1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavericks' Beaubois breaks foot at FIBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by arjun, Aug 8, 2010.

1. arjun

arjun Member

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Too bad for Beaubois. But, I'm glad it happened to Cuban's player because he's such an ass about his guys playing in international competitions. Of course, the injury will just re-affirm his conviction that he shouldn't let his players compete anywhere else and he'll be an even bigger ass.

3. Prince

Prince Member

yes yea and yeah..

4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Bad for the Mavs, good for us :grin: :grin:

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think Cuban may have a point, though. People think national teams represent the country, Cuban argues that organizations like USA Basketball, IOC, USOC and FIBA are simply other private entities who have their own income and expenses. Money earned from these competitions don't go back to the public coffers of the member countries and fund, say, public schools or bridge contruction, do they?

6. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Bet they had offered Jermey Lin even more money now. :p

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's because the expenses aren't shouldered by the company as well. Schools and bridges are funded by the government, so if there's income there the gov't gets to collect it (like maybe tuition or toll fees). International teams like these on the other hand are funded by private companies (like the NBA) so they get to keep the revenue. Its not like participating in an event like this is a cash cow, although the players play for free you have to give them food, lodging, and of course the transportation for the entire team, coaches and staff. Not only that if you're serious about winning you have to rent facilities beforehand for the team to practice, again incurring costs for food, trainers, masseusses etc. for the entire team. Who knows, maybe some of the staff are full time so you have to pay their salaries too. Of course no international team goes out without any advertisement whatsoever so you need get ads out showcasing the team, incurring even more advertisement costs.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if a serious international team breaks even, most teams actually get sponsors just to help raise funds. IIRC Stern and Colangelo sunk millions of $$$ just for the redeem team.

8. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Man, why not Dirk?

Eh, I'll take it!

:)

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Damn that kinda sucks for him. He used to be able to dunk.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He has a point, but he's still being a dick. The dollars may not go to the people, but these teams are seen as the Teams of their respective countries and their citizens identify with those teams as a point of national pride. Just like residents of particular cities identify with city-branded NBA franchises and give their money to these for-profit enterprises partly on the strength of geographic loyalty. The difference is that national teams are non-profit and are engaged in it for patriotism.

I can see Cuban arguing with the student volunteer for his alma mater -- "why would I my money for free to this institution that is running its own enterprise and that I've already paid money to for services when I was younger just so some other kid can get cheap education and then compete with my own progeny for jobs when they're older?" Or the Red Cross -- "why would I give my blood, that I made myself using food I bought with my own money, to this organization that's just going to give it away to people who will then use my blood to continue living and then working to make more money which they will keep for themselves and never give me a dime of it back?" I think it kinda misses the point.

11. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Actually non-profit organizations make a profit, however they can only re-invest in themselves. They could also store the money away for a rainy day (some non-profit organizations have a huge surplus of cash).

Question is human beings are not always morally correct, so there is nothing to prevent folks who work in those area's to deceive the public, as in getting paid a really high Salary or getting re-reimbursed for expensive travel.

Mark is just pissed those non-profit guys don't have to pay $10 million dollar contacts to earn their money. Mark feels since he pretty much paid $10 million dollars, his investment better stay healthy (I am going to have agree Mark has a reason to be pissed)

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Kinda sorta, but some of them generate large revenues and are run with the intent of maximizing such, and a lot of them end up paying the players. I think the spain WC champs took home $750 k each as their winners bonus.

13. Dream Shake 81

Unfortunate for him. Injuries are something we should never wish on anyone. We as fans know what it can do to an individual, and a team. So I send condolences.

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I like him. I know he plays for the Mavs but it ios not his fault. He was fun to watch last year.

Really, why couldn't it happen to Dirk?

15. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Let me make it even clearer - non-profits make money for the people who are employed by them - people pull down $150K and $200K salaries at some of these places and then try to front like they are in it to help the starving kids or whatever.

Hypocrites.

16. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

LOL @ cuban and his ponies

17. dreamshake09

dreamshake09 Member

Yes, some people pull down large salaries, some don't. Who are you to judge and generalize?

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I won't send condolences,but I totally agree with the rest of it.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I've always had an issue with NBA players playing in the offseason. Of course, I understand the patriotism and the roots back home, but it's such a risk for the NBA and die-hard fans like us.

I'm glad Yao isn't doing it anymore.