1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mario, I was wrong, the Texan's made the right choice

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's ok, New Orleans fans still think Reggie Bush is great. They will learn.

Actually, on Titans boards, people are not so universally enamored of Vince anymore.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Does he like rap or hip hop?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

????

[​IMG]

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I have no idea. I hope not, that would ruin the trip.

I will listen to some Motown & Parliament while in Detroit though. And I will listen to some Ohio Players while in Ohio.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Thread jack time!

To me, this is more mind-boggling than everyone loving VY. At least with Vince, there's something there. (How big or small that "something" is up to debate, of course.) Reggie, OTOH, has shown absolute nothing to date, except for some fabulous, game-changing 1-yd TDs.

6. Mr. Clutch

Technically, they are both at the bottom of their positions statistically.

Granted, for young QBs that is normal. Not so for RBs. See Peterson, Adrian.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Exactly, which is why I'm willing to give VY more time. Bush has no excuse.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I have to agree with you on this especially if Schaub (God forbid) turns out to be injury prone and they are forced to look for a franchise QB once again. That would suck and suck mightily. Again, this is not really a slap at Mario at all. I've said on more than one post that while I believed Mario to be a legitimate first round pick, I could not see him as the first pick and I just felt that they Texans) should have addressed the QB situation in 2006. Going into the last game of 2007, it's still somewhat murky at that position due to Schaub being unable to play.

9. Mr. Clutch

Who the heck is leinhart?

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Do you understand that there are more components to a football team than the quarterback? Yes, the Texans could have taken a quarterback in the draft (though Schaub has clearly looked better than all three so far) and saved on the second round draft picks. However, if you do that -- who replaces Mario's production -- Jason Babin? :rolleyes:

If you replace the resources you used to take Mario and use them to take a quarterback... then to have the team they have now, they'd have to spend similar resources to acquire an elite defensive end to shore up the defensive line and the pass rush. So they'd likely lose the picks anyway.

Hurt them for years? LOL, what a drama queen. Even if you think Mr. rating in the 60s is actually a legitimate NFL quarterback, the Texans lost all of two second round draft picks the following season to acquire another good one. Two second round picks... boy, that'll cripple the franchise. Especially since, in your scenario, they'd have had to swing a deal for an impact DE anyway.

They're DOOMED!!!!! :rolleyes:

11. The Cat

You're a riot sometimes with your illogical pessimism.

Schaub has generally played very well, but a couple of injuries have you convinced he's injury-prone and that the Texans will have to l ook for a franchise QB again. However, of the three you mentioned -- Young has looked awful, Cutler mediocre at best, and Leinart had a season-ending injury (much worse than any by Schaub) and whispers of losing his job even before the injury. Yes, they're young, and they have plenty of time to turn it around. But to give them the benefit of the doubt and essentially assume that ANY -- much less ALL -- will be a legitimate franchise QB -- while assuming the absolute worst case when it pertains to the Texans and Schaub -- is a joke.

12. Mr. Clutch

Cutler mediocre at best? I dont think so.

I'd much rather have him than Schaub, but Schaub over Leinhart/Young.

13. The Cat

Cutler's passing numbers are comparable to Schaub, but the fumbles are a big concern.

That said, when I use the term mediocre, obviously I'm referring to his first two years. Do I think he'll continue to improve and become a good to very good quarterback? Yeah, I do. Like you, I think he'll be much better than Leinart or Young. All I'm pointing out is that it's funny how Hillboy consistently gives the benefit of the doubt to non-Texans and assumes they'll all turn out to be franchise-level studs, while he consistently assumes the worst-case scenario involving anyone on Houston.

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

WRONG. Mario was going to be taken 2nd by the Saints. No debate.

The NFC south was 3-13 against the AFC south and I don't know how the AFC West did as a whole but I know the Texans were 3-1 against them and they did that as the worst team in their division.

Trading down for VY? Surely you of all people know he was taken 3rd. There were a lot of questions about VY then that have resurfaced this year with his passing. If it were not for Bud Adams, Lineart would have been taken before VY. The jury is still out on if Shuab can be a consistent good QB but the texans are in a much better position with him as a Below Average QB and an All Pro Defensive End as oppose to just a Below Average QB.

#54 Brando2101, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  15. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

I understand you're overly enamored with VY but, tell me if Mario potentially turns out to be Bruce Smith and 'Meco turns out to be Singletary or even Ray Lewis. How does this set the Texans back for years? Improving our defense is bad? :confused:

Hell, with exception of our expansion year our D has sucked because no pass rush, aging or worthless secondary and our best LB option was Kailee Wong. Though good he wasn't a superstar. Seth Payne; Gary Walker, Travis Johnson, Jamie Sharper, Jason Babin just to name a few ... :rolleyes:

I say personally we hold off playing judge, jury and executioner until next year. The third year is the "**** or get off the pot year!" Potentially all 3 could have very good to possibly great careers (it's possible) but, Reggie has the biggest hill to climb. He has largely shown nothing and has a WHOLE LOT to prove. We'll find out next year if he is at least good enough to stay in the league past 5 years or if he is another one in the great list of ALL TIME draft busts!

Last year it was VY. This year Mario nudges past the other two. What will happen in year 3? Tune in next year for ..."As the World FARTS!" :D

16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Mario is 22 freaking years old and is leading the AFC in sacks. Not bad for a player you merely consider "a legitimate first round pick" but one you can't see as the first pick.

Since you don't want to refer to Mario as 1st pick worthy, could you please at least call him what he would have been if the Texan's hadn't made the pick? In other words "A top 2 draft pick" because that was what he surely would have been. A "legitimate first round pick" is not accurate enough.

#56 Chilly_Pete, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

ask him who he thinks should have gone number 1. go ahead, ask him.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If VY continues his mediocrity for another 3 years, did the Texans still make the wrong choice?

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Why was Mario unimpressive before the bye week? Is it because he didnt get sacks? If you are judging his play on stats, then you are completely ignoring his play on the field. I do agree that he has been more of a beast over the last 6 weeks or so, but he was very solid before the bye week.

20. WarioMillie

WarioMillie Member

Mario has had six straight great games, but before the bye week, Mario was very unimpressive himself.

Yeah, it would seem that way looking at the right monday morning box scores. Though if you watch the games, any game, you see mario getting the most attention and the most double teams, yet still applying consistent pressure (which doesn't always show up in stat lines). In the games you reference when he DOES get his stats- you still see that kind of attention, but it just didn't matter. And it will continue to matter less and less if his skills continue to develop.

If VY continues his mediocrity for another 3 years, did the Texans still make the wrong choice?

Three years? If VY continues to improve his decision making and accuracy at his current blistering pace, in three years he'll have a passer rating of almost 78!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.