1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Markieff Morris likes Houston as a possible new destination.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

That's not happening. They're not going to hurt themselves for 9 years

2. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

our locker room should have enough issues w/o Markieff ...

3. basketballholic

Only way it happens is if we traded them Terrence and he agreed to an extension that they felt was significantly below what the market will give him next summer as a RFA. And then again, they'd have trouble trading for Terrence. They'd have to send out Archie Goodwin and Jon Leuer for Terrence. Can't see PHX doing that.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

As I keep noting: Trevor and either Tjones or Dmo for Kieff and Devin Booker, yes. The Rox were high on Booker for the draft according to DocRocket (but we couldn't move up).

Kieff's contract doesn't suck in the new salary cap context.

But....just fodder for the summer doldrums of the NBA.

5. PeppermintCandy

He's not a big enough upgrade at the PF position to warrant the potential chemistry problem or loss of players/picks in a trade.

1 person likes this.
  6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

is this the good Morris or bad one?

both them are weird though. they share everything

7. basketballholic

Welcome to trade machine.

PHX ain't trading Devin to move Markieff.

We ain't trading DMO for Markieff.

We ain't trading Trevor for Markieff.

We for sure ain't trading boht Dmo and Trevor for Markieff and an uproven rookie.

Both teams say no.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We have the perfect coach he can rag doll

9. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

This.

Markieff can be our perfect stretch 4 instead we have two tweeners in DMo/Jones. His jumper is silky smooth and he was developing a post game last year. He was a borderline all-star last year.

You guys are all forgetting both of our PFs will probably make between 10-15m per year and both are not and never will be the stretch 4 that we need in our system.

We get Markieff and he'll be a better trade asset than TJones and/or Dmo in a few years can't say the same about either of their soon-to-be inflated contracts.

TJones can't really shoot 3s or FTs. Misses layups and has no post game. Remember Josh Smith started in front of him and that's when we started winning.

DMo is still a question mark. If he can't take a pounding down low for half a season what makes you think he'll do it for an entire year playing full-time minutes?

We need Kieff and we are buying super low like how we got Lawson.

10. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

A borderline all star? Have mercy.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Half of his shot attempts come from mid-range. Do we need a four that stands there and shoots baseline jumpers? Plus, his 3-pt shot percentage has gradually gotten worse over the course of his career and he doesn't draw many FT attempts. Average rebounder. Tremendous drop-off in shotblocking (compared to TJ). He's a hothead, obviously has an ego, probably wouldn't be okay with coming off of the bench and/or getting limited touches. His contract, while reasonable under normal circumstances, is still $32M owed to a malcontent. This is such an unnecessary risk.

I maintain my stance that I'd rather have Carl Landry at the minimum (assuming he gets bought out). At least, in terms of being a Houston Rocket when you project his role. Morris wouldn't start here. His primary purpose would be to come off of the bench as a scorer. He's a face-up player and his game is mainly mid-range oriented. Landry can do all of these things on a smaller and cheaper scale.

Mind you, this is all hypothetical since we don't actually need a player like Morris or Landry. We're currently two deep at the four spot and I'm fine with rolling into the season and seeing what our two young guys can do.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree with everything you said .... accept the bold part.

Having just DMo & Jones at the 4 , they are one injury away from a real mess.
    They could use one more guy who isn't undersized (Dekker might get some run as the stretch 4) .... If they sign Harrell I'm content going into the season with that group , otherwise I think they need some insurance.

Morris is not a big enough upgrade to justify the assets required to get him here and there are cheaper options .... not to mention the baggage. Let someone else have that headache.

13. Rokman

Rokman Member

I don't think this guy realizes that when you play like crap on this team, McHale benches you. If you're not the best at what you do Markieff (is that a name?) your ass is gonna really complain here. Rokman says no.

14. Raven

Raven Member

In Morey we trust. :p

15. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Dmo is better, TJ is better

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Unless we are getting KD or LBJ back, no way we think of getting rid of Ariza. He is obviously not as good as either superstar or any high quality SF but he does his job as well as you need him on a very friendly contract.

Honestly after Harden and Dwight, Trevor might be our most valuable player, Lawson, Capela, DMo, etc. included. He certainly was our 2nd most valuable player with Dwight injured most of last season.

I think Markieff is a good player and would fit our system very well but I'm not interested. Atitude problems aside, I'm very happy with the team we have right now. I want to see where we are at before drastically changing anything. Our depth is first rate and getting Markieff would ruin it slightly.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I can understand the hesitations on Morris because of his felony charge, and the maybe even the trade demand, but I think posters aren't recognizing how talented Morris is. He would bring something we could definitely use.

Morris plays alot like Carmelo Anthony as an undersized four with a very strong face up game and some three point shooting. A 1-2 punch of Lawson/Morris when our starters are off the floor would be a nightmare for opposing benches. In a world where Dmo and Jones will both get 15+ for their next contracts, Morris at 8m per year is a bargain. Unfortunately, nabbing Morris, would all but eliminate us from the Durant hunt next offseason. Assuming we can navigate the apron, I would look at trading some non rotation pieces (McDaniels, Dekker, etc.) when they become eligible.

[Youtube]qNWPM9_8Tmg[/Youtube]

[Youtube]ynyqHDFSikU[/Youtube]

[Youtube]BmLMU-jMiDA[/Youtube]

[Youtube]w20Hsdc2FOs[/Youtube]

[Youtube]V0GGx1T1zCY[/Youtube]

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

So basically TJones.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

His supposed breakout season was last season yet his numbers look slightly worse than T-Jones last 2 seasons.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Uh no, not at all.

Two completely different types of players.