is winning.

DD

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

You would make a terrible GM like Isaiah Thomas.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This logic is...flawed...

9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Wow... This guy sucks...

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He's far too raw for the max. I don't care if he played for a 73 win team or not. He's a bench utility guy at best on most teams.

Honestly, Cuban is no dummy and to me this just sounds like Dallas making sure GS gets no discounts by waiting out the market on Barnes. I applaud Cuban for that. Someone has to try to mess with that GS team who was just an all time great regular season team. While I relish the idea of Cuban overpaying on Barnes, I like the idea of GS overpaying on him, even more.

1 person likes this.
  11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Damn, they just won't go away. I want them to suck so bad.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Better of these West guys go East.... unless they completely screw a rival.

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that's how i see it. someone had to step up and put the max on the table to make sure GS paid it. it might as well be a team that's probably bitter about it's own FA offseason and wants to stick it to the warriors. if GS actually rejects it and dallas is stuck with the contract, part of me would be happy but then i would feel bad that cuban stepped up for the other 29 teams and got punished.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dallas and GSW will both be worse off if Barnes goes to Dallas IMO

Well .. . I don't think Dallas is better but i know GSW would be worse

Rocket River

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Dallas has a pretty big hole at the SF right now so Barnes would be a welcome addition as a warm body who can be a starting SF in the league. That being said, GS had the shooters and offense generators to make Barnes limitations not stick out as much which is I guess another way for me to say the "max" is too much for Barnes on any roster BUT the Warriors.

One final point, assuming Durant isn't a punk and flees to GS, GS will have a hole at the SF if they don't resign Barnes. Well not a hole, but a much bigger question mark because Iggy is getting up there in age and his minutes would presumably increase if they didn't have Barnes there and it robs them of having a former all star come in with the 2nd unit. I guess that's also the long way to say that Golden State really can't afford to let Barnes go if they don't get Durant.

16. sabesque

sabesque Member

Love how Marc Stein preempting the reason why they'll miss for the Mavs. He's basically saying that the Mavericks understand how RFA works.

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

They should have signed him on day one of FA and they could have started the 3 day window before Durant decided.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Get your priorities straight, fellas. Dallas will suck regardless and Dirk is honestly done within a couple of years; Barnes won't hurt them.

We should all be cheering for GSW to match and absolutely wreck their cap. This will be even more true next summer when Curry gets his payday

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Can't argue that, although Barnes might have more potential. But I'm one who HATES paying excess for potential, as it almost always never accrues.

Can't reboot while Dirk is there. Not really in Cuban's DNA, either, although I think he'd probably do it now if it weren't for Dirk.

Trade Matthews for....who??

20. JonathanK

JonathanK Member

You don't know how Free Agency and RFA work do you? Nobody, can officially sign until July 7. Starting July 1, the players can talk contracts and agree to them, but cannot sign them. So, the earliest Barnes can sign an RFA contract with the Mavs is July 7. Meaning the Warriors have till July 10th to match or let him go. Barnes can agree to a contract right now, but no matter what the case is, it can't be official till July 7. Then as I said, the Warriors have 3 days from then.