1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Bullard is killing the rockets television broadcast.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mdoggnic, Mar 7, 2010.

1. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Dude really really! I'm getting tired of people like you fussing people like me for starting stupid threads. This is a public forum where discussing any and all things Rockets is encouraged. I do enjoy the game of basketball, however, I just wasn't a huge fan of Bull's 85th reference to Motowns top hits. I started this thread to get a sense of how other Rockets fans felt about our local broadcast team. Thanks for the input!

2. mdoggnic

Very good point.

3. rage

rage Member

Bullard is fine. He is knowledgeable about the game and he is funny. I like him.

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Bull is fine when he doesn't try force his "jokes". It's normal for television personalities (who aren't comedians) to unsuccessfully try to be funny but when the joke inevitably bombs just move on.

The "hey...hey...hey, Bill!" think he does trying to force a laugh after one of his "jokes" is much more annoying.

5. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Making a list of 50 or so Motown song titles and trying to force every one of them into a game broadcast instead of talking about the game is moronic. It was self-serving and indulgent. Even Bill Worrell told him several times people were gonna stop watching or mute the tv if he kept it up. Someone needs to tell him that it's about the Rockets, not about him.

They should make some changes this offseason in the broadcast team(s). Bullard could just work the halftime show with Kevin. It's tough to watch a game with him and his stupid 'Comedy that isn't even funny' routine.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is because you are a man of prose......

;)

DD

7. jason3333

jason3333 Member

memo to bill worrell, stop getting all hype when the pistons score on fastbreaks! be a damn homer dude and have something to drink bill u know u want too. i watch the rox on tv and i want to hear my announcer for my team atleast be a little pissed off when the rox are giving up easy baskets, not getting excited when the other team scores and for bulllard i have no comment, that guy needs a lot of work

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

My opinion....Matt is corny as hell. The Motown stuff last night was lame and got old quick. He's not bad, but Matt is not great by any stretch...he is two times better than Clyde "that's called" Drexler. Clyde is by far the worst thing i've ever heard on TV. Even worse than the Boston guys. lol

I Love my Rockets, thank God I don't have to love my commentators lol.

Bring Calvin back

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Are you serious? Worrell is as big as a homer as the rest of us but he gives credit when its due. If it's a good play, he'll call it like one. Not like the rest of those lame home announcers that speak in monotone when the Rockets make a great play against their team. And Bill does call out the Rockets when they are not playing well.

As for Clyde, I actually like him. He doesn't speak nonsense throughout the game like Bull. Clyde is at least funny. Maybe unintentional funny but that is the best type!

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Honestly, I really don't like that because I feel that if I wanted to listen to a fan then i'd go to the game or a bar. I like Bull because he has humor, knowledge and chemistry with Bill but when they go on their rants about how bad the officials are, it gets on my nerves. I understand we get screwed but I can see it with my human eyes, don't really need Bill and Bull going on a short story about it.

#70 rockets934life, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  11. BarkleyHater84

I like Matt Bullard. I don't really see how he is "killing" the broadcast. Have you watched other teams broadcast? Don't compare him to the national guys like Hubie or Van Gundy. Those guys are very good and on ABC and ESPN for a reason. Watch the Bucks or Suns or Timberwolves broadcast team. Those guys are bad. Give the guy a break.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Like I said in another post, the only good thing about losing Landry is we don't have to hear anymore Earth, Wind and Fire references when he, Brooks and Hayes are on the floor together.

13. jason3333

jason3333 Member

IMO he's not homer enough! i can see a person not wanting to show his ass and not say anything that might get him in trouble, but jesus the last thing i want to hear is my announcer all over the other teams jock. i am mad enough already with whats going on i do not need an announcer making it worse by getting excited what the other team did. but if u like then fine u are a better person than me.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Thread officially failed.

15. jason3333

jason3333 Member

if he wants to give credit to the other team, then do it after the game when no one is watching, the rockets pay his ass to work for the rox not the other nba teams! if that means he cant interview players from the opposing winning team then great, what rocket fan wants to watch and interview with the other teams player anyway when the rox lost to the team? answer me that bud!

16. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Bullard is terrible. It's embarrassing we can't get someone better than Bullard or Clyde to do games.

17. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I like Clyde much more than Bullard because he's so extremely off-the-wall and crazy with his commentary that it's hilarious. Bullard isn't funny at all. I don't need basketball numbers/knowledge thrown at me, I want comedy and Clyde (by being ridiculous) delivers.

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Meh, I'm not a big fan of Bullard either, but he's at least somewhat funny. I mean, when Bullard and Bill start going back and forth at one another, it's pretty hilarious.

Clyde, though... man... I loved the guy as a player, but he should not be anywhere near a microphone.

19. HAKEEM4EVER

HAKEEM4EVER Member

A couple song references a game but the way he was doing it the other night was very annoying. You can tell Worrell was annoyed by it too. It's like Bullard actually thinks he's funny. I love it when Worrell ignores him.

20. mdoggnic

your reply officially failed.