1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Daredevil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am hoping . . . this is just the new KINGPIN

The Normal Kingpin is confident and self assured
    This Kingpin was not that

Rocket River

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

This might have been Kingpin's origin story, too? Even though he had connections like, all over the place?

That's one explanation I can think of.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

give the show a 5/10. No scenes or aspects of the show seem to stand out as excellent. Marvel fans are the most easy to placate fans in the world. They are satisfied with pretty much everything Marvel puts out.

#103 tallanvor, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It was better than all the Nolan Batmans

Rocket River
    <just to poke at the DC Fans>

5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The fight choreography is some of the best on any TV show. The plot is generally coherent, interesting, and logical. The cast is talented and generally well fleshed out. It's based on a comic book, so if you don't like comic books then obviously this isn't going to change your mind. If you like comics, then I don't know what you find missing from this one, that you think is done much better in another show.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Far better than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises, but I got The Dark Knight ahead of it by a tad bit.

7. tallanvor

Fight scene choreography isn't even in the top 50 of the things I care about in a TV show. It could totally suck ass or be really good and I wouldn't care. The title sequence and music is even more important to me.

Thought the cast was sub par. The Foggie Nelson character is one dimensional and very poorly written so I guess i won't blame that actor. The main actor seemed to have the simplest acting job imaginable. Playing blind makes every thing else so easy and the character rarely shows emotion (cause he's suppose to be the man without fear).

First seasons/movies of a superhero series are always gonna some what suck cause they are almost always origin stories which have been done a million times over. Maybe next year the writers/producers will have more freedom to be more creative.

The Marvel fanbase approves of about 80% of the films/shows Marvel puts out. One could chalk that up to Marvel studios being awesome, but I think it's just the fanbase having very low standards.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It wasn't great TV. It was shot in a way that seemed quite pretentious like they thought they were making The Sopranos.

The camera A/B dialogue scenes with both characters sitting down killed me. I guess they were under a time crunch. Marvel TV will always come second to the movies and I think this it affected this one just like Agents of Shield.

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Is this show worth watching??

Been thinking about starting it but other super hero shows have been disappointing me.

Arrow, Flash, Agents of Shields, and Gotham where all sub-par imo.

AoS is especially a POS.

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Well then it's not really a surprise you don't like shows where fight scenes are an important part. You said the show does nothing well, and it clearly does the fights very well. You not caring about fights doesn't change this.

Were you expecting a comic book show to win an Oscar? It's a good translation of the comics. It's on par with other Marvel and DC movies if not better than most of them. If you don't like the comics, then I'm kind of surprised you would watch 13 hours of it in a week. I'm not watching more than one or two episodes of a show I rate 5 out of 10.

What comic book shows are you comparing this to that are so much better? I'd say Daredevil is on par with the majority of the Nolan Batman movies. I understand comic book movies aren't for everyone, but I don't understand why you specify Marvel fans as if DC stuff or some other studio is significantly better. It sounds like you should just stop watching stuff based on comic books. It's like someone who hates Italian food doing a review on an Italian restaurant.

Watch the first two episodes and you will know. You will probably know after the first one.

11. tallanvor

clearly done very well based on what?

what type of argument is this? because its a based on a comic book it cant have good writing/acting or more interesting characters? ridiculous

Also TV shows don't win Oscars. They win Emmys. And to answer your question, I see no reason why a comic book show cant have the acting/writing to win an Emmy over other dramas. Game of Thrones wins lots of Emmys and its a fantasy with dragons and magic.

why would u just compare it to other comic book shows? why not all dramas?

#111 tallanvor, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Daredevil on par with Nolan Batman's = lulz. Maybe if Nolan got really into the DD character and decided to direct the movies blind.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Based on comparison to any other tv show out there with extensive hand to hand combat choreography. You caring about the theme music more than fights kind of kills how seriously a person can take your opinion on what makes a good fight, and you not caring about fight scenes or liking Marvel movies when the show is about a vigilante crime fighter Marvel super hero doesn't make it particularly surprising that you don't like the show. Nothing wrong with that, but the show is doing what it's target audience want it to do, and the vast majority of that audience and the critics think they did a great job.

Your in the vast minority in thinking the show doesn't have good writing, acting or interesting characters. The reviews by critics and viewers alike are over whelmingly positive.

It's based on a comic book. It's fans want a good adaptation of that comic book. Most people who watched it think they did a good job. Every show and movie ever made has someone who hated it. Obviously you aren't a fan of Marvel. You made a point to say Marvel fans are willing to accept anything as good, which seems to imply that maybe DC or some other studio is doing something drastically improved on what Daredevil has to offer. I'm just curious on what you consider a better example of a comic based show from some other studio? If you don't like anything based on comics, I just don't understand why you would bother watching 13 hours of a comic book show in the first place.

14. tallanvor

didn't argue with that.

