1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban: Every Bit of Me Wanted to Kick His Ass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Aug 22, 2014.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

His reason for not getting drafted was that he wasn't athletic, he was old and his average of 12 pts a game was underwhelming however his draft status has nothing to do with his actual real basketball ability because within his rookie year he was able to displace C-bud in the starting line up so unless you think the Rox are miracle workers who can make a guy go from 2nd round fodder to starter material in just half a season it shows that Parsons is indeed NBA ready when he entered the league.

Of course his offense improved but considering his defense regressed can you really say it was a massive improvement? At the end of the day Cuban still paying Parsons pretty much the same salary as Harden, even if Parsons breaks out and becomes a superstar he just crosses over from "overpaid" to "paid just right"...that's not exactly something to cry over.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Rox not developing Parsons and him being the same player he was in college are two different things, getting experience and working on his own in the summer is bound to improve Parson's game no matter what the coaching staff did. If you compare Parsons and Kawhi Leonard, Parsons already had some NBA-level moves in college while Leonard was projected to become a career role player. In 3 years though Parsons improved offensively but regressed defensively, while Leonard kept everything he had defensively and also improved tremendously offensively. If Parsons was actively being developed by the coaching staff like what the Spurs did to Kawhi, then Parsons wouldn't have regressed defensively because it's pretty clear his defense needed work and the coaching staff would have picked up on that immediately and worked on his D. However, we can see that Parsons just improved his shooting (which could be done on your own or with very minimal assistance from coaching staff), and his playmaking abiities/court awareness, which are innate or come from playing experience.

I don't really understand the bolded part of your statement, salary is not an indicator of your actual playing ability, are you honestly trying to argue Parsons is a max player (ie superstar) because he got a max contract?

3. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Not when you get dirk for 3 years 25 million.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

What he's paying Dirk doesn't change that he's overpaying Parsons. By paying more than 0, he's overpaying Felton too.

5. Rox4life1986

Rox4life1986 Member

Parsons will fit in the Mavs system just fine with Carlisle, Dirk, Tyson, and Monta. He'll thrive over there......... like it or not.

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

nope, you're looking at it the wrong way.

if you had dirk and parsons for a combined ~$23 million a year, that's not overpaying at all.

7. baubo

baubo Member

The only way you can look at this as a package deal is if Dirk told Cuban "I will only take $8mil if you sign Parsons and no one else." AFAIK, this did not happen. Hence, Cuban simply had about $15 million to spend on FA this season because no matter who he signed, Dirk would've agreed to the $8mil/yr contract.

Instead of Parsons, Cuban could've spend $15mil elsewhere. Maybe on Bledsoe, or Stephenson and Spencer Hawes, or Lowry and re-sign Vince, or a variety of other options. I can't say if these alternate scenarios are better or worse than Parsons on an untradeable contract. But that would be the much more proper way to look at it than "Dirk+Parsons for $23mil"

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I guess we will just have to disagree. IMO the Rockets have proven over and over that they can develop young players. Parsons was at best the 4th option and typically the 5th offensive option (even with Dalembert on the floor) for the Rockets his rookie season. His advancement as an offensive force in the league has been huge and that is what got him paid.

Plus his athleticism is on par with most of the other players I mentioned that were 1st round picks.

9. bongman

bongman Member

Love it! If you can get the competition to make decisions based on emotions, that is a win by itself.

10. baubo

baubo Member

You may be an insider, in which case I defer to your inside knowledge. But how are you so certain that Leonard's improvement is due to the Spurs but Parsons' improvement is due to himself? Did the Rockets really teach Parsons nothing during his time here? While the Spurs constantly teach their players who would not have developed on their own?

I neither said Parsons deserved his max contract nor did I try to say he's a superstar. Personally, I don't believe max players has to be superstars, given that it's only 23% of the cap and by all accounts, superstars are worth a lot more.

But even if you ignore salary, if we had a re-draft of 2011 draft, you still think he goes 38th?

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He didn't hurt his team at all. Dirk is 36 - these next couple of years are it for them. Worst case, Parsons will be an expiring contract after that. Cuban signed the best player available to maximize his chances of winning in the short-term, which is exactly what he should be doing.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Just In...... Parsons has joined Brazil this world cup..... Brazil sees him as the star they needed....

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban joined KRLD-FM 105.3 The Fan Friday to discuss the team's biggest rival, Daryl Morey and seeing the San Antonio Spurs win a title. Here are some highlights.

On the Dallas Mavericks’ biggest rival:

“It’s still the Spurs. Probably the Houston Rockets more now with what happened to Chandler Parsons. Oklahoma City is still going to be strong. But, yeah, it’s still got to be the Spurs.”

On if things are personal with the Rockets with Daryl Morey:

“Oh, all good business is personal. Trust me, there’s nobody more competitive than me. Every bit of me wanted to kick his ass and I would have felt bad. Obviously they got Dwight [Howard] a couple of years ago. Yeah, I wanted to beat him. And that’s a compliment to him. Daryl is very smart. It was very much like a game of chess.”

On the Rockets making inquiries on Dirk in the trade market:

“I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?’ He asked if we’d trade Dirk. At first I thought it was taunting, but now knowing more about Daryl I don’t think it was in hindsight. That’s just not his style. It says a lot about their approach more than anything else. They just have a different understanding and approach to chemistry than we do. Some teams, and that’s not just the Rockets, just put together talent and the talent takes care of itself. We think chemistry matters. When Carmelo came to visit us, there was no chance that we were going to put him in someone else’s jersey number and put it on the outside of the arena. That’s not our style.”

On seeing the Spurs win a title:

“As much as I dislike the Spurs, I’d rather see a Texas team win. I’d rather see a team from our division win. I have a ton of respect for Manu Giniboli, for Parker and for Duncan. It’s been 14 years and those guys have been here for most of that time. Even though you want to kick their ass, you’ve still got to respect them. I certainly wanted to see them win before I saw the Heat win.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20140822-cuban-why-i-wanted-to-kick-houston-gm-daryl-morey-s-butt-in-free-agency.ece

14. TheFreak

I don't think that's anyone's style. Embarrassing.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Cuban is a LOF obviously

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wow Cuban is really insecure about the Rockets :eek:

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

As has been stated numerous times, Morey is in Cuban's head. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised that he so up front about it.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Yes he did. Cuban did not sign the "best player available" by any stretch. He struck out on big name FA's two years in a row and settled on a good but not all-star caliber player instead.

So not only did he fail, but then he compounded it by tying up his team's cap space in mediocrity.
    <br>
    <br>
    Except it's been proven with multiple examples that many teams have done this in the past and continue to do it.

Next.

19. baubo

baubo Member

Cuban's style is making a video of Dwight Howard as a cartoon superhero and then when it failed, tell everyone that he preferred Calderon and Have-it-all for winning anyway.

20. TheFreak

I see we have another in a long line of jilted lovers here.

How was Parsons not the best player available when the Mavs signed him? Who else should they have signed?

So they have no cap space - and? What good is cap space when Dirk is 36? Do you think he should be pursuing 'flexibility', a la Morey, when Dirk only has a couple of years left? What would your master plan have been?