1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] The Eternals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 28, 2019.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

Ok. I don't even know where to go with this.

Ziggy likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think you're getting confused about my point. I'm not saying the movie needs to explain stuff or tie stuff in, to be successful. Nor am I saying the Eternals should only focus on tying stuff in. I'm saying the movie is going to need to do a lot of heavy lifting with all the plot points it should hit.

This isn't a movie like Shang-Chi where the movie can just focus on building its own characters and own world. That movie can get away with not referencing anything about Thanos or the Avengers.

Unless they ret-con it, The Eternals is a property too connected to Thanos. Aside from 'Far from Home' (and I'm not counting the Black Widow movie), Eternals is the first movie post-Endgame and the first movie in the MCU's newest 'phase.' It should be a bridge linking past events to future movies.

Jontro likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And I am saying I think you are putting to much on this one movie.

Its a wish list that want from this movie and I don't think the vast majority of people really care about that.

I have no doubt it will be a bridge to future movies I just don't think doing these things is heavy lifting or do they have certain plot points they have to hit.

Most marvel properties are connected to Thanos but every comic arc does not have a Thanos continuation, I think you are to fixated on Thanos, they have a hell of alot of other stuff to get to in the Marvel Universe and they don't have to retcon anything.

I just think you saying what you want from The Eternals and if that's not it you will not be satisfied.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

What wish list? What are you even talking about? All I said was the movie will most likely touch on Thanos / the events from Endgame. You keep referencing comics when you're overlooking one thing - the MCU is about the MCU...not about the comics. Not every Marvel movie watcher reads the source material. Hell, the Ancient One from the Dr. Strange comics is supposed to be an Asian male, not a Celtic woman like in the movies. Not every single aspect of the comics will translate to the silver screen. And it'd be ridiculous to expect that, since there's a lot of convoluted stuff in the comics.

But if you really want to reference the comics so much, then fine. Thanos was part of the Deviants. Who are they? The antagonists of The Eternals. It's literally the most logical route in the movies, and it would be true to the comics. Thanos probably has a mom and a dad, in the comics, right? Who were they, you ask? Two Eternals. Thanos was the son of two Eternals.

Not sure you think I'm fixated on Thanos when he's the big purple elephant in the room. The events of Endgame precedes The Eternals, so events from Endgame are the easiest to base a plot off of.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I couldn't care less what the Eternals is about or what plot it has. Because it's a Marvel movie, I'm in day 1. But if Thanos and/or Endgame isn't a big part of the movie, I think it's a misstep.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I bolded your wish list

I just read that Thanos is an Eternal so yeah they should touch on that and you could have mentioned that in your 1st post.

My point was that you had a list of things that need to be done or the movie will not be what you think it should be and I think the vast majority of people will not be checking for that stuff.

I think you are fixated on Thanos because you continue to bring him up and you seem to be fixated on Endgame, When has Marvel ever taken the easy way out, why would they do that now?

I think the entire Infinity Stone saga should be a minor plot point there is to much other stuff in the comics to keep going to that well just like comics move on so should the movies.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Pretty high praise. Gaiman is a legend.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You sure you're not thinking about Celestials? In the comics, they were hundreds of feet tall. The Eternals were created by them.

Ottomaton, Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've got them crossed up before as well. Celestials were in GotG2 though.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

One thing I don't understand is the mandate. They are there to help, but they can't interfere. It doesn't make much sense given they are essentially at odds with each other. .

10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Seems perfectly reasonable

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

how does angelina stay so secksy all these years? just the way she stands is secksy af.

ico4498, cmoak1982 and rockbox like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I am interested in seeing how they setup the next phase. But also I am exhausted by Marvel and their story telling. How much many times has Earth almost met its destruction? I just don’t feel the stakes anymore.

Joshfast likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Um that's 75% the plot of most comic books.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not sure how I feel about this. When superhero's are OP, it's hard to get into the story. That is why Batman, Spiderman, and wolverine are the most popular superhero's and that is why Superman movies suck.

15. dmoneybangbang

Yep... and releasing the same story every year lessens the stakes.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Stakes is not something that I really think about in a fantasy action movie, I don't see it actually changing much but that's why they build upon each each other to create a cohesive story.

What type of stories would you like?

17. dmoneybangbang

Not an individual action, fantasy but maybe about dozen of them. I shouldn’t have to point this out, but this is just my opinion.

I really enjoyed the Thanos arc and its conclusion. Hopefully that’s what is going to happen here, building up to a great super villain. I just have a bit of “villain taking over the world” exhaustion post Thanos.

Also I am talking about just the movies, I don’t have Disney plus.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I seriously wanted to know what you were thinking, not taking a shot.

I think you will get more stuff like the Infinity Stone saga and it will all be in service of a villain not only taking over the world but the universe.

I think you will get some stand alone movies with smaller stakes but if you are not saving the world why do you need superheroes?

It's the basis for every superhero story.

Are you saying you don't want it to be on the scale of Endgame and more like Winter Soldier?

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I, too, am confused at this. Of course, like you stated down the thread, this is just your opinion and how you feel. That being said, what ARE your expectations of movies based on comic books, specifically the Marvel universe? When the threat of human civilization by a supervillain can generate billions in revenue at the box office and merchandising I'm thinking Disney will continue to milk that cow until it runs dry.

It's been:

1. Solo superhero movie fights a villain threatening his/her town/state/country
    2. Rinse and repeat a few times
    3. A super villain emerges behind the scenes that is too powerful for just one said solo superhero to defeat
    4. Solo superheroes join to defeat supervillain

So it's not exactly "Let's just get to the Earth saving!". That's more of a DC thing...

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Didn't follow the comics and I've seen every MCU movie, mostly at the theaters. I've been surprisingly satisfied by storylines I was unfamiliar with: GOTG, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange. This Eternals trailer doesn't excite me. I'll probably give it a shot down the road, but I hope it's much much more entertaining than a typical Greek mythology sci-fi movie.

dmoneybangbang likes this.