1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mario, I was wrong, the Texan's made the right choice

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

There really isn't any point from my perspective in arguing this. If Mario got 30 sacks a year, opposing running backs averaged 2 yards a game against the Texans front and the NFL had to change the rules of the game to give offenses a chance against him. And VY had a 1 TD 45 INT year...UTitans fans would still say we should have drafted VY.

O.k...o.k you are right VY is the ultimate football talent in the history of football...I am just glad I got to see such a great talent twice a year in my lifetime :rolleyes:

2. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

It was our first good draft since the team came into the league . Now they just a few more of those to get moving in the right direction .

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

seconded... :D

And I'd like to see mario repeat this performance next year before I'm sold.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh hell no !!!

V-Span should have played last year, and he would have really done better this year too.

An attacking PG is what the Rockets needed...and the guy was 6'4" not 5'10"...but that argument is moot until Billy comes back to the league.

DD

5. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Are you serious, V-Span was the biggest piece of garbage who ever touched the NBA courts. He could barely dribble, he would get ripped all the time.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

well considering mario is better then your boy vince and we most likely ended up with an even better quarterback in the end, i find it hard to not like that draft at this moment.

7. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Your idea though smart and realistic looking on the surface, really would turn out to be superfluous and unrealistic because, it would have NEVER happened.

Mario was projected top 10 even before the combines. Draft boards had him getting swooped up presumably at #4 by the Jets. Then, NO brass was chirping that if available they would take him at #2.

So, the trade down possibility never really was an option.

Just be thankful how that draft turned out for us. I mean Mario in the 1st and 'Meco in the 2nd? Wow! These guys potentially have ten time all pro and pro bowlers written ALL over them. :D

Do you know with if Mario goes over 15 sacks for the season, he surpasses Bruce Smith's 2nd season numbers? That's right! The great Bruce Smith!Man, double WOW! :eek: :D

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, the bar keeps being raised.

Last year, everyone was crying that he never got any sacks. This year, he leads the AFC in sacks and some people still aren't sold.....unless he does it 2 years in a row.

What will be the next expectation? A sack in every game of his career?

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If he doesn't get a fumble return for a TD each game then he is a monumental bust, in my opinion.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

No, breaking the single season sack record AND making a game winning sack on VY...c'mon now, is that too much to ask? :confused:

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think it is too early to say that what would have been best. Mario has had six straight great games, but before the bye week, Mario was very unimpressive himself.

Vince Young is hurting himself by trying to be a pocket passer. He is great because he can run. Maybe in the long run it will help, but for the Indy game next week, he needs to take off when he has the opportunity.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I never doubted the Mario draft, although I'll admit I wanted Bush in the begining.....mainly because of the media overrated hype.

I didn't even know who Mario was till the draft (when they all had profiles)

Great pic, further reason to say. Thankgod no one on this board runs the Texans. :D

#32 Uprising, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sure, the 95 Rockets had a nice run in the playoffs, but they were very unimpressive during the regular season that year.

14. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

So true, we ended up with a better qb anyway

06 draft

round 1- a DE that has a chance to lead the NFL in sacks his second year
    round 2- a pro bowl LB that will make trip after trip to the pro bowl
    round 3- your starting RT that looks great (seriously Winston is good) and then Spencer who looked great before he was injured but he could still be your LT for the next 10 years
    round 4-Daniels a pass catching threat at TE
    round 5-trade for Moulds, did not work out
    round 6-Lundy here for 1 year
    round 7-Anderson, still on the team makes catches

first 4 rounds are money

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

KY isn't great at all.

My wife and I had an old friend of hers and her husband who are in town for the holidays from Michigan over last last night. He was talking about how Mario was a BEAST. I told him that a lot of people here really wanted KY in the draft and still don't really care for Mario etc and still rather would have KY. He was in utter disbelief.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Guys from Michigan have inferiority complexes about VY.

[​IMG]

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So who was your friend? Lloyd Carr?

18. MR. MEOWGI

I don't know or care who that is. College football is lame. He is just someone not knowing about all the draft pick turmoil here in Houston. His opinion on the matter was unbiased and based on what he currently sees. He didn't even know KY was from Houston etc. He is a very honest person, viewing the situation the same way people outside of Austin and some nut lickers in Houston see it.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Was he also the 16th President of the United States of America?

20. MR. MEOWGI

No, but is he 6'4" and has a beard. And he is giving us a place to stay when taking us to Cedar Point this summer, so I will say nothing bad about him.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.