1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban on bigotry

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, May 22, 2014.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Probably not the smartest thing to say whether its true or not:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...goes-full-mark-cuban-nashville-crowd/9395519/

2. Mr. Space City

LOL so a black kid in a hoodie is menacing and causes you to run to the other side of the street in fear? what are black people supposed to wear when it's cold or raining outside? black people can't do anything without being seen as threatening.

no mr. cuban, all of us don't think in such paranoia and ignorance.

what a stupid thing to say. shoulda just said no comment.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But would you run to the other side of the street if you saw a white guy with a shaved head and tatoos? ;)

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I get his point. Everyone has their biases.

But Sterling isn't being forced out because he has biases. He is being forced out because the way his biases are revealed is costing the NBA money.

5. Mr. Space City

no, i'd think he was a hipster or something.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Depends.

Is there a black guy on the other side of the street?

7. VBG

VBG Member

Yeah, I react differently to seeing a group of black guys in hoodies than little girls in their ballet uniforms.

Political correctness goes overboard sometimes

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Yea.....sometimes, it's not smart to let everyone know what you're thinking all the time. He could have kept that to himself. With that being said.....it's life. Many of us stereotype different races all the time.....letting the media dictate your opinions regarding race when we work with each other every day SMH. This is the silly world we live in.....I don't think racism is as bad as the blatant stereotyping that goes on. IMO

9. sew

sew Member

Probably shouldn't have went with the "black kid with a hoodie,' description, being that the Trayvon incident is still relatively fresh.

Smart move to mention the white skin head, although this likely won't stop the backlash he'll get.

10. basketballholic

Cuban is a fake Texan. Texans don't move to the other side of the street for nobody. They keep walking boldly right down the street with their hand wrapped around the loaded gun in their pocket.

11. Mr. Space City

if somebody wanted to rob/kill you they would just cross the street

12. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I lived in NY for 7 years. One night coming home playing basketball, I passed by a group teenagers. They occupied the entire side walk and they were not going move out of the way or left people go by as I saw it by the way they treated people in front of me by a few yards. So I was going to cross the street to wall to the other side but I went against my gut and just kept walking. As I approached the teens to pass by 2 jumped at me as if they were going to deck me, my natural reaction was to be startled and attempt to defend myself. As this happens they all started laughing as if it were a game. I had done nothing to them but they singled me out. These teens were black, am I to say that the thought that I had to cross the street was a bad one?

1 person likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think Mark Cuban is starting to overexpose himself again. Time to just fade quietly into the background like he did in 2010-2011.

14. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Thanks to all of the media & entertainment, we have stereotypes embedded into us. Everyone does. It is a trickle effect. Tons of movies depict the "bad guy" robber, gang member, ect as a black guy and the successful & powerful white guy. Same goes with tattoos. You see almost every bad guy in movies (white, black, asian, hispanic, ect) covered in tattoos. So now, you walk down the street, see a guy covered in tattoos, you immediate associate that with the stereotype of a bad guy.

1 person likes this.
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You obviously didn't understand his message and took his explanation literally.

It was his way of saying that everyone has there own opinions/fears.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I could have told you that before he made these comments. He's from Dallas. ;)

18. Mr. Space City

but comparing a black kid in a hoodie with a skinhead is ridiculous.

thoughts like that is why jordan davis was killed. that's a paranoia problem that you think someone is more menacing than they really are.

it's one thing to get scared by seeing someone walking down the street with an AR-15, it's another thing to get scared of an middle-eastern guy sitting on your plane. it's just ignorance.

19. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i think cuban understands it's about the money. NBA would never admit that though.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Everyone has natural prejudices based on experiences and probability. Respect to Cuban for keeping it real.

1 person likes this.