1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Bullard is killing the rockets television broadcast.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, Mar 7, 2010.

1. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

Did no one else read this sentence? I read all 4 pages and no one else mentioned it. It makes no sense.

2. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

the sentence was a part of the thread title. i was talking about bullard and to a lesser degree worrell getting upset with calls against the rockets when replays show that the official got the call right. the point i was trying to make was that i can understand the broadcasters rooting for the rockets . what i don't like is when they let their emotions take over and they can't be objective.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Matt is better than Clyde, but both are fine. Where is Calvin? He is not on the radio anymore, hope he can come back.

4. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Agreed

5. rage

rage Member

1) Sometimes the refs got the calls right, sometimes they got them wrong.

2) When Bullard and Worrel complained, more often than not, the calls were indeed wrong.
    If you disagree with this, it's just your opinion against mine.

3) Even if the calls were right, so what if they show a little bias for the Rockets? They are the Rocket's broadcasting team after all.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

Maybe we could get John Madden...

7. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Now that's what you call: Making a negative comment about Clyde's abilities as a commentator.

8. aznboi

aznboi Contributing Member

we definitely need some better commentators

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

I like Bullard enough. I wish they got rid of Drexler and brought back Calving. Then we would have a great line up.

10. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

I used to not like him, but I've come to enjoy his commentating and sometimes even find it funny. He brings life to broadcasting, bill warrel too

11. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

i love bull hes hilarious

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats what I think at times. Too indulgent in his own humor. He can the take the "Announcer You'd Want To Have Beer With" thing too far outside the context of the game.

Drexler takes things too far outside the context of Earth.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Bull is okay, and is better than Clyde IMO.

My favorite was Calvin Murphy -
    "IS THAT AN ATTITUDE YAO?!?!

IS THAT AN ATTIDUTE???

DID YOU SEE WHAT I JUST SAW!!!!!"

-after Yao's dunk over Wallace his rookie year. He really got into the games.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Bull has a flaw, it's doing a shtick to death. Last game was an example. A Motown reference from time to time would have been entertaining. He did it the entire game to the point where I wanted to mute the TV. Bill was obviously bugged about it, but did the best he could trying to go along with the running "joke." The "Hey Bud, let's party!" line is another I enjoyed until it was done to death. Bull's problem is learning to be a bit more restrained in his delivery, to be more subtle, to use a good line or joke enough to be funny, but not so much that it becomes an irritant. I love the guy, but he still has a learning curve in the broadcast business.

Bill? He's terrific. He needs a good sidekick. He needs Mr. Calvin Murphy, former Rocket and member of the Hall of Fame. A true original who has more basketball knowledge in his pinky finger than most of us could ever dream of having. Lord, how I miss Murph!

15. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

THIS.

Oh, man. Could you imagine if Bill retired, for instance, tomorrow?

We would have Bullard and Drexler being our commentators.

Bull...and Drexler.

:(

16. dutchbut

dutchbut Contributing Member

I Love everything Rockets well everything but Bullards broadcasting. Last night I had enough and turned the TV to the listen to the Detroit broadcasters. I am done with watching Rockets Broadcasters.

17. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Bull is horrible. Why can't we get Jeff Van Gundy? It's not like we can't pay him more than ESPN.

18. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

And while we're at it, can we hire Charles Barkely and Craig Sager?

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What about Walt Frasier?

Aren't we supposed to get him?

20. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

If I had one wish in life, it would be for Morgan Freeman to commentate the Rockets.