1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matching up against the Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff Who, Nov 8, 2008.

1. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Lakers win by 10.

Our defense is a mess right now and our defensive rebounding is as bad as it can be. The Lakers will masscare us with Bynum, Odom and Gasol inside similar to what Aldridge did against us.

We MUST control the tempo and rebound well.

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Yeah I agree. I belive we can rebound better but Yao looks off right now and he just doesn't want those rebounds. It is said that if you want a rebound more than your opponent, than you will get it.

But I belive free throws will be the key. If they go there 40 times than we are done.

3. killlogan

killlogan Member

I hate it when people say the lakers is the best team in NBA. Had the lakers beat the celtics and won the championship last season, then they should deserve the "best team", but the fact is that they were defeated absolutely in the finals. We just need another Big man to backup yao, and we'll do tahn with signing back deke.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

this thread reeks of fear. shame on you, Rocket fans.

and we have landry

5. Francis388

Francis388 Contributing Member

I think its rediculous when people try to compare the two teams by just taking each matchup and seeing who has an advantage. Fact is, the lakers are playing like a team much better than we are. Until we figure out how to play as a team, which we will, and get back battier, it does not matter which side the less or greater sign is pointing.

6. tracy1mcgrady4l

we will win if t-mac bring his game.i don't think yao can handel bynum nor pau.

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

that is excatly what i wrote

8. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

Normally, Yao Ming would dominate Bynum, but that's not a given right now since he's in a complete funk.

9. Francis388

Francis388 Contributing Member

yea, i wasnt going against you, just he million other threads i've seen trying to compare the two teams by matching up the players.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Hard to say, what Yao will do tonight? I could see him being a total non factor or having 37 point and 15 rebound performance. Mainly, because no matter time of year or place, he typically does well against the Lakers. While, Yao's seasonal averages against the Lakers are below:

07: 25 ppg -12 rebs (2 games)
    06: 33 ppg - 11 rebs (3 games)
    05: 23 ppg - 14 rebs (2 games)
    04: 25 ppg - 6.8 rebs (4 games)
    03: 21.5 ppg - 8.8 rebs (4 games) Prime Shaq Years
    02: 15 ppg - 10 rebs (4 games)

He does pretty well against the Lakers, compared to the other teams.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3599/splits?year=2007&type=Fielding/

I also notice that his numbers are slightly below average against Boston, Portland, and Minnesota.

At least going back to 2005. His numbers are slightly below par against those 3 teams.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Even if we win tonight (or even) blow the Lakers, it still means very little to me. Even in vice versa, there's not much to take away from tonight's game , because we still need work.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

exactly, if we win tonight, i hope we won't get over-confident and think we're the best. we still have a LONG way to go.

i just want to see this team fix some of the problems that are fairly fixable (box out and grab rebounds, and defend your man).

13. xouterheavenx

xouterheavenx Member

i honestly believe the rockets are the only team that can matchup with the lakers. celtics are lacking a little. but its all gonna come down to the performances on rebounding and offense. we NEED rebounds!

14. Freakout

Freakout Member

As a Laker fan, I am confused. The reason we are winning you listed is because we are making our shots but that isn't right. We have been winning because of our rebounding and defense.

15. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

It is about the defense in this game. Book it.

16. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

but if we win it will give us big CONFIDENCE.