1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mathamatical breakdown of why Kobe's 31 points on 25 shots last night was not efficient

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 2016Champions, Oct 30, 2014.

1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Last night, a lot of Kobe fans got pretty excited about the 31 points he scored on 25 shots. I think it's nothing short of miraculous that he came back from that career-threatening Achilles injury the way he has. You have to take your hat off to a man even haters can't deny is one of the hardest working players of this generation. You never see him at parties or weddings, although I'm not sure anyone invites him because I heard only paid staff showed up to his kids birthdays, but if no one likes him it's because he's all business (which is a good and bad thing sometimes). His "killer-instinct" doesn't have an off-switch. No man, woman, or child within his vicinity is safe from his venomous nature, the "Black Mamba" will strike you with spiteful words like it's game 7 of the NBA Finals when it's just the first game of the regular season. On the surface he always looks chill, but this man doesn't know the meaning of chill. Anyway, you get the point.

Obsessive-compulsive disorders aside, an efficient 1st option should have at least a 55% true shooting percentage, and Kobe's career TS% is 55.5% so he usually qualifies. However, in this particular game his TS% was 52.5%, and I will explain how I calculated that.

He had 25 shots, and if you include the shooting fouls (7 for 7 from the line) he essentially had 28 shots (every shooting foul is equivalent to taking a shot--an extremely efficient shot for good free throw shooters like Kobe). Now, add up the points he scored (31) with the shoots he took (28), and lets call that number 'X' (59). Divide the amount of points he scored by 'X' and you will have his TS% for that game--31 points on 28 shots is 52.5%TS.

So, long story short, Kobe was not efficient this game. For contrast, you can use this neat little graph I found to see where the TS% other players in the league typically stand. Now, I'm going to shut up before the masses of Kobe fans who take criticisms towards Kobe to the heart track me down and murder me in my sleep.

2. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But Kobe was playing in a disjointed offense with no floor spacing, no timing and chemistry and no one else generating anything and thus ended up forcing a good number of shots because they had no alternatives.

His efficiency would have been better if he had, say, the Dallas Mavs starters next to him.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he has no alternatives b/c he gobbled up 40% of his team's capspace and nobody wants to play with his greedy ass :grin:

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He has to carry Jeremy Lin, who refuses to run the offense

1 person likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So many words to just say, "His TS% was ____."

1 person likes this.
  7. arjun

arjun Member

here is a breakdown for you:

If Kobe didn't put up the 31, the Lakers would have probably lost by 40 points last night. Kobe has to take those shots and score at a high rate just to give the Lakers a SLIGHT chance of being competitve in the game

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Don't get rattled by the hype. They ooh and ahhhh for no reason.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I cannot discern anyone on that team runninng any offense. Notu Lin, not Kobe, not anyone else. It is a total mess. They would have been better off with DAntoni

10. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I wish it was that easy. To this day, I still come across a lot of people who use fg% as the only measure of scoring efficiency. Far too many people don't understand the concept of TS%.

11. Mr. Clutch

Lin is the PG.

If no offense is being run, it's on him.

12. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

This thread is making me miss JCDenton.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

CF used to say, "Who would you want to run the offense, Harden or Lin?"

14. Mr. Clutch

Kobe says Lin

15. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

If I can't trust your spelling, how the hell can I trust your "mathematical" capabilities?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure I get your point. :confused:

17. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

He would have more players generating offense if his tsc%(true salary cap%) wasn't also 52%.

18. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Doesn't ts also account for 3pt%? Did you factor that, or am I mistaken?

19. scottie brooks

My words. You took them from my mouth.

20. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

I don't care what you say. What he did was impressive.
    11/25 and 7/7 at the line is efficient no matter how you cut it.
    He also had 3 assists, 2 steals and 4 boards.

At his age and with his injury history that is damn near amazing.