1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Markieff Morris Tweets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedNation97, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think Markieff read that list and thinks he's actually valuable or something

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Let me preface by saying I am cherry picking a little bit, since Phoenix was a bit of a disaster last year, but Morris had a very solid campaign in 2013/14.

Don't really agree he is less efficient than both. First off, its not really an apples to apples comparison, so I don't like the raw efficiency comparisons. Markieff is an offensive workhorse in Phoenix and is relied upon to create offense out of nothing, which is not something Jones and Dmo are asked to do here. It leads to the usual higher usage, more defensive focus, and an downward pressure on efficiency. Even taking that into consideration, Markieff still holds his own in TS% and offensive rating, mostly due to his ability to get to the free throw line (and actually hit his shots), which is something this team highly values. I would predict that if Morris were here, playing the role of a Jones or Dmo, his hypothetical efficiency would be higher than both.

Not to mention, he sports these favorable metrics by taking alot of mid range shots. You get him here, and modify his game to the Moreyball philosphy, I would expect him to get even better, similar to the bump Smith got when he came here. Hell. in his rookie year, he was taking 4 threes a game at 35%.

There are various metrics to support Morris being a better offensive player than Jones/Dmo, including PPP, PPS, OBPM +/-.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You talk about a post game, athleticism, etc. which is fine, but neither Jones/Dmo have the face up game that Kieff has, which is just as, if not more effective than the others. Lacks size sure, athleticism is okay. I vehemently disagree that he doesn't have Jone's touch. I think Kieff has excellent touch around the rim.

I agree with him being nothing special on the boards of defensively, but neither are Jones or Dmo.

Older, sure, but he is barely 26 years old, not like he is on the wrong side of 30. I also want to note he hasn't had near the injury issues that Jones and Dmo have shown. He has only missed one game in the past three years.

Paid more? Come on bro. Both Jones and Dmo are getting 15+ next offseason. You really care about the salary difference in 2015, when we have already used all our cap?

1 person likes this.
  3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

even if he did get bought out and he came here for the minimum. how would the minutes distribution work

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lars, good post. Food for thought.

On the salary, absolutely it matters. Yes they will get raises next year but that doesn't mean we'll be the ones paying them. Flexibility is still important.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

larvs, good post, but you are comparing numbers from when DMo was not the current DMo. His game left a lot to be desired in 2013-2014. In 2014-2015, I don't think you could ask for anything more other than consistency (aka excellence).

Salary matching wise, I doubt we could come close to getting him without making our roster worse than it is.

6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Markieff brings more toughness to the team but at the same time, he's always getting technicals. He's starting to develop a Ron Artest type of mentality.

7. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

If Morey smells blood in the water, he's patrolling the waters. I'd bet money he's looking at this whole situation wondering if he wants to eat the heart or the liver first.

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

Morris was a go to guy in Phoenix, which is why he has these numbers. He wouldn't be doing that in Houston and he's not that great of a supporter to superstars like DMO or a trashman extraordinaire like Jones.
    I want to sign with Houston too, doesn't mean it's going to happen. Because logic.

9. OpenLayup-Why3?

Besides, band of brothers was better nickname than band of criminals that we're going to be if we acquire this loco.

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

add more fuel to the Rockets hate?

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Kieff will be of no use to this team. Rather have T Jones and DMo.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Plus minus for dmo is misleading since he was the backup for Dwight.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I was using Dmo's 2014-2015 numbers, which are his best. Dmo, surprisingly, is not an advanced statistical darling, so we have to try hard to remain objective and not be blinded by how smooth his post moves look.

Even if you like Jones and Dmo better, you have to look beyond this year. Do you like Dmo and Jones at 15m a piece, more than Morris at 8m? I am not sure what Morey's plan is, but I doubt he likes mediocre PFs at heavy price tags.

As for salary matching, I agree, its a challenge. Nothing can be done right now, but what would you say to this deal:

KJ McDaniels, Terrence Jones, Christian Wood

for

Markieff Morris, Phoenix 2016 #1 (top 12 protected)

I would definitely consider that. I think it would make us better this year and put us in a better spot going forward.

All stats are misleading, thats why I tried to look at as many as possible, and hope that the read knows how to properly interpret them. Also since when was Dmo, Dwights back up? He started 62 games last year.

14. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

We're going to get about 5 to 6 games into the new season, and we'll all get to see the 2015-2016 versions of TJ & D-Mo. Annnnnd then alll this silly talk about Markief, or anyone else for that matter will fade away. Book it. 9:34 AM 9/4/2015. cdrive

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He is a downgrade from both PF we have. Not even worth mentioning.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just look at it as a step above talking about Rubio. I agree that it's not really worth mentioning, but this is the off-season.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Markieff's actually a fairly decent player, aside from shooting the three-pointer (Marcus fits more that role).

The main thing about them that would be enticing to Morey, if anything, is their salaries. Their combined contracts equal what either of our current power forwards will be requesting next summer. Or less.

But power forward is such a perilous spot in the Western Conference.

Exactly. Off-season banter.

Because Markieff Morris would cost, at this point, Ariza, because no other trade-able (reasonable) salaries match up. And, again, I'd only yield Ariza and one of our not-gonna-be-re-signed-anyway-PF's if Devin Booker were in the mix. And I don't know if even Phoenix is that dumb.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't mind trading for Markieff in January, but as several others have pointed out, it doesn't make much sense right now. I could see us sending TJones plus Beverley or Brewer to PHX or a 3rd team for Markieff. Throw in a 2nd and that should be enough to get the deal done.

For those concerned about his salary and how that could impact our pursuit of Durant in the offseason, don't be. If you're sending out Beverley or Brewer in a deal for Morris....well you had to unload those guys anyway to get Durant. The question is then who is more movable between Morris, Beverley, and Brewer, and at worst that's a wash.

You already have a great solution for replacing Beverley or Brewer's production......KJ McDaniels. I'm fine with KJ becoming either Lawson or Ariza's primary backup, so long as he develops a consistent jumper this offseason.

Lawson / McDaniels
    Harden / Thornton
    Ariza / Brewer
    DMo / Morris
    Howard / Capela

IMO, you're actually increasing your flexibility by adding Morris. His $8 million per for the next 4 years gives us a lot of leverage in our front court, where all of Dwight, DMo, TJones, and Harrell could be free agents next year.

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

Its an interesting idea that Morris would take a huge buyout on his 4/32 contract. Would he go so low as to like $1m, or 500k to entice PHX to do it? Sign a 1 year vet min deal with the team of his choice with the hope to rehabilitate his image and get a big contract, even bigger than the 8m per in 2016? Maybe he is interested in that but would PHX give up on him like that? Surely NBA owners would not like the idea of a guy basically voiding his contract by acting a fool knowing the CBA has risen so much that he is vastly underpaid and can get even more in 1 year.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm not certain Markieff would clear waivers if he's cut. I could see Portland gobbling him up.