1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

do you think he cried watching COCO haha

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, it’s both sides of the spectrum. There’s some that claim it’s best marvel film just because it has a black cast and some who claim it sucks because it has a black cast.
    If you take those out and just factor in if it was a good movie, it holds up. I enjoyed it as a comic fan, and a white man.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The greatest thing about Marvel is that they make you care about characters you never heard of . ..
    I generally must say Guardians of the Galaxy is the biggest surprise movie for me . . .. . .did not know much about any of them
    the Guardians I knew had Yondu as a major member

People were aware of alot of their characters but before 2000
    NONE were close to the BIG THREE: Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman . . ..
    in terms of visibility and recognizability.

Rocket River

arkoe, seclusion and Reeko like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

100% agreed, I’ve known about a lot of obscure marvel characters just from reading, but they are definitely not mainstream.
    Marvel has done a ridiculous job of bringing some light to these types of characters.
    Honestly why I like marvel so much, more variety.

seclusion and Reeko like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

On a side note, I haven’t heard of too much “trouble” in the theaters regarding this film.

But....

One of the kids I coach had an issue in an assigned seat theater.
    He is a white 15 yr old boy there with 3 friends, 1 white kid and 2 black kids.
    When they got there, there was a black family sitting in their seats. When they asked them to move because they were in the wrong seats it got a little ugly. My student was told by the father that “you f-ing crackers always tryin to ruin a black mans fun” and started cursing at these boys.
    Student went and got manager and the family moved.
    This kid is a great kid, means well, never has anything bad to say to anyone, he took it to heart and was almost in tears when he told me.
    I know it’s a one off deal, and not of great importance. But still shouldn’t have happened. Glad I wasn’t there

Jontro and Big MAK like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When I was there, I saw a white kid ask an older black man and his family to rearrange their seating completely so he could sit next to his friend who wasn't able to purchase an adjacent seat. Kid was in the other guy's seat. All went fine, peeps moved around. But for me personally it bothered me a LOT because I don't like people in general, especially at movie theaters. Next time I'm buying the seats around me in addition to my own.

arkoe and Junkyard_Dog like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I saw something similar when I watched it, a family was split and a couple moved down to let them sit together. My experience was great. Hate hearing of nonsense like my student went through though

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Well, for the before -- Agent Carter featured Howard Stark is my understanding (I never watched it personally).
    Ultron chops off Klaue's hand in AoU, that's how he ends up getting the sonic cannon replacement. He's also where Ultron gets all the Vibranium from that he was attempting to use to destroy the world/create Vision.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you even bother lying like that kiddo? Is it that you think that if you say something often enough that it'll become true?

I've said since the start that Black Panther is a decent movie, Marvel essentially doesn't make bad movies, but this one was nothing special even if it had an almost entirely black cast....that doesn't make a movie special.

If you were looking at it just as a movie you'd see a decent but flawed comic book movie. There is some pretty bad CG at times, and there were parts of the movie that were boring. If you are talking about this movie as if it was groundbreaking or amazing, then you are very likely doing so for reasons other than the merit of the film itself.

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

That was an absolute stinker after recently watching Thor Ragnarok.

I think a part of it is, I just really don't care much for Black Panther as a character at all.

Also, the political shtick was so forced it was unbearable.

joeson332 likes this.
  13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yeah super forced...guess what, Black Panther has always been political. As for being an "absolute stinker" I'm going to go ahead and go with the hundreds of glowing reviews over your singular opinion. Sorry, you didn't like it.

Eric Riley likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I was at the point of getting a little tired of superhero movies until I saw Logan...such a great film

ipaman likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Logan really was an amazing film, not just a superhero film. It's a shame that they got snubbed at the Oscars other than a nomination for best adapted screenplay. Honestly it could have been a nominee for best picture.

Big MAK likes this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

18. Downtown Sniper

Cool story.

I don't think this was ever a matter of me forcing my opinion on you to force you not to go see it.

So not quite sure what the point of your post was.

19. Downtown Sniper

Hahahahaha.

Yeah. In the four viewings I've had of Thor Ragnarok, not once did it ever feel like a political movie.

Amazing the hostility someone cops after expressing a viewpoint in this day and age.

"This guy didn't like a movie, grab those pitchforks FAM"

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

and another one for the list, who is next? y'all are making this too easy for me.