1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban was going to sue NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dgn1, May 20, 2014.

1. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

that series was as rigged as the kings/lakers series

that amount of calls D-Whistle got was just ridiculous. Took Dirks second ring away and one the heat did not deserve.

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Yep, something wasn't right and Cuban knew it. I wish he would have gone through with it.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He went through rigging the series against Yao in 2005.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Its just crazy how the Donaghy stuff unfolded around the same time. We obviously don't know the half of it all but man there's some dots to connect here. It will come out eventually.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes indeed.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dirk wouldn't have gotten anything without Tyson Chandler. He came hurtling back to the ground, after he left him. He is highly overrated.

8. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

As much as I hate Dallas, Dirk is still legit.

9. Granville

Granville Member

As the article stated, Cuban's claims are ridiculous. He is the epitome of a sore loser.

10. gregas

gregas Member

Dirk was godly in 2011. The last guy who managed to take a group of role players all the way. No "supper friends" no "big 3", just him and a set of well selected support players.

11. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

As insufferable Cuban is with the douchery and 05 antics we all know crooked stuff happened either way. Sore loser or not I still wish he would have followed up. It may have been for his own personal butt hurt but it may have exposed the big picture. Its just ironic only Donaghy takes the fall among all this.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can't prove rigging just by the number of free throws or how bad the calls were. You have to have behind the scene evidence to show that there was a conspiracy.

That's right, like how JVG proved Cuban asked the league to crack down on Yao's screens. That's a clear rigging.

13. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

yea you might be missing a few chromosomes

14. REEKO_HTOWN

Mark Cuban can sit on it and spin.

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

**** Mark Cuban.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jeffvangundyfined

NEW YORK (Ticker) - Jeff Van Gundy of the Houston Rockets received the biggest fine of any coach in NBA history as he was docked $100,000 on Monday for comments about the officiating.

Van Gundy was complaining about a step taken by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who was said to have sent videotapes with alleged illegal screens set by Rockets center Yao Ming to the NBA for review.

The 7-6 Yao encountered foul trouble in both Games Three and Four. He was limited to 34 minutes in Game Three and 25 minutes in Game Four.

Van Gundy told the Houston Chronicle he had been told by a referee not working the playoffs that the NBA instructed its referees to treat Yao differently than other players.

“Before Game Three, I got a call from another official in the NBA who’s not in the playoffs that I’ve known forever, and he told me they were looking at Yao harder because of Mark’s complaints,” Van Gundy told the newspaper. “It proved prophetic, really, the last couple games. I didn’t think that really worked in the NBA, but in this case it has.”

After reviewing video himself, Van Gundy said Yao has been treated differently.

“When you review his fouls, you’ve got to give Mark Cuban credit,” Van Gundy told the Chronicle. “They said it on TNT last night. He’s been calling and calling about Yao. You’ve got to give (Cuban) credit. He’s taken a lot of fines in his time. He’s been on them hard. He’s gotten the benefit
    .”

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It's all fake and rigged.

When it is *legal* to rig games:

Manipulating a sports match's outcome for gambling purposes is outlawed. But Manipulating one to boost suspense—and therefore ticket sales, ratings, and advertiser demand—isn't.

Studies have found increased fan enjoyment and heightened advertiser brand effectiveness during and after buzzer beaters. Leagues, broadcasters, and marketing agencies are surely aware of such studies.

There is no federal law explicitly preventing the clandestine manipulation of sporting events to enhance suspense.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...-a-sports-game-and-why-it-shouldnt-be/273152/

Here's another from same professor:

Gambling-related corruption in sports is barred at the federal level by the Sports Bribery Act of 1964. In contrast, corruption unrelated to gambling is not explicitly banned. Such absence is problematic. Due to the “peculiar economics” of sports, commercialized sporting events are unique in that “nlike most economic contests, demand arises more from interest in observation of the contest itself (e.g. a race or a match) than in the outcome of the contest.” Working in concert with affiliated referees, coaches, players, facility personnel, commercial sponsors, or broadcast partners, a sports league cognizant of such demand function can, in theory and practice, manipulate its own contests to artificially inflate consumer interest and revenue potential. So long as such manipulation has no nexus to gambling, the rigging of game outcomes or individual events occurring therein is legal. No federal law definitively prohibits it.

http://wakeforestlawreview.com/nongambling-corruption-in-sports

maybe someone can start a thread on this. I don't watch NBA and am on my own self imposed boycott of the fake after rockets/blazers series.

17. Granville

Granville Member

I don't think we all know crooked things happened.... The author of the article gave good reasons why Wade got so many calls. Miami exploited a serious mismatch.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Morey wrote this? :p

19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I'm merely suggesting that Cuban may have inadvertently set forth the motion of uncovering all this crap. He didn't follow through but it may have opened Pandora's box. I'm setting aside Cubans personal motivation in hopes it would have revealed MUCH more by default. Even if Cuban was criminal in 05 it usually takes one to bring a whole criminal ent to surface. Kinda like 1 mobster corroborating with law to take the rest down. He's no angel but if it helps the big picture Im down. Donaghy is no angel and NO one listens. That's bull

1 person likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

**** Mark Cuban's cry baby ass.

1 person likes this.