1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Marvel Movie] The Eternals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

X-Men might fix that (until the eventual X-Men world is ending story).

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

IMO it's all let's get to the earth saving either from it being destroyed or being taken over from some evil entity.

Especially since Iron Man 1 and 2.

3. dmoneybangbang

At this point it's the volume and frequency of Marvel movies that has watered down the "stakes" for me. It peaked around Infinity War for me. I really enjoyed End Game and the conclusion it brought, but thought Infinity War was much better because the heroes finally lost.

I raved about Invincible in it's thread because even though it's the same super hero story (the twist wasn't groundbreaking in the least), the hyperviolence gave it an edge and added stakes from my perspective.

With that said, there are some absolute gems in the Marvel universe.... Winter Solider, Infinity War, Ant Man, and Guardians 1 are by far my favorites. I am not anti Marvel, just bored with it.

steddinotayto and jiggyfly like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I get it and also thought Infinity War was much better.

That's why I am digging The Eternals I want new superheroes and different stories and a different world building.

I wish it was the X Men or The Inhumans but at least I am going into this not knowing these characters, so it will be fresh to me.

cmoak1982 and Xerobull like this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Fair points though the Marvel comic universe has so many (imo better) story lines than just Infinity War. It might not be as big of a crossover event as Infinity War but still pretty good. Fortunately most of those story lines reside in the X-Men universe and Disney has that property so I hope they will use it accordingly. Of course, whether or not Feige/Disney will allow for writers and/or directors to follow faithfully to the source material and not have these movies go through the Disney filter is another story.

6. dmoneybangbang

My point about Infinity War is that it finally added some real stakes to the game instead of winning every time and lather, rinse, repeat. I get the Disney demographic, but I just appreciate a little darkness, a bit of trial and tribulation, and maybe something more R rated.

Logan was an awesome movie because it went there. Infinity War was awesome because of the stakes. Ant-Man, GOTG, and Dr Strange were just interesting stories/characters. Maybe I'm just not the demographic for a lot of the Marvel properties.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

weird seeing robb stark and jon snow in trailer

peleincubus and dkoune like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, Celestials were on another level from the Eternals (obvioulsy). Way way up there on the power scale. I've always wondered how they would incorporate beings like the Celestials or Galactus into movies since they're so massive in scale.

I don't even watch these movies, but I'm interested in seeing how they are presented simply because I used to read many of the characters in comics as a kid. I also go on binge-buying of comics every few months for purely profit and "gee, I always wanted that comic as a kid" reasons. I laugh at the volume of stuff and the characters sometimes getting their own movies, but if it works for them, it works, I guess. In general, I agree with you, but to me, this is what makes movies interesting to me -- a galactic/universal scale conflict or some supernatural aspect. It's why I could never stand DC titles in the 90's because they were carried by Batman for the most part, I think, and I really didn't care to read about a guy with a Home Depot tool belt and his gymnast sidekick. Then you had "Superman"... about the most generic name for a hero. May as well have called him "strong dude". :D

I'm more of a sci-fi guy, too, so that's another reason I love cosmic-level characters and own a lot of Fantastic Four titles... Galactus, Thanos, Celestials, etc. Bring it! I'm also waiting for something like an Adam Warlock to get his own title. I would get bored by mundane Earth-bound storylines where the only thing at stake is "minor Earth stuff". :D

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Who will become the true King of the North!?!?!? ...... fades to black

saitou likes this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Explains the Professor X cameo...

11. dmoneybangbang

Really enjoy this dude's channel who breaks it down for casuals like myself. Not necessarily spoilers since the movie isn't out.... but goes into the back story and what may happen.

jiggyfly, No Worries and Dr of Dunk like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So he thinks it may be the Celestials. Some people say the Deviants. Either would be interesting, but I don't know how the Eternals would stop the Celestials from wrecking Earth outside of somehow talking them out of it. This is one of the few trailers I'm actually intrigued by. I'm also going to have to get used to Makkari and Ajak being females. lol.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

They should be able to find new high stakes, such as what happens when there is or is not a Time Authority. What happens when there are no celestials. What happens when you bring back a celestial. And not all of that is about saving the universe. It might be about creation, time, physics. The internal stakes will always be there, and like Iron man, at odds with the high stakes. Thanos was a little different in that he wanted to save the universe so you did want to see the result of was he right or wrong.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am even more excited, finally a comic book movie that I don't have any reference to.

I am a big Gemma Chan fan, I think she is beautiful and loved her in Humans.

15. dmoneybangbang

I am not sure who the next big Thanos level villain is? Maybe this Eternals movie is setting up the Celestials down the line, like how Thanos was operating throughout several movies.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's fiction and it's comics, so the big villains can always be made. I mean the sheer volume of "upper level villains" is ginormous. The problem with the Celestials is that they are a group and there are many of them with individual names and they are each responsible for different things whereas Thanos was one entity and you could focus on him and his thoughts. They have a leader "One Above All" that is rarely seen or heard from in the comics. The hosts were led by Arishem, I think, so maybe he'll be the leader. What's worse is that they don't really talk much in the comics. lol. To me, the Celestials would be kind of like in the old movie War of the Worlds where there's an alien invasion force we don't really communicate with much.

In terms of power and upper-level cosmic effects, it's going to be hard to top the Infinity Gauntlet, though the Celestials are getting up there. They are near the top of the Marvel Universe in terms of power, but oddly aren't really considered "evil", so that would make for an interesting plot. This may be why the Deviants could also be the foe. They would make sense because there's a chance the Eternals could go toe-to-toe with them at least. No idea how they'd manage to defeat the Celestials. Even one.

The other thing about Thanos is that he was always on the prowl for power and ways to impress Death in the comics, so the dude was always part of trying to acquire some of the most powerful objects in the Marvel universe (Infinity Gauntlet, Heart of the Universe (alternate universe), Cosmic Cube, etc.) so he is basically the perfect villain for multiple movies. Dr. Doom wouldn't be too bad, either, but he's more down the Fantastic Four line which I would think would include Galactus.

Again, this is coming from a guy who doesn't really watch the movies, but read the comics, so take it with a grain of salt. :D I'm also the guy who thinks once you've had a guy wipe out an entire universe and its heroes and most powerful beings, it's gonna be hard to top with a mundane storyline, so this better be good. The Eternals are a cosmic-level storyline, so that's got my interest piqued, though.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

New trailer

mikol13, B-Bob, myco and 1 other person like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Xerobull likes this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

That was an excellent trailer. Much better. But the deviants, whoever they are, will need to have some depth.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Kind of funny that they said they wouldn’t interfere unless deviants were involved but Thanos was a deviant so *shrug emoji*

tinman likes this.