1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Thornton agrees to deal with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 12, 2015.

?

Do you like the signing of Marcus Thornton to a one-year, vet minimum deal?

1. YES

646 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. NO

33 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. hooroo

hooroo Member

people are voting no? c'mon, pull your socks up

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I wonder if we trade a couple pfs or nick Johnson and get our pg if terry will be back

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Relax man, go find another pen15 to club.

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Bro I was just joshin I just thought he should know about his thread, let's say you make me a thread I drop my bombs in it

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those who do not know they most likely would vote no.

6. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

So this probably is the end for Jason Terry if there's no trade.

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Looks very likely.

8. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Trade is definitely coming.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Really would have liked to bring Terry back for the locker room presence alone, but you're probably right that it looks very unlikely.

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Think Terry back to Dallas is inevitable.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Birdman doesn't really qualify as a sharpshooting 4.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lets be honest, he won't be missed with the Thornton signing.

At worst, Thornton will bring the same exact production Terry brought this year, a veteran shooting spark off the bench who will put up around 10 ppg while shooting 35+% from beyond the arc. Plus Thornton's 10 years younger.

I like Terry, I like his locker room presence and leadership, but he can't have too much more left in the tank and when a younger better option like Thornton comes along at the same low price you take him.

Terry isn't a sure goner though, if we make some trades opening up some roster spots i'm sure we'd try to bring him back for chemistry's sake.

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I love the way terry keeps the crowd in the game

14. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

Love This signing. Prolific shooter, great scorer. Minimum signing is a can't lose for the Rockets

15. htownking

htownking Member

Like this signing. Low risk - decent award. The guy can get hot quick and while he doesn't do much defensively, he can get points quick. He has a good release and he can help space the offense with his outside shooting ability. He's on a minimum deal, so he can't really hurt.

16. Milos

Milos Member

I think you guys are onto something ...
    It was initially the TRY from Codman that caught my eye ... then seeing that Rick played in New Orleans thanks to smoothie ... suddenly Cod's UNDER clicked, as in UNDER Sea Level ...

Guess who has only played for 2 of RA's 6 teams?
    TYREKE EVANS
    I don't get the "but the man knew talent" part, as the 2 never crossed paths in Sacto ... any ideas how that fits?
    If it's true DM isn't interested in Lawson, Evans makes about $4M less over the next 2 years, and is a proven 6th man

I think Ryan Anderson makes a ton of sense as the Squaking Bird 4 sharp shooter too
    We have a history of making deals with NO, and Anderson has been rumored to be a DM target going back to the Asik trade last season
    Then you have the KJ McDaniels angle, where the Pels are rumored to soon offer the RFA offer sheet Morey's been waiting to match
    Plus both teams rumored to be interested in Boozer too?
    Just too much coincidence over interest in same players to overlook for me

Maybe Morey is working on a megadeal with NO for Evans and Anderson?
    Both would instantly fill 2 huge holes on this roster NOW:
    R Anderson is the dead-eye 3pt shooter at 4 we've been needing next to Dwight for 2+ yrs
    T Evans is the combo G with size off the bench who can create off the dribble for himself and others we've been needing to relieve Harden for 3+ yrs

Why would NO look to move Evans and Anderson?
    With A Davis now re-upped to mega money (starting with $25M in 2016), plus new deals for Asik, Ajinca and Cunningham, Anderson's $8.5M expiring deal will likely not be extended with so few minutes in the frontcourt
    Although it seemed like Evans finally found a nice niche as starting PG on this team last year, that was only after Holiday went down with injury
    Now that Jrue's back, he may be unhappy going back to the bench on an invisible team in a contract year

Ultimately, NO's main motivation would be to move Evans now and unload the $10.2M he is owed in 2016
    I'm sure they would rather move Holiday's $11.3M, but coming off injury, they're unlikely to find many takers
    If they could find a taker for Evans contract, I'm sure they'd throw in soon-to-be Ex-Pelican Anderson to get the deal they want in return
    With Houston and NO loaded up front, this smells like a 3-way deal to me

With Gordon+Anderson+Pondexter off the books, and the cap expected to jump again to $89M in 2016, NO could clear nearly $40M in cap space next summer by moving Evans or Holiday now
    Maybe Davis let them know he needs help soon, or he won't be coming back to NO next time he hits FA?
    If so, the extra $10M in cap space could allow them to go after 2 max-level FAs next summer
    In any case, Evans is not the superstar perimeter scorer they need to pair with Davis to reach true contender status, so highly unlikely he's a Pelican in 2017 either way

I still have some unanwered questions which could make this impossible, if anybody can clear them up:
    A - If NO made the RFA QO, could KJ be used in a SnT deal to help match salaries?
    I don't think he can, so maybe as part of deal we instead have a 'wink-wink' agree not to match his offer sheet to help out NO?
    B - If we use some MLE money, can we include UFA Boozer in a SnT deal?
    They have been linked to Carlos already, and he could be nice replacement for Anderson in limited minutes making much less than $8.5M
    C - Along with the standard KPap/Prigs/TJ package, does anyone see a way we can use some mixture of KJ, Boozer, Dekker and other pieces to match the combined $19M in salaries for Evans and Anderson?

Maybe I'm way off, but could DMo (to a 3rd unknown team) be on the table if Anderson is coming here, and Codman is correct that JSmoove is indeed in the bag?
    Maybe he could be the key for NO, as the central asset they could parlay into the backcourt help they need?
    Would hate to lose DMo, but think I'd rather hang on to Capela long-term, plus Codman mentioned his back is not recovering from surgery very well
    Maybe Morey is proactive in moving him now for 2 vets that could put the Rockets over the top NEXT year, rather than risk playing the BigManInjuryWheel again?

If the deal is there to be made, I think I'd take my shot with this lineup next season:

C - D12 / CCapella
    PF - JSmoove / RAnderson
    SF - TAriza / CBrew
    SG - Beard / MThornton
    PG - Bev / Evans

1 person likes this.
  17. AB423

AB423 Member

Awesome pickup, this guy can light it up anytime.

18. malakas

malakas Member

interesting. However Holiday has multiple stress fractures in his feet so Tyreke even if holiday is back, is the insurance they need esp with Eric Gordon expiring. They also want to make the playoffs again and are in win now mode so it's not likely they trade for picks and just capspace. Rhyno on his own is worth at least TJ.

And the answer to your questions :
    No we can't include either KJ or Boozer in a s+t right now (kj theortically we could but because he doesn't have the iq of a turnip we can't).

Maybe we can exchange for such big salaries if we give an extension to TJ but not 100% sure.

In the end trading both Rhyno and Tyreke Evans for such a package is a straight up robbing of NO. And while they are not the smartest FO one thing is clear for them. They are in win now mode and want to make the playoffs. So even in the case they would like to clear salary they wouldn't do it by trading both, and they wouldn't do it right now. And in the end they would like to get expiring players not picks and rookies or unguaranteed contracts.
    Besides NO is not a fa destination so they will have to be very deluded if they think they could attract not one but two MAX fa .

19. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Now that's heck of a deal, hopefully with Marcus in a winning situation and he'll bring that scoring punch he brought when he was with the kings. Definitely much needed scorer who can create his own shot.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

21 to 402 votes wow. pple here really dont care if terry leaves.

seasoned rs and po veteran, exceeded expectations in the rs and po for us vs a fat ass guard who cant play defense but used to light it up years ago? for the vet min i'd take terry anyday. good thing its only a vet min and not a 6mil/2year deal.