1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquese Chriss as an NBA player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Aug 31, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Chriss' potential to develop into a good NBA player?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Not good - no hope of developing into a good player.

24 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. He's meh - small chance he develops into a good player.

102 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure - 50/50 chance he develops into a good player.

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. He's decent - decent chance that he develops into a good player.

114 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. He's good - he will definitely develop into a good player.

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. bmd

bmd Member

We don't know that. Because his teammates know his athleticism, they were giving him some pretty difficult lobs to finish. Many other players would not even have the ability to potentially finish on some of those lobs.

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

If Harden can make clint a Max 90 million dollar player. Then watch what he does with this guy who has more skill.

Between Cp3, Harden, capela and chriss! Wow, 48 minutes of lob threats. Plust Chriss can stretch the floor with his 3 point ability.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A 6'10 athletic guy? Impossible. That is legitimately unfathomable. No one is saying he should finish 80% of those. But MANY of those are absolutely terrible. Whatever the reason. I still can't believe he missed that many shots - even given that difficulty - in one season.

Capela would finish half of those no problem at all.

4. bmd

bmd Member

There were 12 missed dunks. If Capela finishes half, that's 6. So we're talking about the difference of 6 dunks, or 12 points over the course of an entire 82 game season.

raining threes likes this.
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You can't "fix" a guy who isn't good to start with and has a sorry attitude to go along with it.

craguin likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Sure. That has nothing to do with the fact that this guy is legitimately atrocious at finishing lobs and people are still saying "ALL he has to do is catch lobs."

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You literally can. Hassan Whiteside is a mediocre NBA player. He used to be Chriss level bad. It's possible, just not likely.

I think you're defining "fix" as making someone perfect for you?

raining threes likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say that Whiteside has a negative impact as an NBA player.

I bet Miami would cut him If there wasn't salary implications. They would trade him for Chriss If they could, just to be rid of him.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He is dramatically better than he was in his 2nd NBA season. Some things were fixed, even if his attitude wasn't permanently fixed.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Chriss is similar to Whiteside in that he acts like a spoiled brat, takes cheap shots on opponents when he gets frustrated and no-shows quite often. However, he doesn't have the 7'7 wingspan and ability to protect the rim.

Your question is idiotic. I have no idea what you are talking about.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nice try changing the subject. You're describing part of what makes Whiteside succeed (wingspan). He had the same wingspan when he was failing. They didn't grow his arms. They improved his attitude and understanding of the game, even if not fully. Thus, you can fix Whiteside, you could conceivably fix Chriss.

Unless you think only players with 7'7 wingspans can be fixed lol. Better just run back your poorly thought out comment that you can't fix a young player with bad attitude and low basketball iq. It happens all the time in the NBA. No point lashing out like Chriss would.

12. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Except De’Andre is a million times stronger...

13. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

Exactly. He's more of a Tarik Black Replacement. Good athleticism, but can hit a jumper, unlike Black. If he can hit freethrows, he'll not suck so much. I kinda like Hartenstein better, but Chriss has some NBA experience.

14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

The environment in Phoenix was toxic.. too many young kids and coaches with limited experience. Marquise Chriss is a talented player who still has a chance due to his young age. Given his tools, it isnt entirely out of the question for him to be effective in screen and roll actions, finishing off lobs. Defensively, dude is long, agile, and can leap with the best of em. Since Rockets switch everything, he wont need to fight over or through screens. He can just stay back and use his length to contest jumpers or back pedal and keep his arms up to protect the paint...

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I give up. You need to actually watch Chriss. Guys without great physical tools who have terrible attitudes don't succeed in the NBA.

I get the homer thinking about Chriss because he's now with the Rockets but my preference is realism.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

And Chriss looks like he has a short wingspan. I don't know what it is because Draft Express either doesn't have that info or has moved it behind an ESPN paywall, but his wingspan does look short.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I don't think so. Same player, more minutes, Heat paying for it through the nose.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'm not high on Chriss at all. I think the most likely scenario is we decline his option and he's gone between then and end of season. Not sure where you're getting homerism from. If anything, my other posts are heavily critical of his ability to even catch a lob.

But to say he can't be fixed is just not realistic if you're interested in realism. He's a 22 year old 6'10 guy who is an average defender, decent rebounder and can hit 30% of his 3's right now with 2 seasons of experience on a poorly coached and managed organization. There is a chance he has a career, it's just not likely. It wouldn't be the first time a player changes his attitude at age 22. It's just that it would be rare.

No Worries likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Wow, this isn't even worth discussing if you don't see that Whiteside of last season is better than sophomore Whiteside. On the one hand you are saying Whiteside is just his attitude, on the other hand you are talking up Chriss. There's just no logic.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think someone needs to go read up on Hassan Whiteside last year. In his Sophomore year he didn't get minutes, so I am interested to see how you think he was worse, when in fact he made his team significantly worse when he was on the floor last year. (The numbers back this up...)

Talking up Chriss? I think you got the wrong guy, or you are lying. Chriss is a long shot at best, a scrub most likely. My posts in regards to Chriss:

Looking forward to the retraction.

#120 RudyTBag, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018