1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Schaub IS OUT OF EXCUSES

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SSP365, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSP365

SSP365 Member

He's got a pro bowl caliber o line (multiple players based on last year).

He's got a pro bowl hall of fame wide receiver in Dre.

He's got a pro bowl running back and a very capable back up in tate.

He's got a pro bowl caliber tight end in owen daniels.

He's got a head coach who has somehow tricked people into thinking he's some "offensive/qb guru" in gary kubiak. Kubiak zealots even like to mention that he's got superbowls.

The defense is still talented and cushing is back.

And now he's got his 2nd receiver in Hopkins that a lot of Schaub Slurpers like to use as an excuse as to why the offense struggled so much last year.

Patriots are going through a lot of distractions and subtractions. The Ravens lost half of their squad.

Everything is setting up nicely for the Texans and Pro Bowl Legend Matt Schaub this year.

I dont want to hear any more excuses.

1 person likes this.
  2. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Neat thread!

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is TJ not even a real option? It is his 3rd year.

DD

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is all new information! Well done!

1 person likes this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Tj Yates may not even win the backup Jon, why would anyone think he is an option as a starter?

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So a 12-4 record, playoff win and the 7th/8th-ranked offense in a league of 32 teams... that's an interesting definition of struggle.

P.S. You don't have a "Pro Bowl-caliber" offensive line when the second-most important position on it is an enormous question mark.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The line was not elite last year. They ran the ball very ineffectively which led to them having to throw more... and when this team gets one dimensional (all passing), they're bad.

When the offense succeeds, they're running the ball at an elite level... and hitting the big plays off the play-action (set up by the elite running) or quick-hit passes.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Chris Myers is still a top 5 Center though he's on the downside of his career. Other than that, Duane Brown is the only elite o-lineman. The right side was very vulnerable last season and it really showed, especially whenever they ran right. So overall, I'd agree with Nick and say the line wasn't elite last year.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think we've seen the best of Schaub. Now it's just whether the decline is a rapid thud or a slow descent. I'm tired of hearing about the line or this or that. It's always everything but Schaub.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just like when the team is winning and the offense is elite, its due to everything but Schaub.

Can't have it both ways.

I agree... Schaub isn't going to win it on his own. Most QB's in the NFL aren't. The Texans need to have everything clicking for this offense to be elite. When the other pieces are in place, Schaub usually does his job quite well.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't think Schaub making plays is him winning it on his own. He's a largely accurate passer when there's no pressure and people are wide open but thats what you expect from an NFL QB. He still under throws long passes with regularity, he will force throws into coverage, and he has little ability or presence to move within the pocket to avoid the rush much less any real scrambling ability which is had an effect on the play action roll outs last season.. He is ready to go fetal position at the first sign of a rusher, especially up the middle. This team requires more than competency or a take what the defense gives you type quarterback, however you want to characterize him. He may have been a top ten type QB in the past but there are more than 10 guys I'd rather have than Schaub right now.

12. ln3012

ln3012 Member

many forget that schaub was also a pro bowler himself last season

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Warming up my Keenum chant

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Odds are TJ will still be the backup. But reportedly he's stagnating while Keenum is improving so Case moving up to #2 is a real possibility.

15. basketballholic

Crossing my fingers that Johnny football falls to us.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you're criticizing him for only being good when players are wide open, but he's bad because he forces throws into coverage?

As you presume most QB's can be accurate when there is no pressure, most QB's also get worse when there is pressure up the middle. Most QB's will get burned when forcing throws into coverage as well. Schaub's responsibility is to execute the offense... move the ball... and make accurate throws to the guy most open. I agree, if he's covered, I don't want Schaub (or any other QB) forcing the throw. I also want him to be throwing to wide open players more often than not... that means our offense is clicking.

I certainly think he's overpaid, but I also think that if he plays well... this team can be in position to win any game.

#16 Nick, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  17. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Keenum will be the back up. Coaching staff loves him and you can tell at the training camp.

18. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Keenum will be the backup this year.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

SSP365 -- please do us all a favor and stop creating new threads in any forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.