1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mass shooting at Tennessee church

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 25, 2017.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

They are not capable of diagnosing themselves, which is just as true (perhaps even moreso) for people with mental disorders.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Are you implying CNN isn't credible? If so I think you'd look extremely hypocritical defending Fox. CNN retracts stories and publicly apologizes. Fox retracts them constantly and hopes nobody catches wind. Hannity has yet to apologize for the Seth Rich stuff.

Your bias is what makes CNN stand out despite the fact they are more credible than any other news station out there. Also, I'm not a liberal.

3. Buck Turgidson

Uh, right. They can at least say "hey, this is a problem, should get it checked out" which was my point.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have been critical of CNN for years. It's not that big of a deal.

5. GladiatoRowdy

Being critical of them is one thing. Using the genetic fallacy to discredit anything they publish is something else altogether. That is a little something called fallacious reasoning.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Put me on ignore. I ignore CNN. Everyone is happy.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I actually totally agree with you on CNN. At least when I gave up on them I noticed: incredible repetition, click-baity inflammatory attitude on every topic, and little investigative work.

I would really consider CBS over ABC or NBC, honestly. If you look at CBS (at least on the web), their headlines and articles are often (not always) just reporting the basic facts old school. I'm not vouching for any of their specialty programs or editorial type of stuff, but basic news seems surprisingly reliable to me. Cheers.

FranchiseBlade and Astrodome like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I will give CBS Evening News a shot. Lester Holt and Kristen Welker have been getting on my nerves with their extra commentary lately.

9. GladiatoRowdy

Ignoring leads to ignorance. I prefer knowledge.

10. body slam

body slam Member

just curious has the police made a statement or is there any new news as to why he did it?

11. Buck Turgidson

The more I think about this the less comfortable I am with what I think we *should* do.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know. That is our nature as Americans. The results have some ugliness, like, in SF, hundreds of mentally ill homeless people who are incapable of rational decisions.

But I hear you.

13. Buck Turgidson

How does this conversation even start, on a practical level?

14. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

I'd say we need to "...promote the general welfare..."

As a liberal racist n!gger who loves his dog treats...and his gubmint welfare, I mean...

Freedom is about responsibility as well as ability, to me. Choices absent their consequences do not fall under the purview of "freedom of expression" to me. And pretending that, somehow, we've actually succeeded in effectively separating our love of money from our love of one another has us as a nation at a particularly distinct crossroads.

Sooner or later, all of us have to face the reality that we must be, at some level, responsible for the health and well-being of one another...and that the standards for determining what that well-being has to be can no longer reside in spreadsheets and quarterly reports and tax returns.

We probably need to start with being honest with each other: either we give a damn or we don't.

15. Buck Turgidson

"I'm a white male between the ages of 18 and 45...*everyone* listens to me!" -- Homer Simpson

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Christian on Christian violence is not newsworthy I guess.
    DD