1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mass shooting at Tennessee church

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 25, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Playing a "moral card" on you you would be pointless, since it would assume that you have morals to begin with.

edwardc likes this.
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I know you're shaken up by your hilarious self-pwning in the other thread, but let's keep the insults down, kid. Keep it civil.

3. NewRoxFan

Aww... snowflake is melting. You really do need to toughen up there, or should I pass you a box of tissues?

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I've always wondered. Normal, god-fearing, self-bettering individuals see something like this and think "man I feel so sorry for those people." Politics is such distant thought.

Crazy what the mindset of someone willing to use tragedies to further political messages is.

5. NewRoxFan

Unfortunately, that was in the time known as BT*.

Funny thing, those on the right misquoted Rahm Emanuel about not letting a crisis go to waste. He never said that... but its obvious that those on the right were quick to try to make political points about this tragedy. Or, at least one person here tried.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/01/bum-rap-for-rahm/

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Maybe you should have put [radical Christian terrorist] in the title. It would probably be a more controversial story that garnered more hits.

No Worries likes this.
  7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

As usual, your bullshit is easily debunked with even a cursory look at the facts...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/24/us/tennessee-church-shooting/index.html

8. GladiatoRowdy

bigpuffery needs a safe space. Call the Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

eric.81 likes this.
  9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

11. GladiatoRowdy

No, the claim that "the media" isn't reporting on it as much as the OP would expect. They are reporting it, but the people that he (and you) look to for "news" are sure CLAIMING that "the media" isn't reporting on it.

12. Cranberry_Juice

Are the drivers middle aged asian women?

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I've read a lot about this in the media, but I don't watch much TV. I did see FOX running it nonstop yesterday when I was at the gym. They seemed obsessed with having his face as large as possible on the screen. Kinda odd, but whatever.

Looks a whole lot like mental illness. 25 is that typical general age for so many mass shooters in our country. Lots of schizophrenia cases manifest in males and at age 22-25.

Awful freaking crap.

zksb09 and eric.81 like this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Not news really. Just life in gun nut America.

15. GladiatoRowdy

Read an interesting study last week, closeups tend to make you relate more to people with whom you agree and dislike people with whom you have differences. Interesting experiment.

#35 GladiatoRowdy, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    B-Bob likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

He contacted his dad a few months ago saying he had a gun to his head. He was involved in woman-troubles, at least 2 domestic disturbance calls to the police.

This says a whole lot more about how we deal with mental illness (and access to guns, something I don't know the particulars of in this case), than it does about the OP's desired story ("Sudanese refugee"...he'd been in the country for ~20 years; "trucks in Nice").

And I'll say it again: in pretty much every single one of these cases, huge red flags are either totally ignored or not treated seriously.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, this is actually a spot, IMO, where our focus on freedom bites us in the ass. Mandatory mental health care is more common in most other democracies than it is here. And we closed so many mental health facilities in the 1980's (some with good reason). Just in my job, when you see a young who's clearly troubled, you can encourage them to get help, but you can never even get within spitting distance of insisting someone get help, even just meeting with a counsellor of some sort.

It would be like asking someone with skin cancer to diagnose themselves and come up with a course of treatment.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I can understand people using multiple sources for getting a complete picture of the news but if you discount CNN as a reliable source, where do you get your news?

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

ABC, NBC, NPR, Fox News, CBS, occasionally MSNBC, SR 610, FB, BR, ClutchFans, TMZ, ESPN but less and less over the years, PBS, Live Leak, KPRC, WaPo, HuffPo, WSJ, Chron.com but not through the paywall, Brazosport facts, Bay Area Observer....

Just about anywhere but CNN.

Rashmon likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

A person with skin cancer is capable of rationally assessing their situation, at the very least.