1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban: Every Bit of Me Wanted to Kick His Ass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 22, 2014.

1. dmoneybangbang

We aren't "pursuing flexibility" we are stuck with flexibility as the last remaining logical choice unless a worthy player becomes had. Now I realize a "worthy player" is plenty subjective enough, but I will qualify it by saying a player worthy in Morey's eyes.

It's curious that Cuban would set his major free agency deadline with Parson's timing. Do you think Parson's was the BPA after Bosh, LBJ, and Melo?

Ariza + a better PG for what CP25 makes would have been better in my opinion.

I understand the move, but I doubt Cuban does that if CP isn't a Rocket under Morey.

2. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The only thing that needs to be said about this deal and Cuban's explanation for it is this:

The last time we overpaid and structured the deal so that the player's current team couldn't match it, the player was Jeremy Lin.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ehh and Omer Asik.

50/50 on that one.

Yea, Jeremy was terrible, but Asik was a beast and we still got great value back for him.

4. Chamillionaire

Too many of y'all are underestimating Dirk even at 36, he's efficient as hell and is a BEAST. Maybe not on the level he once was, but not any worse than our own H&H. He's yeas ahead of Howard offensively and shows up in playoff series unlike Harden against Portland.

Believe me I want them to do $hitty but Dirk alone makes them formidable.

5. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

He's been GM here for 8 years. This Yao/Tmac talking point thats being used holds no weight. Portland's situation has been worse than ours, yet they currently have a better overall roster than we do. All GM's have bumps in the road. After eight years no excuses

Well, they sold Dwight on championship NOW. They didn't send Dream, Clyde, Mchale & Morey out there to sell Dwight on a 3-5 year trial period. Looking at our current roster we are nowhere near contender status. Meanwhile, The Clippers, Blazers, Spurs, Pelicans & Thunder have all got better. It's time to get realistic about how good we really are

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Ariza showing no real interest in leaving for Dallas is what tipped Cuban to make that move on Parsons. Without Ariza, we'd have been really screwed, we would have had to choose between scrub and awful contract.

7. errpac

errpac Member

Problem with that is Nash had chemistry with Dallas especially dirk, they wer buddies. THey didn't resign nash because they felt suns overpaid and they would had been cap strapped. Same situation as parsons. They also didn't re-sign Tyson chandler because they were going after big names. That was the year after they won a championship with Tyson being a key player. I don't see how he can say they build chemistry, when they instead chose to not overpay for some players exactly like parsons. Nash and Tyson at least had done more on that team then parson has on the rockets.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nah, some of the dudes are actually women. You just don't know it. ;)

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep, if Morey didn't sign Howard, Asik's contract would have been brilliant. (We still got some good value back. But we basically wasted a whole season of Asik's value.) Let's see if Parsons is more like Asik or Lin in terms of a contract gamble.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He isn't on the same level as Harden and Howard. He is seven feet tall and grabbed six rebounds per game last season. Can he still get buckets? Sure, but he isn't the best player on a contender anymore. Those days are over for him.

He isn't an MVP candidate or even an All Star anymore.

11. Chamillionaire

You just made my point. The dude is being underestimated. He's not the rebounder or defender Howard is but is still an offensive juggernaut. He's shooting an average with his career and will continue to do so at least another season or two.

12. Chamillionaire

Best player on a contender, no. But are they as good as us right now? It's a toss up.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

how.does.replacing. calderon, dalembert, marion, and carter with chandler, parsons, felton and jefferson make them suddenly better than us?

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Good point.

15. Chamillionaire

They may not be better than last year, but my point was that Dirk is still an elite player on par or slightly below our own Harden and Howard. He's definitely lost a step or two being 36, but he's efficient as hell. He can still take over games offensively a la Harden. And Harden played like crap against Portland while Dallas took eventual championships to 7.

Listen I hate the Mavs as much as the next guy but Dirk is still Dirk and they have a top notch coach. They aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don't hate the move for Dallas. They overpayed to get him and gave him a contract you basically can't trade - but I don't think he is overpayed too much. Maybe 3 million a year too much.

But that Cuban quote kinda shows, why Morey is a better strategist. Cuban is too emotional - he was mad because of some of the things in the past and he wanted to get back at him, so he stole Moreys favorite toy. He got it, and he feels great about it - but he loses a lot of flexibility. Is their current team enough to compete? Personally I highly doubt it. He has his star in Dirk, a little aging perhaps. He has 2 great all around role players in Tyson Chandler and Parsons and has his offensive spark in Ellis. That's a playoff team, but I don't see them winning against LAC, SA or OKC - and I don't believe they can beat GSW or HOU. And I even think they'll have problems against Portland and maybe against Mem... that leaves them fighting for the 6th spot.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Dallas took the spurs to 7 because of dalembert, Calderon, Marion, and carter and not inspite of them

I'm not saying they're bad. But how can one argue they are better with the offseason changes?

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dirk's playoff series v the Spurs would have made Harden's playoff series like an all time great in comparison. Dirk was really really really ****. Those other guys they got rid of? not so much.

19. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

you forgot that the mavs also got tyson chandler and we lost omer asik and chandler parsons.

the mavs are definitely better than the rockets right now.

20. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

QFTT!