1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Maloney Obligation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET!!!, Oct 6, 2001.

1. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Under the CBA are we allowed to buy-out the Matt Maloney obligation next year. With him being waived, I can not find anything in the CBA about buy-outs of previously waived players.

HCrispeeP,
    Do you have any thoughts on this? It would make sense for the Rocks to pursue this course of action next year to set themselves up for the Franchise resigning.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm with you. I don't think we can find anything in the CBA. I think stuff like buy-outs is in Player Contracts as amendments. I do not believe they are required in all contracts, so we are left guessing.

What we can say is what a buy-out does. I buy-out is a mutual agreement between both parties to accept a lump sum in lieu of current obligations. The salary cap effect of this is to spread the buy-out in equal parts across the remaining guaranteed years of the contract. Thus the salary cap hit becomes the buyout spread across the remaining years.

Again, I do not think all contracts require such buyout clauses. Further, both parties must agree. We cannot unilaterally buyout Maloney or Cato.

3. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

HP,
    Oh God! A Buy-out of Benchboy. Be still my heart.

"Excuse me, LAZY@$$!!! We would like to buy-out your contract. What would you say to $20 million right now to never show your pathetic worthless carcass around here again?"

"You see, if we give you $20 million right now you can invest it and actually have more money in the long run. Then you wouldn't even need to bother to show up here any more. Not that you do anyway."

"This buy-out would allow you to go ahead and do whatever you want, like writing more children's books, and not even be bothered with that pesky, silly old basketball. Wouldn't that be great LARDBUTT?"

"Of course it will adversely impact the team, just like you are trying to do now."

"Hey Les, lets not tell the CRACKA that it is better for the team by reducing our annual obligation. We wouldn't want USELESS to know that he could actually inadvertently do some positive work for the team."