1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mario Williams nominated for NFL Defensive player of the year: VOTE at nfl.com

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by dsnow23, Jan 7, 2008.

1. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Mario Williams was nominated for NFL defensive player of the year. Fans get to vote. Nominees are Mario Williams, Bob Sanders, Antonio Cromartie, Patrick Kerney, and Mike Vrabel. Vote for Mario and read article at:

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-defense

2. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

bob sanders already won.

3. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

Bob Sanders deserves it. I didnt know Williams was in contention though. Thats pretty impressive.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

It's a different award. Bob Sanders won AP DPOY. This is the "Official" NFL DPOY. I don't think Bob Sanders deserves it at all. I put him behind Mario, Kerney, Vrabel and Haynesworth, not necessarily in that order.

5. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Actually Bob Sanders is the official Player of the Year. AP determines it. The NFL site is just something fun for the fans to play with.

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Proud of Mario. Even when I was one of his biggest critics. Texans management doesnt look so stupid now...

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That is some good company to be mentioned with.

Mario = stud

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Any award that depends on fan votes doesn't deserve to be called "official".

9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Well, at least Mario was in the running for AP DPOY with 1 vote.

10. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Mario did us proud this year. He brought some respectability and credibility to the Texans and the city of Houston. Thanks, Mario. Go kick ASS next year! :p Congrats on a remarkable season in spite of MANY obstacles! :D

11. SamPatir

SamPatir New Member

I'm not sure Mario is the best defender on the Texans.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That's some first post you got there.

13. ABtheTerrorist

i agree.demeco and possibly dunta are better,however, everyone loves mario's sack numbers.people always point to that and its hard to argue with.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's a lot harder for a DE to get a sack than it is for a MLB to get a tackle. By nature of the position, MLB's are going to get the most tackles on every team.

As far a Dunta goes, I love him but he's not exactly Champ Bailey when it comes to coverage...

15. SamPatir

SamPatir New Member

Demeco is a much more consistent player at this point. Mario is hot and cold and was the beneficiary of some broken plays.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

This is a silly statement. Every player in the NFL benefits from broken plays.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You count Mario not getting a sack as "cold".

Its also pretty difficult for a MLB to be "cold" due to the accessibility to multiple tackles per game.

What I want to know is why you feel Mario was hot and cold. He played great all year. Maybe a couple games at the beginning of the season, he wasnt as much of a force as he could have been, but I'd say he was very solid and consistent for 90%+ of the season.

18. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

You know you just got to love intelligent posts like this. :rolleyes:

Last year, everyone was bagging on Mario because he did not get to the QB enough nevermind the fact he was playing not hurt but INJURED. He was hardly practicing. Mario showed himself to be the consummate professional by taking all the naysaying and catcalls and answer his critics in the best manner possible on the football field.

SP, what you said is basically pointless of course, 'Meco is going to be in a bunch more plays that what LB's are supposed to do. The DL keeps the OL engaged in then the LB's roam and make plays. That's defensive football 101. DUH!!!

Bottom line, Mario got 14 sacks! Try to delineate its importance however but only the great Bruce Smith had a better second year in the NFL! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it! BTW, I'm sure a few of Bruce's 200 career sacks we as a result of broken plays. Brilliant analysis! :rolleyes:

How about this? It doesn't matter how you get them but that you GOT them! If you have skills and you have talent those ingredients will help you to continue to duplicate success and yes, cause 'broken' plays to happen resulting in tackles for negative yardage and sacks.

Some of Mario's games ie: the Saints game he only had ONE sack but according to some the way he was harassing Brees and getting after RB especially behind the line, he played arguably his best game of the year!Then there was the Denver game we he truly played like a SUPERSTAR, a man among men if you will.

I wonder what people will say about Mario next year? That he's the most overrated 20 sack Defensive Lineman in pro football? What a joke. Say whatever you will, Mario is not EVEN close to the poster bust SOME here and media pundits wanted to make him out to be. Deal with it MW-naysayers, Mario is good and he's only going to get better. :p

19. DreamRoxCoogFan

demeco- BEST d player on the texans. no one can argue with that. leads the team in tackles, and an MLB has MUCH more responsibility in a defense than does a d-lineman.