1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Guokas:Keep Patrick Ewing away from Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mirror_image, Jan 14, 2004.

1. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Link:
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3909399/

HOUSTON
    To keep Patrick Ewing away from Yao Ming. Ewing was brought in as an assistant coach primarily to tutor the second-year, 7-foot-5 center, but Yao's play hasn't improved and now we're hearing he might not be tough enough or mean enough to succeed in the NBA.

I'm sorry if this article has been posted before.

2. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

its not patricks fault if yao is not aggresive and often plays uninspired. i think ewing is doing a good job of teaching but yao has just not converted his game yet. guokas doesnt know ish.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

any evidence of that?
    I cannot tell that Ewing is doing ANYTHING at all

Rocket River
    sitting on the bench . . .

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you can tell what he is doing when you see cato or mo play. yao will come along too...

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Ewing might be doing a great job or he might just have the best front row seat for all of the games. How are any of us suppose to know?

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

When I see Patrick Ewing sitting there he looks a very lithargic person, one lacking in sleep. If he is thinking of moving into a Head Coaching Position, how can he be dedicated to the needs of the Rockets and particularly Yao Ming? The things that are lacking in Yao Mings Game are difficult to teach and need to be demonstrated. I cant think of anyone better than Moses Malone as a Teacher for Yao Ming.

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have Kareem.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

We're judging people by how they look on the bench?

How about putting your Malone crusade on the back burner for awhile. Malone "taught" Olajuwon by hammering him at Fonde...Malone turns 49 in March. If you still want to judge people superficially, Malone's speech level would require an interpreter for Colin Pine to interpret to Yao.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

Everybody knows Ewing's best move is his jump shot. His post move is suspect. At the time Ewing played, lots of people in the Knicks organization complained that Ewing never went to the big man's camp to improve his low post plays. I don't know if it is true or not.

As I said before, aggressiveness has two sides, mental and techniques. Duncan is really good at techniques, so on the court, he has so many moves that he does not need to be super aggressive.

10. sun12

sun12 Member

By the way, I would like to see Yao to have more post moves just like a Duncan. He is not the type of player like Shaq. If he eventually can reach Duncan's level, he has to learn many moves.
    Ewing is not the perfect teacher for that. He himself does not have much moves.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Kareem smoke too many "DOOBIES", He's just too stone to be a mentor. Hakeem wil be a great teacher for Yao , but that's another issue.

12. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

yep, he also gets my vote. He's frame and style of play is nearer
    to Yao then any other center. As new studies say, work and use
    your strenghts and stop working on your weaknesses.

sky hook all the wayyyyyyyyyy

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

like i said... someone w/ a proven track record would've been better. john thompson or... carroll dawson.

edit: but a lot of the blame still rests on yao's shoulders.

#13 OmegaSupreme, Jan 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  14. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

I think he's thinking about Treasures.

15. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Kareem is a LEGEnD of the OLD school league. Its not gonna get it done here in the NEW era of the GAME. Todays game is more physical than anything else.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I assume the following has been posted in some other Yao-or-Ewing thread, but I was shocked to read the following quotation from Patrick:

"Oh, I'm ready. Hey, I see Terry Porter doing a fantastic job (with the Milwaukee Bucks) and he only had one year experience (as an assistant coach). This is my second, so the sky's the limit."
    -- Rockets assistant coach Patrick Ewing, in the Jan. 9 Newark Star-Ledger, on his interest in head coaching in the NBA. Ewing is in his second year as an assistant, after one year on Doug Collins' bench with the Wizards

17. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Thompson? Are you kidding me? Just because he sounds very intellectual doesnt mean that he is. The guy belongs on the sidelines with a mic clipped on his shirt. Which is where he is. FREAKEN Thompson is AWESOME at BS-ing.

Besides, the freaken guy is biased towards international & Asian players. The last time I Checked Yao is Asian, right? Guys like Thompson, Greg Anthony and many more have been dogging Yao since day one. THEY STILL ARE! They look at the box scores and analyze from there on. FORGET Thompson, I'd rather have Bill Lam-Beer Red daWG style!

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't think you can dawg Thompson. I hate the guy myself. But Mutombo, Mourning, Harrington, and Ewing were all projects. Almost all of them were thin in college and developed into agressive, strong, players when they left school. Thompson can get it done.

I saw a lot of improvement in Yao at the game. His moves were not this quick a year ago. It's sinking in. He's still soft. But that is something Yao has to improve. The only thing I would like to see is that he gets his hands up. when he tries to block he often sticks his hands at the ball a-la Karl Malone instead of up in the air to distract the shooter.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Matt Guokas is an idiot. Why don't you ask Yao himself how much Patrick has helped him out? I think he'd have a better idea than some old coaching retread who's probably seen us play only once or twice.

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

First of all, a jump shot is not a move. Second, his bread and butter move was his fadeaway.....which was very much a post move. Ewing was always fantastic at getting good position on the blocks, and backing his man down, and hitting that fadeaway.

He had other post moves as well, and even a decent baby hook. Ewing played more in the post than anywhere. Sure, he had a nice midrange game as well, but that's a compliment not a detriment.