1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Daredevil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 7, 2015.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Also couldn't sleep last night. Watched the first episode last night and just finished the second. Wow! Perfect.

This is what the Ben Affleck movie should have been. Very violent, very adult, it's Marvel's version of Batman Begins with a poor guy who has powers.

Fight scenes are strong.

2. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Watched the first episode and it's living up to expectations, fight scenes are movie quality choreography.

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The first 2 episodes are just great. No slow build introduction with this show, you drop right in on the action from the start, with short flashbacks to fill in origin backstory. Can't wait to watch more tonight.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Finished episode 4 just now. The buildup to Kingpin was a slow burn, but that "Kingpin with the car door on the Russian dude" scene was BRUTAL.

Every actor has been A-quality. Amazing show so far!

Will DD have the ability to show up in Avengers 3?

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

I want him to crossover with Spidey, just like in the 90s cartoons.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He could show up in Civil War if they wanted.

7. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Is exactly what I wanted in a Daredevil show. Is really close to the feel of the current run of Daredevil and was surprised because that is really hard to do. Watched 6 episodes so far and think this was the perfect fit for the character.

1 person likes this.
  8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Jesus this show is amazing. The fight scenes alone are worth countless re-watches. So glad it's on Netflix as opposed to ABC.

9. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

I was hooked after the first 2 episodes! Can't wait to keep watching the rest of the episodes.

10. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Just finished all the episodes and I thought it was meh. Fight scenes were really cool. Dialog was blah, maybe I was expecting more action but the whole 2 people having a long boring conversation, cut to 2 more people having a long boring conversation, cut to 2 more people having a long boring conversation, small cool fight scene, cut to 2 more people having a long boring conversation and end with small cliffhanger.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Let me guess, you think the Transformers movies are great movies.

12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

No, I was just expecting more. It seemed as I was going from episode to episode that every conversation was the exact same tone. I'm sure I will give it another go. I thought the back story on all the characters were pretty good though.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's been entertaining. Seen 3 episodes so far. Nothing ground breaking, just a refreshing realism/darker tone with good production value.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Just finished the entire season.

Non-spoilery thoughts:

- I'd give this season a 9/10. Grittiest superhero medium yet - fight scenes were awesome, but Kingpin needed more of a backstory
    - Loved that DD got his butt kicked sometimes - and not even only by the big bad. Good to realize that DD has regular human strength and speed - just heightened senses
    - Deborah Ann Woll / Karen Page's hair game = on fleek throughout entire season
    - Charlie Cox kills it as Murdock. I wonder how he'd do as Batman, instead of Affleck lol
    - The Fisk - Vanessa relationship felt really forced. I didn't care for her at all.
    - I thought the Wilson Fisk character was okay, but I expected him to be completely awesome. I feel like D'Onofrio was trying to enunciate too much as Kingpin - I'm not sure if he was going for an accent there or what, but I thought his regular speech was a little...off. The scenes where he completely loses it, both with physical action and with dialogue, were fantastic though.
    - The writers never really did use the word "Kingpin," did they? It's not like this was the origin story of Kingpin, thus not being named yet - Kingpin already established a bunch of relationships + he had relevant people under his payroll.
    - I wish they would have set up some sort of momentum going into next season. Perhaps the introduction of a villain, or an "after-credits" thing. Fairly certain DD was going to get a second season renewal before it even aired its first episode.

Spoilery thoughts: Kingpin / Fisk

Is it just me, or was there a disconnect between the kid Fisk and the adult Fisk? I get that kid Fisk killing his dad at age 12 (and then the dad being cut up by the mom) would usually do terrible things to a young child, but unless I missed something, I don't understand how that particular moment turned Fisk into the man he is today. Did the show ever tie in that to his character development, or was it just a way to introduce his mom / a new plotline into the show?

Aside from some nightmare sequences and the Rabbit in a Snowstorm painting, I think the Fisk character needed more backstory that tells us how he went from that horrible situation to the man he is today. I get that he felt alone up until he met Vanessa, but like...

- How did he come into all that money?
    - When you have all that money, wouldn't women be throwing themselves at you?

I get that just because women throw themselves at you doesn't make each and every relationship a close one, but you'd think he'd have no trouble finding companionship.

Spoilery thoughts: The Good Guys

There weren't that many scenes between Karen Page and Murdock - I know next to nothing about Daredevil, but I thought there was supposed to be a romance, there? Most of the Karen scenes were with Foggy or with Ben. I get that DD is busy most of the season, but aside from the first episode, there really wasn't anything to develop the relationship. Yet it seems that, throughout the series, Karen felt more for DD than Foggy, even though more time was spent with the latter.

I really enjoyed the Foggy - DD scenes after Foggy found out. Gave both actors a chance to show emotion. Woll can act the hell out of Page, too. All the leads were fantastic.

Rosario Dawson's Night Nurse character was was underused. Though there was a romantic undertone before the usual "I can't be with you because you risk you life too much" reason for not getting together, she appeared in a total of, what, 30 minutes of screentime? I think they should have kept her more in the show, as she became an early confidant of DD and she could easily play the Alfred Pennyworth role to DD's Batman.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Episode 3 - A FTF is not the fault of the semi-auto handgun design (H&K P30L) it is the fault of the primer or weak mainspring. We can eliminate spring as the gun was brand new. Also in these guns the main spring is 14 pounds (very high rate) in order to prevent these exact failures. A revolver could have absolutely had the same failure, it did not "jam up". A revolver would have been less likely to have been firing mil-spec ammo (the H&K P30L in the episode was 9x19mm) which are notorious for hard primers. These primers are to make sure the primer only fires when you want it to. It also would have gone on to the next chamber after the FTF and tried another round so it could be argued it would have an advantage there. HOWEVER that pistol is double-strike capable to hit a hard primer again in case of a FTF.

Had to stop watching there but overall liked it but I think the fights scenes could be a little shorter.

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Just finished episode 2...this show is like heroin for your eyeballs.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you can shoot heroin in your eyeball, thus heroin is heroin for your eyeballs.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

You couldn't suspend your disbelief for this? Also, the part in bold...I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever complain that fight scenes should be shorter, in any medium.

I'm guessing you're talking about episode 2's hallway fight scene, which is probably the longest fight sequence in the series (I think). This is a normal dude with a normal physical strength taking on multiple normal dudes with normal physical strength. Enemies shouldn't be expected to take a single punch and get knocked out.

Criticisms are good, but I think yours are too specific. "That gun wielded by a very minor character had the wrong terminology attached, so therefore, I'm going to stop watching this gritty show about a superhero who beats up bad guys with no superpowers or gadgets, but just relies on his senses. Because, yeah, the gun terminology / mechanics!"

If the acting / story / plot wasn't your cup of tea, that would be more reason to stop watching, than "the gun isn't supposed to jam. lol these writers suck"

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Lol talk about nitpicking. Damn.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Revenge of the Sith, They Live, there are many examples. I mostly groaned at the fight between him and the assassin who tried to kill Karen Page and they turned into the newspaper with the files.

Pages of criticism, why do you single me out?