1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matching up with GSW's "Hamptons Five"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, May 9, 2018.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's weird because Ryno has actually been effective against the Warriors this year but I don't know why you'd put him out htere against the small lineups when Luc or PJ is available.

Maybe use him to pull Magee/West/ZaZa away from the basket? Not sure how he fits in otherwise.

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I would like to see Capela park the paint.

This is no longer Donovan Mitchell and a bunch of nobodies, Warriors have too many excellent one-on-one matchups for Capela to constantly defend on the perimeter with a switch. Capela is best when he's in the paint blocking shots instead of chasing down guards.

Plus, Warriors' offense relies a lot on dribble penetration by Curry or Durant and the kick-out for open threes. Take that away. Guard the perimeter and lock down the paint. Force them to settle for midrange jumpers. 3 > 2 math.

MyLateRegistration and Ziggy like this.
  3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think they have 4 playmakers.

Green
    Curry
    Durant
    Iggy

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Pelicans got destroyed by bad TO’s and lack of capitalizing on the Warriors mistakes.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wow,
    that's a thicc rub.

7. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Yeah i understand your point. But Ryno was part of a version of the Rockets' small ball line up right (correct me if I'm wrong here). I thought Ryno was a small ball 5 in some scenarios. Again, not sure how he would match up against the "Hampton's".....I was just stating his Parking Lot threat ability is important.

8. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Also, when it comes to Parking Lot ability, neither Luc nor Tucker are better at that than Ryno (if/when hes' on). I would love for Ryno to hit something of the tune 3-8 deep 3's per game. Is that asking too much?

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I need to go back to watch but the Warriors against the Cavs employed a quick switch moving curry off a guard and hedging so he was quickly switched off. He may start possessions off on Tucker or Ariza as a result. I think the Warriors made that switch as the Cavs were about to set their screen. The Rockets are far more creative offensively though than that Cavs team was though. MDA will find a way to expose that, not that the Warriors will not try to do that.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kerr said he will probably make use of those guys more.....

Swaggy P Young (hasn't been great but apparently he plays well against us)
    Javale 'Shaqtin'/Zaza
    David West
    Livingston

While still having those:

Quinn Cook
    Kevon Looney/Bell

#30 daywalker02, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  11. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Yeah that sounds like the only logical thing to do. Switch back faster than the opposing switch lol. It would also force Curry into guarding the Tucker/Ariza/Luc 3 from the quick CP3/Harden pass from the PNR.

The only thing I ask of the Rockets besides defensive focus, is DO NOT HESITATE TO SHOOT 3s. This goes for everyone not named CP3/Harden. If they get a crack of light in the attic....SHOOT IT!

Seriously, Ariza/Tucker/Luc/Ryno need to just shoot pretty much the moment the ball is swung to them off a pick or penetration. This will really keep the Worriers' defense scrambling and expending energy to contest. Those shots will fall once they get into a rhythm....but they need to shoot those. That's part of their strength and identity.

12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Time for Capela to earn that $$$.
    X-Factor. We want to make the worriers try and match our line up.

13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

not worried.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

One thing is clear. The bench has to nut the **** up. Gordon needs to find Jesus aka Ray Allen and Nene has to risk it and take some PEDs. We need to own the Warriors sorry ass bench unit.

I know Green will show up.

Ryno has to be able to own a 40 year old David West

MiracleShot and lionaire like this.
  15. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Draymonds gonna get these hands

[​IMG]

Nick_713 likes this.
  16. valorita

valorita Member

defensively it doesn’t matter because we switch everything so everyone takes a turn guarding everyone else.

17. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

They recently called it the "Hampton's Five"...but it's their Death Lineup, from the opening tip.

18. Coach E

Coach E Member

Honestly I think we should go the opposite of what you said and when they try to PnR they actually get the defender we wanted all along.

19. dje243

dje243 Member

If we can limit turnovers we get back on defense Capela should be fine. I agree with those stating that we need to make them match up with us rather than the other way around. Lob game has to be on point. Capela can move in space and recover when he gets beat. The biggest threat to me in this series is actually Thompson.

20. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I think a HUGE key this series is how well Draymond shoots the 3.

I can see Clint/PJ sitting off him quite a bit to help watch KD/Stephs drive.