This is a completely different argument then the one you previously made. In fact it contradicts it. You previously mocked my desire for 'oscar worthy' writing/acting from a comic book show (even though i never asked for such a thing). Now you are arguing that the writing and acting is actually good. Finally, if you want to argue the acting/writing was good then don;t point me to some reviews. It's not compelling. Tell me who you thought did a good job and why.

If Marvel's goal was to make a show that DD fans would enjoy then i guess they did. I never argued against that.

I said the show was mediocre and Marvel fans seem to enjoy almost everything Marvel Studios puts out.

#114 tallanvor, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Anyone know who the guy with his back turned and scarred, stick was talking to about daredevil being ready or not for the war at the end of the episode.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Sound is more important that what is on screen. Please note, I think the DD sound and music was great. Surrounds were very active, and it the design was engrossing.

Your point about what makes a good fight is laughable though. Highly choreographed fights are not more important than music. Highly choreographed fights with flips for every punch do not make for a good fight. This is an epic fight:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/prSHdCOuNeY?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    not a single flip and less than 1:30 including dialogue. The first episode of DD had a 3 minute fight. 1 minute of fight, 2 minute flashback and another 2 minutes of fight. So 5 minutes where the only thing happening is a fight. And it was the first time we had even seen that character. This goes back to when earlier I said the fights went on too long. I like good fights, even long ones. They have to be about something. Not just a random dude I don't know. por ejemplo:
    This fight is long but is about 1. honor between two honorable characters. 2. Control of an institution and the 3. disrespect of the girl he loves. Not to mention the choreography is 10 times better than Daredevil because those standards are too lofty for comparison.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QLL9plgz0pg?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    but it is a TV show, so people compare it to other TV shows. I LIKED Daredevil I just had to stop watching after the H&K FTF) but all he said was it is compared to TV shows. That is true.

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I didn't have a problem with any of the cast. The writing for some of the Kingpin scenes could have been improved, and I thought the Vanessa love angle was a bit forced. The acting was fine though. It's not a perfect show. There is room for improvement, but it was a good first season and I look forward to seeing more, as do most viewers.

I enjoyed the story, the characters had enough depth to satisfy me, they did a good job creating their own world while still linking it to the rest of the Marvel universe. You say that referencing reviews by other viewers and critics is not compelling, but there is no way you are going to be convinced that the show is good, nor am I going to be convinced that the show wasn't good.

We can debate why we liked or didn't like specific parts, but you really haven't given much in the way of specific examples of what you didn't like.

You say Foggy has no depth, but I don't really know what you are looking for. He is a personable, loyal, charismatic character, who believes in doing the right thing over personal gain, believes in pursuing justice thru legal channels over vigilante justice, and is very accepting of people regardless of the differences and doesn't judge them based on their appearance. He is a supporting cast character. What kind of depth are you looking for?

There is no right or wrong as far as liking a show. It's an opinion. The compelling argument behind sharing the overwhelmingly positive reviews is that it's a show other people should consider checking out because most people who have watched it, like it. But if you hate comic book stories and don't care about fight scenes, then you probably won't.

You keep saying Marvel fans. More accurately most viewers enjoy most things Marvel studios puts out. The majority of viewers who liked Marvel movies are not regular readers of the comics, and many of them have never read a comic in their life. They don't like Marvel simply because it's Marvel, they find the material entertaining. You say it's low standards, but I think more accurately it's just different tastes. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't really know why you would keep watching Marvel stuff if you feel that way.

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I'm only 6/13 into this series and I really, really like it. My wife, who is not a comic fan by any means, really likes it too. She's the one pushing for extra episodes each night.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I don't recall making any specific points about what makes a good fight, so what exactly was laughable?

Fights are more important than the theme music in the opening of a show for a vigilante super hero show where he regularly fights criminals to me. That doesn't mean music isn't important, but I can fast forward thru the opening of every show and not miss a thing.

Agree to disagree. The Obi Wan Darth Vader fight is terrible choreography wise. It's great because of it's significance. Significance has nothing to do with choreography. It proves you can have a great confrontation without great choreography, but I never said otherwise.

Personally I enjoyed the fact that Daredevil had to really work to defeat a trained Mob killer. The significance was that he isn't going to one punch knockout every person he fights. He gets tired. He gets hurt. The reason for the fight was obviously to save Karen's life and to obtain the evidence exposing corruption. It also flashed back to his youth to fill in back story. You aren't "wrong" to not like it, but the vast majority of people who have watched the show have liked it.

I thought that video's choreography was laughable, but just goes to show that we have different tastes in what makes for an entertaining fight. The reason for the fight has nothing to do with the choreography of the fight.

There isn't a show ever made that some one doesn't dislike. I think Daredevil is a good show compared to any other show. Not the best ever made, but a good show that I look forward to seeing more of. There isn't really anything to debate there as it's opinion. At least you say you think the fights are too long and can't get past a mistake on the mechanics of a gun. His criticism really lacks any examples to even debate.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I get the feeling he doesn't like Marvel
    and kind of looks down on Marvel fans as some sort of lemmings
    at the very least . . .

Rocket River