1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Smart loses his mind in Lubbock and shoves a fan.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Cat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lmao. These labels for 18-20 year old kids are just stupid. Theres nothin wrong with the kid, that fan could've got his damn head knocked off but fortunately didn't. If he's the best player available then I'd love to him on the Rockets

2. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

I'm guessing Orr was heckling him throughout the game and Marcus lost it after that foul call near the end and went right at him. So we don't know what Jeff said to him throughout the game, but going by the video and that isolated incident, I can't hear the alleged racial slurs.

Jeff Orr isn't no angel either though. He makes an appearance at the end of this video! :grin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i0NdJahHN0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. makio9

makio9 Member

If that man said the N word with those two middle-aged women next to him that were clearly on his side, then that is audio that I need to hear.

There's no way he said anything beginning with n other than Nice try dick.....cheney

4. makio9

makio9 Member

Why would a black hater be front row at an American basketball game?

5. makio9

makio9 Member

And P.S the shove is always a big deal. Violence is never right no matter who says what to you. Seriously at what age did you get taught that? Hopefully under 10.

KD is wrong for saying that!

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Man, some of you are blissfully naive.

To be clear, I have no idea whether this particular guy is racist. But to think that watching American sports precludes racial animus just b/c most of the players are black -- come on.

7. Andrew Wiggins

No, he flipped him off then he pretended he was a turkey.

I heard: "PIECE OF CRAP ******." He didn't scream the N word as loud and it wasn't until he uttered that word that Smart jumped up and went over.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

He did it so the issue would blow over, and it appears it has. Who knew that the speculation of racism would be front page news, but the truth would be backpage footnotes??

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Many moons ago I was watching a college basketball game on TV with some friends. Purdue (our team) was playing LSU. One guy blew my mind when he called one of the LSU players as n****r. Both teams had black players.

People say interesting things sometimes. You will learn that as you get older.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Once again...that is an aggie "yell" signal. He's mocking him. Could it be something else? Sure, but he never actually flicks him off, which leads me to think it may very well be the "yell signal".

For those that don't know, there are several Tech fans that do tons of research before a game to come up with heckling material. Not saying this is an example, but it wouldnt be surprising.

11. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

I simply posted the video showing that he has heckled other players before, not saying he's blatantly trying to say "screw you". Nonetheless I'm sure fans try to come with up some clever ways to heckle opposing players.

12. amaru

amaru Member

I didn't hear the "N-word" clearly in the audio....but assuming the fan said it I can sympathize with Smart.

I hate that word....it is an insult to every single person of African/black origin on the planet.

That being said, it still doesn't give Smart the right to go into the stands. If somebody is using that word, that just shows the kind of upbringing they have. You shouldn't give trashy people the time of day. It's tough but you just have to be the bigger man and just let that kind of stuff go.

1 person likes this.
  13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

He didn't 'go into the stands' so much as he landed there after trying to chase down a dunk...

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

i was joking dude, hes projected to go like top 5. LOL

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Anyone defending the actions of Jeff Orr in this day and age just because they share alma matter is seriously misguided.

16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I will wait for BaylorBear's take on this

1 person likes this.
  17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

"Piece of Crap" would not make Smart that angry. Period.

That's elementary school stuff.

I love how people are so unwilling to believe that a fan said something unforgivable during a game. The same people think Ron Artest should have said "thank you" when someone baptized him with a beer.

I don't condone what Smart did, but damn, you have to push someone far enough to have them react that way. This fan did and you can tell he's an ass from his apology and the videos of his fandom.

He shouldn't go to any more games until it cools down. He's a distraction for his "beloved team" now.

Hopefully he just stays home.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm not really defending his actions.....just saying they are overstated. I would agree that he needs to spend some time in the penalty box.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

And you know this how? You're implying that Orr is irrational, and that Smart is rational, ie Smart would only react if Orr said something much worse than what he actually said. How do you know that? Smart kicked a chair for no reason earlier in the year.

I'm not really defending Orr....he needs to reevaluate his demeanor at these games. I'm just saying that we are overstating his actions.

Here's my guess at what happened (which is worth as much as your is): Orr, in the heat of the moment, said something stupid. Smart, also in the heat of the moment, did something extra stupid. Then, when Smart realized what he did, he initially made this "racist" claim to try to justify his action. Then when Tech came out with video proof of what was said, OSU and Smart had to reevaluate their claims/accountability.

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

None of us really know what the man said and by you stating that Smart is an idiot lets me know where you stand...

There are a lot of things that you can say to someone... But calling a black man a "Boy" or the "N" word is like setting off a piece of dynamite. It takes a lot of restraint and discipline to contain your emotions in that situation.

So for you to call the man an Idiot is way off base and for your information.. There is still racism out there and there are words that are still a factor today...

I can guarantee you as a black man in 2014 I still can't live in Vidor, Texas.. So please don't call people an idiot if you haven't walked in their shoes.

T_Man