1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mark Berman] Ryan Mallet has injured pectoral muscle, could miss a few games

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Nov 23, 2014.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think that has to do more with the shoulder pad and straps....just adjusting it and putting it back in the position he is comfortable with before he throws again.

As far as everyone giving the guy a pass now because of this injury, I honestly dont blame his inaccuracy on this issue. I blame his inaccuracy on the fact that he's always been inaccurate. Sorry, but you dont launch the ball as hard as he did and then say that he was inaccurate because of a pec muscle. That's not how muscles work. If it was hurting his accuracy then it should have also been hurting his velocity.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's a good chance he wasn't going to be the long term answer anyways. Almost similar to the Matt Leinart cameo. Time to start figuring out which players are salvageable and which ones need replacing/upgrading.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Ouch...

Bright side is the Texans will be able to give Mallet a super cheap contract and see what they have in Savage.

4. Remii

Remii Member

That's a painful injury and maybe he was overcompensating. Valid point but no injuries are the same.

Do you think if he was hurt during the Browns game, he had to have a good week of practice before the Cincinnati game for O'Brien to go with him...? Or was he hurt right before the Cincinnati game...?

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You could tell it was bothering him during pre-game warmups.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I keep seeing parallels between the two in a number of ways: talent evaluation, lack of vision, coaching miscues, players and so on. It vexes me to no end.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Oilers were actually remarkably good talent evaluators - they drafted/signed three HoFs over a 2-year stretch. And those late 80s/early 90s rosters were dotted with talent up and down.

Mike Holovack was a remarkably good talent evaluator. I believe he had his hand in building all three successful eras of the franchise.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im guessing he was okay during the week of practice...otherwise, it was a poor decision by OBrien to roll with him and a poor decision by Mallett to practice all week with a hurt muscle that could affect his play.

As far as the Oilers are concerned, I started hard core following them in 1990 when my family got season tickets for about 4 years. Those early 90's teams were so freaking talented. The fact that there is a A Football Life episode dedicated to the 1993 squad should tell you how talented they were. Never lived up to the potential there, damn. :(

9. Major

Major Member

No one complained about Kubiak starting Keenum even when he was terrible. New, unknown suck tends to be forgiven far more than old, proven suck. And coaches get forgiven for at least trying something new and failing, if the old wasn't working. Besides, a lot of people were also saying Mallett had no chance of being better than Fitz either.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's not the Boselli Curse it's the Curse of the Astrodome!!! The curse will not end until the Astrodome is upgraded!!! She is filled with anger from all of the years of failure and neglect. She sits their rotting right next to the Texans palace and everyone pretends her rotting corpse isn't there. I'm telling you, make her happy and just watch as all of our players turn All Pro including finding the elusive elite QB. Make her happy and watch as we start to dominate the NFL!!!

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If he was injured before the game, then maybe he does get somewhat of a pass.

It also might mean he's extremely tough.

It would also mean that he's kind of stupid and selfish.

Let's say that his poor performance was do to a pectoral injury. He shouldn't have played. If he was injured and tried to play through it, once he realized it was causing him to play like crap, he should've pulled himself.

I get it that he's been waiting a long time for his shot and that he's probably a competitor who wanted to grit his teeth and push through it. But he sucked yesterday. It was worse than any game Fitz had played for us. We would've been better off with Fitz playing over an injured Mallett. I'm fine with riding the highs and lows with Mallett. But if he's injured, and it's costing the team an opportunity to win, then he shouldn't have been playing.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I actually agree. Its the Curse of the Houston Oilers. The Texans will never succeed until they do something with the stadium. Whether they tear it down or turn it into a park or whatever, something must be done. The stentch of failure from the oilers and astrodome still haunts the Houston Texans.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RT <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL">@McClain_on_NFL</a>: Just left Texans dressing room and I'm told Mallett is out for rest of season.</p>&mdash; Adam Wexler (@awexler) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexler/status/536944242258497536">November 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sucks for Mallett. Just when he had an opportunity to earn a nice contract.

14. Raven

Raven Member

But what if he sucked for the rest of the season? He wouldn't have gotten anything other than a training camp invite. He's had one solid game and one bad game, but he was injured during the bad game, so that might buy him enough wiggle room to still be "set for life".

15. Raven

Raven Member

Savage time? :eek:

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In a lot of ways this is a good thing, we didn't want Mallett getting a big contract and now he won't.

18. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I would really hate to lose Mallett to another team. I still believe he can be our answer at QB and then we can address other issues in the draft such as DB and LB

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Your players getting injured is NEVER a good thing. SMH.

20. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Yeah, it sucks that he's done for the year, but in many ways this is actually pretty good for the franchise. We won't have to commit to him long-term and jeopardize our cap space, and we'll have the flexibility to address the quarterback position in the offseason.

If there's a quarterback we like in the draft, we can absolutely snatch him up in the first round now. Then we have the whole offseason to evaluate the QB position and go with the best one available to start the season, whether it be Mallett, Savage or a rookie.

Anyways, I really hope we go with Savage for the rest of the year. It'd be nice to see how he's developed up to this point, even if he's not completely ready. And besides, we know what we have in Fitzpatrick, and it's certainly not enough to lead us anywhere in the future. Maybe Savage is that guy, maybe he's not, but I think we should at least try to find out.