1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mario Elie- new show on 610 radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBar, Nov 16, 2006.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Just heard at 11:45 am today that Mario is hosting his own show before games. I have seen him on Fox Sport Southwest, and this is in addition to and separate from this new feature on 610.

I am glad to see Mario maintaining his ties to Houston. He will always be loved here.

Good luck on the new show.

2. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

I'm sure Mario is a great guy and Houston loves him, but I wish the Rockets would stop hiring ex-players to do broadcast or analysist. Most at this point had been horrible. Bullard, Clyde, Cooper, and Elie all do the I'll give 110% althlete talk. I personally can't stand it. The only person I really like was Calvin Murphy. Calvin actually has some pretty insightful things to say and is entertaining on the air.

Props to Elie for being the player he is, but his monotone voice literally lulls you to sleep.

3. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

I like Mario, but before the Spurs / Rockets game he's sporting his Spurs Ring. Hello?? you're working for the Rockets so you may want to wear your Rockets ring instead!!

4. caffreys_irish_ale

Wasn't Calvin innocent of all charges?? It's definitely time to get calvin back on the air.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He isn't working for the Rockets. He works for FSN Houston.

6. caffreys_irish_ale

Good point if it was also televised in San Antonio. I didn't even think of that.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yeah, the guy who does the post game desk "Rockets Report" show is also the same guy who does "Spurs Report" after Spurs games.

8. famicom

famicom Member

Was there something bitter between the Rockets and Mario Elie? I faintly recall something but just can't remember what actually happened?

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Carl Herrera and Scottie Brooks cornered him and touched him inappropriately

10. RikQuik

RikQuik Member

When the failed trade for Damon Studemire was going down, it was leaked that Elie was going to be part of the package we sent to Toronto. That ticked the guy off, because he felt betrayed. That's when he left us and went off to greener pastures.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I was pissed at Mario for wearing his Spurs' Championship ring the other night when he was working the Rockets/Spurs game.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

hell, I thought he was coaching somewhere...

13. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

Mario was a assistant coach with the Warriors before Nelson came back on board.

I dunno, I've seen one pre/post game section with Mario (the Knicks game one), and he sounded like he was talking a lot like a coach, and not an athlete. He was talking about the specific defenses one could expect to see vs Yao etc. Personally, I found it to be insightful.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's 5:45, did anyone hear the show?

15. thesaint

thesaint Member

I was at Fox Sports Grill for one of the games this season and he was going to be interviewed for the post game show. Elie was barely watching the game and sipping drinks and looked like he was going to fall asleep any moment and at times talking to the cameraman. He was also watching the Nets game at times insted of Rockets game. After the game was over he quickly watched the highlights of the game and summarized his opinion over the highlights only.

I like Mario Elie as a ex rox player but no way i would consider watching or listening to his insight into Rox after what i saw. I think fans like us on clutchfans would give a better insight and summary about the Rox than Elie would.

16. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Oh, yes that would be much better...

"Rockets need to play Novak now!!"

"Man, what the rockets need is Mike James out there running the show"

"Let's sacrifice rebounding and defense for offense! Because offense wins games, people!"

17. markus4040

markus4040 Member

Couldn't agree more, lets give the man a second chance. Calvin and Bill made the Rocket broadcasts special, like we had our own seat next to them at the games. You felt like they were two of your boys watching the game together. Remember when Bill would always clown Murphy for eating all the cookies. :D BRING BACK CALVIN :D