1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Thornton agrees to deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 12, 2015.

?

Do you like the signing of Marcus Thornton to a one-year, vet minimum deal?

1. YES

646 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. NO

33 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Maybe he sucks in practice guys, or did something to piss people off, or most likely, hes a big black hole on offense and plays no defense.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

According to McHale, the whole team has sucked in practice, so how would that get him benched?

3. malakas

malakas Member

He probably sux the worst. At this point it's better to keep the main rotation guys in games to try and fix their chemistry and communication problems.
    If that problem isn't fixed no matter how many minutes Thornton plays we will lose and lose.

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

i hope he finds his way into the rotation. thorthon gets buckets!!!

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not so sure it would have made any difference if thornton was on the floor. the problems are the defensive and offensive sets the players are running, not who's running them. the switch everything bs just results in wide open looks or mismatches for the opponent nearly every time. on offense the spacing is non-existent with little player movement and plays just eventually devolve into the ISO crutch. this team has been losing half their games by 20 or more going back to the clippers series now, so i'm not convinced thornton will be the bandaid to magically fix all our woes

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

^^^^I don't think anyone thinks MC will fix everything, but he could be something that actually works, when so much doesn't. If you're getting blown out, you have to take your core guys out early anyway. They're not going to get a good run out there under those circumstances to help develop chemistry. It just snowballs into poor play and frustration. Give your guys a better shot to keep games close, so that your main guys actually have a reason to play focused and motivated, as the game continues. That's a good way to start developing chemistry.

but look at Harrell....he wouldn't be playing right now, if Dmo was healthy. He's a perfect example of why you can't be so stubborn all the time, especially when you're getting spanked. I know McHale had no choice but to play Harrell, but he's showing he can still contribute, even though he's not part of the core group.

#546 RV6, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Just start this man while Harden's feelings get better.....

8. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I mean did you guys ever wonder why we only got him for 1m a year if he's so awesome? The guy is like Dion Waiters but not as good, which is pretty bad. He has no awareness, has averaged like 1 assist his entire career, doesn't rebound, doesn't play defense.

All he is good for is standing in the corner to shoot and even when he does that he's not very good. Check out some of his pre-season stats if you don't believe me.

24 minutes
    32% FG %
    29% 3PT %
    11 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.7apg

Offensive rating of 100, TS % 41.5, USG % 24.1

Do you see that? He uses a quarter of the possessions shooting 41%!!!

Seriously guys, what are you seeing that I am not?

9. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

See my post above, he sucks. 25% usage, 41% TS, 29% from 3.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is 0 0 0 this year.

DD

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Those are his pre-season stats when he played 24 mins a game for us.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Knocked down plenty of 3's in the preseason. Clearly capable. When the team is in dire need of offense, he's a good guy to turn to. Why not at least try it out?

13. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

clearly capable of shooting 29% of those 3s, which is worst than Terrance Jones.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Folks have found their new Terrence Williams, Isaiah Canaan [and the likes].

"Unleash Terrence! #FreeTWill!"
    "Play Canaan!"

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Hey now at least Twill had shown flashes of greatness. Don't disrespect Twill like this. :cool:

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Play this man.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Flashes of greatness, lawlz :grin:

Story or song of Terrence's basketball:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ov4epAJRPMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Terrence Williams has been everywhere.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He isn't a shiny new rookie full of potential that makes fans overrate him. He's a veteran, proven enough that we know what he's capable of. Giving him at least one try in a trainwreck game doesn't seem like too much to ask.

That said .. I would have even liked to see KJ out there jumping around if it will break the ugly stagnation we've had to watch.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Do you judge every player based on preseason stats or just when it helps make your point?

No one said he's awesome. He's a scoring guard, who has shot the 3 ball at around the same rate as some of these other guys jacking up threes. The point is you can't leave an option sitting there, when nothing else works and the game is getting out of reach. Twice. On top of that, can't he get garbage time? Won't he benefit from practice, conditioning and building chemistry in garbage time, like the other bench players?

The reason he was cheap is because he needed to come to a good situation, where he'd get open shots and build up his stock, so he can get a good deal before he gets too old. I'm almost sure I read he turned down more money elsewhere. His job would be easy and limited here, with a contender, and a good organization. A deep playoff run could also get him more exposure. Look what it did for Brewer.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thornton is going to be that guy this year, I see.