1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Markieff Morris likes Houston as a possible new destination.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Aug 13, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, we have better players already.

DD

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't understand why everyone is so excited. If it were like Josh Smith and he were waived and we could pick him up for cheap then it would be a no brainer for me. But it isn't that. But we don't have a trade package we can put together that makes sense for us. All of our garbage went out in the Lawson trade.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Thats not really true.

4. mockster

mockster Member

Why is everyone so opposed to getting him.

He averages 15 ppg 6+ Rebs and can shoot three pointers. I mean we had a 3 PF rotation last year plus he's great insurance. If he gets waived I'd scoop him up in a heart beat. Kid is young to.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15-6 with better defense and a better three point stroke than TJ, and 8 million a year under the new cap is an amazing bargain for a young big. TJones will be twice that much.

The year before last he was putting up 14-6 off the bench, and over an 18 PER, for an entire 82 games. We could most definitely use that.

I would love a Donatas, Markieff PF spot.

Patrick Beverley
    Marcus Thornton
    Corey Brewer
    Markieff Morris
    Clint Capela

off the bench... :grin:

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The problem for the most part is what you would have to give up to get him , just to make salaries match.

Only two options work right now to make the money add up.

Ariza - No thanks.

DMo , Jones + Dekker. No way No How.

More options become available in December ... and some I might consider but that also depends upon what PHX would be willing to attach to the trade besides Morris.

Jones , KJ & another player ? I need something else in return.

Brewer (in January) ?? I might consider this one depending upon how KJ plays up to that point.

If he gets waived I'd make him an offer too .... but even if he does , the Rockets can offer no more than the minimum and other teams have much more $$$ to offer.

Sure , I agree you could use Morris .... but again , the logistics of making the trade are just impossible at this point in time.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not, but DMo is better than Morris, so we're talking about trading for a slight upgrade at the backup PF spot....why would the Rockets want to do that?

8. krouchchocolate

for $$$ purposes. What will TJ new contract be worth?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Does it matter? You have Harrell and Dekker coming up to fill the backup PF minutes for even less than you'd have to play Morris.....also, will Morris be happy as a bench guy or will he become a problem in the locker room? He's freaking out in Phoenix because they traded his brother so he's not exactly the most professional guy in the world.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Respectfully, to those in favor of trading for him, I have one question I need answered: Do you really believe he's a good fit?.

We're all well aware of the Morey Dogma and his philosophy on the mid-range jumper. Morris lives in mid-range distance. Yes, he's a solid face-up player, but the fact of the matter is half of his attempts come from that distance and he shoots a lot of baseline jumpers. He doesn't draw many fouls, either, so it's not as if he's some sort of relentless force that starts from 15-20ft and then bullies his way into the paint. He's definitely not Carmelo Anthony, and he can't hit the corner three -- which is something we value in this offense.

Explain to me how he would be a good fit on this team. I think you guys are getting way too carried away with this bargain shopping mentality.

11. fbk81116657

fbk81116657 Member

in 12.15, TJ+KJ+Hayes=Markieff+second round pick from suns.

12. Sanity2disChaos

Lateral move ,if that.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We can't wait until December. No way Phoenix holds onto him that long. This thread is pointless. Whether he's a good fit or not, salary wise it will not work.

1 person likes this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I do think we have improved our depth, but in reality that bench compared to teams like Clippers, Spurs, probably even Memphis and Golden state, doesn't look all that.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We have a winner.

Thing about these situations is that so few people comprehend the cap well enough to realize what it takes to make it happen and who can actually be added to a deal and who cant .... It's their emotions making their mouth (fingers?) move.

Im sure most of us would love to improve the PF spot .... but this ain't the way to get it done.

16. Audioout

Audioout Member

Assuming Morey actually fears he might either lose Jones or Dmo or overpay for one of them, I can actually accept a deal like this one that was proposed on brightsideofthesun.com as long as they drop the lottery protection on that pick to something around top 6 or 7 protected.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qbhuq3w

What/Who involved:
    Washington Wizards receive Markieff Morris,
    Houston Rockets receive Kelly Oubre Jr., Archie Goodwin, and the Suns lottery protected 2016 first-round pick
    Phoenix Suns receive Terrence Jones and Kris Humphries

Both Oubre and Goodwin are interesting young players on easy to move contracts and that pick could be golden if the protection is dropped somewhat. Makes sense for Phoenix and Washington. A deal like this is risky with Dmo coming off surgery but could very well create the assets necessary for a much bigger deal to net a star or near star player.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Morris under long term control at $8,000,000 > soon to be free agent DMO

Under different circumstances the Rockets would probably scoop him up at such low money. He isn't a star but is capable offensively and defensively. He won't carry you, but won't embarass you either. He allows you to spend money at other spots.

18. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He's a pretty big baby, but he's a good player. I definitely wouldn't mind having him as a 6th man.

19. Nook

Nook Member

If by some odd circumstance he became a Rocket, he would almost certainly start.

20. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Why's that? D Mo is just as good on offense and considerably better on D.