1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mariota, The Great

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Air Langhi, Sep 27, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You remember when you were a kid and you were saying my dad is better your dad, and the kid says his dad could beat up Mike Tyson or defeat Michael Jordan in a dunk contest?

It's this guy add 5 to 10 more years to his age.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm insanely surprised by how good he's been in the pocket coming right out of a spread offense. I thought his quiet demeanor showed cracks of indecisiveness. Looks like I whiffed big time on projecting him as a bust.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You had every right to be concerned. But running a spread offense in college doesn't disqualify a guy for the NFL, it only puts him at a disadvantage.

Mariota has an NFL arm (unlike a boatload of college spread QBs) is exceptionally smart and he is coachable & humble (unlike RG3).

Regarding his demeanor, I thought that could be a big problem also. I didn't view him as a good NFL prospect until his final season at Oregon when he finally started showing signs of leadership. He'll never be Drew Brees where his personality dominates a team, but guys like Flacco and Eli prove you don't need to be.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It is increasingly difficult to jump to the NFL these days for the QB. I read an article the other day where NFL GMs have basically said the college game has been so diluted by the transition to fast pace (Chip Kelly) that most of these young QBs can't even recognize a simple cover 2 defense.

You don't have to ooze charisma to be an NFL QB these days, but I was wondering how his demeanor would translate to taking command of the offense. He's proven that he can move the ball with his arm, so thats the first step because the league is over the read option.

5. i3artow i3aller

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2 things really jump off the screen when studying Mariota: poise and pocket movement. Way ahead of schedule. <a href="https://t.co/zMybNRc42V">https://t.co/zMybNRc42V</a></p>&mdash; Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) <a href="https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/648703453632536576">September 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

the league didnt figure out the read option, it was phased out by goodell and the nfl owners

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Somebody has a couple of screws loose.

Will you please get therapy so the grown ups can talk about football? Everything is not a conspiracy.

8. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2012

2012 was the golden age for quarterbacking to me, running qbs had their rules, and pocket qbs had theirs. Nobody took running qbs serious until wilson, rg3 and kaepernick all made the playoffs as young stars. That was when nfl rules vp dean blandeano came out after kaepernick had torched the packers and aaron rodgers at candlestick for 181 rushing yards, goodell and blandeano came out and said right after the 49ers comeback win in the nfc championship game againist the falcons that," any qb in the pistol, or read option formation is to be treated like a runner.".... those words ended the read option.. NOT NFL D-COORDINATORS... its what made the ravens an underdog to a favorite with vegas overnight

The league wants qbs to play the qb their way or no way at all, but thats what makes sports like the nba to me a better product, just because dirk nowitizki can't jump as high as lebron, we arent gonna penalize lebron and say you can only dunk a certain amount of times a game.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

All this of course after Goddell and his cronies successfully snuffed out the Wildcat in 2009. :grin:

10. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

WILDCAT was stopped by d-coordinators, dean blandeano phased the read option out

d-coordinators "figuring" out the read option is one of the biggest myths in nfl history

if coaches at the high school and college ranks( lets say another inovater like chip kelly) came out with another play where running qbs had success with another unstoppable play. There is no doubt in my mind the nfl owners would ask goodell to step in again. I hate to sound racist, but nfl owners saw how black kids hijacked the pg position in the nba( which was once an all-white position)... although the nba still gets good ratings, it doesnt nearly as much as it used too, the nfl doesnt want that to happen to it

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Texans should just keep drafting defensive backs.

Because you know it's impossible to find a good QB like Luck and Mariota in our division

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was going to respond to this, but then I just went about my day.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

subtle Forgetting Sarah Marshall reference is fantastic.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Mariota and Tom Brady on the same bye, alignment of the torch handing.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, how bad would it suck if the Colts finally experience a downward trend only to have the damned TITANS pick up the slack and dominate the division for years to come?

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

watching the championship game i thought both mariota and cardale would/will be bust but for different reasons. mariota with the spread and seemingly got worse as the game went on. cardale was okay but most of the plays he made wouldn't work in the nfl.

now zeke is a player. reminds me of a faster arian, the way he cuts into the hole. i doubt we can draft him, he'll be top 5.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

#houstonsports

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This kid can play. Has poise and smarts

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Keenum>Mariota

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Tyrod the great?