1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Smart loses his mind in Lubbock and shoves a fan.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Cat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The issue isn't whether there is still racism or not. Also, saying that calling a black man a "boy" or "N" word is "dynamite" is not an excuse for going after someone in the crowd.

All Smart had to do was let the official know and security would have made the man leave the arena. You do not put your hands on someone else, and players know that.

Smart will still be a lottery pick based on the fact this appears to be an isolated case, but his lack of self control will be discussed in war rooms on draft night.

Further, all Smart has done is make sure that fans will single him out based on his reaction. If you are an NBA team, spending a top lottery pick on a player, do you want to draft someone that you are worried will be ejected in the playoffs because a fan said something nasty?

Last, there have been some fans close to the event that said the "super fan" called him a "piece of ****".

2. Nook

Nook Member

Repped.

If the fan said it... he is a scum bag.... just walk over to the official tell them, and they will remove the fan. I have seen Mario Elie and Kenny Smith do it. No big deal was made of it, and the person was removed.

3. amaru

amaru Member

............ok

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I'm not justifying what Smart did... He deserved the punishment that he's receiving and it's a lesson learned...

Hindsight is 50/50 and to say he should tell the authorities is not as simple as you think at times... As I stated it takes a lot discipline and a lot of times a lot maturity.

My response is too htowntmac30 something that called him an idiot... Again we are going off of people who said he didn't say something.... Again, we will never know... People can cover up things also...

I understand what you're saying, but the man made a mistake and one that he has to learn from... That does not make him an idiot.

T_Man

5. T_Man

Nook.. You are talking about grown men who know how to handle such a situation... Smart is a young kid, with high adrenaline and he's doing the only thing he knows how to do... This is a great learning lesson...

T_Man

6. Nook

Nook Member

It is a great learning experience.

Yes, he is a 19-20 year old young man. Unfortunately for him, he will be somewhat judged on what happened because millions of dollars will be at stake.

Let me make it clear, I would not take him off my draft board based on this event, but I would look to make sure it isn't a pattern if I were a GM. Similarly I would investigate Johnny Manziel in great deal before I invested millions on him.

7. T_Man

Totally agree...

8. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I'm just glad to see this being resolved, and both parties being adults about it.

No lawyers being pulled in, no fake injuries, no unjust penalties. Just a slap on the wrist, and public apologies from both parties.

9. The Drake

The Drake Member

Man, how pathetic is it that Orr's defense is "well I only called him a piece of crap?"

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

There's a difference. 'Going into the stands' implies pulling an Artest. It's much different than when you land there and shove the guy standing directly above you...................................... ok

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

True, but where Smart landed and where he walked up to that guy was a difference.

Anyhow, none of it matter anymore bc this:
    They're accepting responsibility for their actions and not calling themselves victims.

12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

13. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

FIXED

I respectfully disagree. I don't know what race you are, so I'll reserve judgement. But I don't think you can generalize how someone should've reacted after being called a name like that, IF you are not african american. The N word has the most history of hate behind it than any other word in the english dictionary. Theres no other word uglier than that word. You can't expect every african american to turn the other cheek knowing the history behind that word. It's not fair on that person.

Not saying the fan used the word, but if he did then we should all agree his reaction was justified

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

i dont think you understand what fight or flight means... you expect a 6-5 250lb guy to run away like a p***y and tattletale on some old ass white guy talking ****? In th eheat of the moment he reacted the way he should

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

1) Who is 6'5 250??? I hope you're not talking about Smart.

2) If it was "some old ass black guy talking ****" would it have been OK for Smart to "run away like a p***y and tattletale"?

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I do not see how Smart is a lottery pick.

He's neither a PG or a SG, and he can't shoot a lick.

lol, and his flopping..... lmaoooo.

I would not touch this kid with a 10 ft pole if I had a lottery pick in the upcoming draft.

17. Willard Decker

^Smart is a classic case of NBA GM's being fooled by supposed basketball intangibles and saying, "I want that on my team."

--Captain Decker

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I wasn't all that high on Smart before but now I am.

Kid is tough. I like it.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I like how title of this thread is "Smart loses his mind" when it should be "50 year old Lubbock fan loses his mind"

20. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Oklahoma state has lost 9 outta their last 11, and are 2-7 against seeded teams with Kansas and Iowa state still to be played in the last 3 games.

Just a question, what happens to smarts draft stock if they miss march madness? He was suppose to have a pretty stacked team coming into the season but just looking at the record recently I'm thinking they might not get invited