1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Markieff Morris Tweets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation97, Sep 3, 2015.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

people called josh smith an atrocious fit before he got here...

you can bet your ass morey is seriously considering pulling the trigger to get markieff over here

especially when you have tjones who doesn't show up in big games...

2. hakeemthagreat

No he's not lol

One thing you forgot about Morris is he's a better ball handling PF. He can either take you off the dribble or pull up for a midrange jumper. In both those aspects he's CLEARLY better than DMo. Would I swap them? Probably not now. But Markieff is the better basketball player at this point. DMo is WAY more valued on here than he is to the rest of the world

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Smith was still an atrocious fit half the time when he got here. There is a reason everyone proactively cringed every time it looked like Smith was getting ready to shoot. All those turnovers on unnecessarily fast bullet passes really sucked too. Same applies when he drives into traffic without a plan ala Jeremy Lin style and loses the ball. It was only when his game was on and due to his peanuts value contract that we are able to see past all of that. People let his performance against Mav's ****ty front court and the comeback against Clippers pull veil over his typical up and down performances.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome, so he can take you off the dribble or shoot a shot the Rockets don't want anyone shooting....and DMo is better at everything else related to basketball (besides FT's).

I doubt you would find any GM in the NBA that would value Morris over DMo. Maybe one if Kahn was still around...

5. hakeemthagreat

Atrocious fit? He was the THE reason (and Brewer) we beat the LAC and could've been our MVP in against the Mavs. Swap him for Jones, then we can say atrocious

6. hakeemthagreat

I bet alot of GM's would take Morris over DMo because he's the better overrall player. Not sure how DMos better at everything else related to basketball. Hes a better post player, but he's soft. He lacks toughness at times. Morris is the prototypical PF the NBA teams are looking for. He's slim, can guard 1-4, attacks off the dribble, come off screens and is TOUGH. This is why Draymond Green gave us so many problems. Yes he's undersized, but he was tougher than all our PFs last year.

Oh, no way is DMo a better defender. That's ridiculous to put that nonsense out there

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I like following Andy Bailey. One of the smart guys in a sea of foolery.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm not even sure he's a slight upgrade over Terrence Jones... <a href="https://t.co/vkTOtEl5B4">https://t.co/vkTOtEl5B4</a></p>&mdash; Andy Bailey (@AndrewDBailey) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewDBailey/status/639905802954887168">September 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Markieff Morris is a stretch 4 who doesn't shoot that well. Wastes possessions. <a href="http://t.co/1EOdMRSmJz">http://t.co/1EOdMRSmJz</a> <a href="https://t.co/U2DPzYM646">https://t.co/U2DPzYM646</a></p>&mdash; Andy Bailey (@AndrewDBailey) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewDBailey/status/639907227537571840">September 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sample size and injuries are a concern, but I'll take Terrence Jones over Markieff Morris... <a href="http://t.co/1EOdMRALS1">http://t.co/1EOdMRALS1</a> <a href="http://t.co/0CWYrie0MT">pic.twitter.com/0CWYrie0MT</a></p>&mdash; Andy Bailey (@AndrewDBailey) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewDBailey/status/639908033536098304">September 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

8. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

[​IMG]

Is it me, or has P.B. been doing some serious weight lifting?

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So tjones was better across the board except for assists and steals

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, that's laughable. The player with the post game, that can shoot 3's, that is a better defender is the better player. The ONLY case I've seen for Morris over DMo is their respective SI.com rankings....and you'd have to be pretty tragic to think that was legitimate.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jones stats don't count, because when you compare Jones and Dmo's stats, Jones is better or equal in basically every category, but yet Dmo is future all star and Jones is scrub.

People can't have it both ways, if your going to use Jones stats to argue that he's better the Morris, then you must say he's better then Dmo at the same time.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Morris is probably a bit better than Jones, but being a slightly better backup PF isn't a reason for people to want the Rockets to pick up a head case like Morris.....also, what are the odds that he's happy with a bench role?

13. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I believe if he ended getting cut, the Rockets would pick him up from waivers.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They can't afford to pick him up from waivers, they'd have to wait until he cleared waivers.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Stay away from the Morris twins, we have a great team already with good chemistry, we don't need every shiny penny in the pond.

DD

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He draws more fouls than both Dmo and Jones.

And believe it or not our team is more than just hitting corner threes and drawing fouls.

17. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

I'd be more comfortable with Terrence if he could do one of the following: rebound on defense, rotate on defense, or fix his broken shot.

18. hakeemthagreat

The fact you think DMos a good defender, let alone better defensive player than Markieff is laughable. DMo isn't physical enough to be a defender. He gets pushed around in the paint way too much

Is this even debatable? Like I said, Markieffs just a more versatile PF. He can guard more positions & scores in more ways than the post. Stop overeating DMo bro. He had a good season and showed some growth. But let's not get carried away here

19. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

This is not a reply to you, I really just wanted to repost your stats.

I see people comparing the combined skillsets of Dmo and Tjones to Morris and this makes no sense to me. As if you can get D-mo's size/post game and corner shooting with Jones athleticism at the same time.

I think if you could trade ONE of Jones or Dmo for Morris, you do it without thinking. Prefer it to be Jones, since Jones and Morris have very similar skillsets (only Morris is better and more proven)

Morris is a better defender in the pick and roll, has a better combination of size and speed than both Dmo and Jones. Dmo is big, Jones is quick, but neither are both big and quick like Morris.

Morris has better off/def ratings, better plus minus, better win shares, better FT shooting (~79%), can create his own shot, beat bigger players off the dribble, post down smaller players.

I'd say the facets of his game that makes this not such a no brainer are:

1. D-mo is a superior passer
    2. D-mo is a better corner 3 point shooter
    3. D-mo can more credibly play the C.

You guys talk about head-case but we just brought on an alcoholic who just got multiple DUIs in a span of a couple months... Do you know how hard it is to actually recover from alcoholism? You guys think the underlying issues pinning his addiction are simply gonna go away? Not saying it isn't worth the gamble but Lawson is a much bigger head-case than Morris.

The ideal scenario is we find a way to package in a 3 team deal T-jones and whatever else (not Ariza) for Morris. Morris would slide in as a starter as a floor spacer (yes Morris is a floor spacing big), and you play D-mo 30 minutes off the bench at both PF/C as the focal point of the second unit.

Look this is really simple, go youtube video of Morris, and you guys will see his complete all around game. He's ridiculously undervalued at 8 million per year for the next 3-4.

While you're at it, go look up Tobias Harris, who just got 16 million, or Millsap who just got like 20. Kyle O quinn got 4 million? 8 million for him is silly.

20. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

How is Morris big and Jones not big?

Marcus Morris 6'7.75'' without shoes with a 6'10.75'' wingspan, not that built
    Terrence Jones 6'8.25" without shoes with a 7'2.25" wingspan and built like an ox

Marcus Morris is the modern day Kevin Willis T-rex arms.

The biggest lie that everyone has accepted is that TJ is "undersized" and Marcus Morris is not undersized.

[​IMG]