1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, May 6, 2012.

1. stefanb

stefanb Member

This is going to be a looooonnnnngggg off season.

2. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

i dont think we should trade marcus , if we do we will regret it , the only way he can be traded is for a superstar, but i see marcus developing kind of like granger (kind of slow)

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1. Difference between could and hasn't. He hasn't been able to show that in games or practices for some odd reason.

2. There is no other player on this roster with the potential to become a Pierce/Melo/Bryant type shooter/scorer outside of Morris. - You could say that about several NBA rosters, while I think there are players on other teams who realistically have shot at developing into shooter, like Pierce, Melo, or Bryant. Moreover, it's not saying much comparing him to rest of the roster, which at this point are much more capable players than he is. Even going into the future, I do not see him becoming a better player than Chandler Parsons, who realistically has a chance to become a very quality NBA player and possible all-star.

3. Yes, he has size, mismatch abilities against other forwards, a shot, and some handles, but he does not compare favorably to those other players you mentioned in their youth.

4. Realistically, do you think he could shoot efficiently taking 14 to 20+ shots per game with defenses concentrated on him. He has alot of work to do.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Les said he hit 32 out of 33 3s in practice.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's odd how the prevailing is that Morris hasn't produced because he sucks, yet TWill didn't produce because of Rockets conspiracy in keeping him out of games. This despite Morris has the excuse of no offseason and position switch, while TWill had a history of not being coachable and difficult to develop.

I'm not saying Morris can achieve a status similar to Melo. I personally think there's not enough to judge him either way. But I do find that some players seem to be whipping boys for no reason while other players seemingly can do no wrong.

Does this mean Morris should follow TWill's lead and start twittering more? :p

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What I'm saying is real simple. He's the only player on this current roster that has a chance to become all that. No one else has a chance.

Parsons is a good player. He's going to get better. May indeed become an All-Star down the road. That's not what I'm talking about. Parsons will NEVER be a guy that can raise up over the D and can the shot. He'll never be overplayed because his J is so sick and the D has to overplay it and give him the drive. He'll never be the cog that entire teams have to plan to stop. There's no chance he'll ever become that.

There's no chance anybody on this current roster will ever become that, except possibly Morris.

7. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

and he was drafted...at 14th?

Good luck convincing yourself.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

**** LE$

DD

9. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

I agree with you jopatmc, but that says more about our roster than it does about Morris.

That being said, we don't have any superstar quality players, ao we need to keep Morris if possible to seek if he can tap into that potential. But if by moving him we get an extra piece to getting closer to that superstar, he is definitely non untouchable.

10. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

This. Morris isn't even close to having the handles to break down defenders at the 3 position

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I like Morris, I think he has lots of potential.

I guess we'll find out just how much pretty soon.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Morris' "chance" of ever being that good are infinitesimal, so thinking of him the way you describe is a waste of time.

Realistically, the guy probably isn't going to be any good. If he's able to develop into a legit rotation player, fine and dandy. This is where hopes and expectations need to be. Maybe in some alternative universe he'll have a shot to become a top 10-15 player.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is a stupid argument. Pierce was drafted 10th. And he was so lowly thought of, the team with the 9th pick of the draft actually offered the Rockets 9th an 19th for the Rockets 14th, 16th, and 18th picks. Morris was also in the top 10 in most mock drafts. So it's not like he's lacking in lottery talent.

14. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

I really hope he can develop that 20 point game against San Antonio in the pre season was very promising at the time.

15. cdastros

cdastros Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PEkTobMjpTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Nor will Morris from what I've seen those players had that kind ability, like young Melo, Pierce, or Kobe. Moreover, those players developed their games alot over the years. Right now, Morris isn't even up to snuff against those players in their college seasons or Kobe's first couple of years. He just isn't. It's saying alot for a player who couldn't get minutes on a team that was not filled with any great players.

Similar shot is one thing, similar ability is entirely another one. All of those players were carrying their teams offensively in their first year, while Kobe was quickly becoming a go-to offensive option for the Lakers in his 2nd year as 19 year old player. Another point worth mentioning is that Morris spent three years in college and was never anything close to being a dominant or explosive scorer. Nowhere near Carmelo Anthony or Glenn Robinson in terms of production, a little closer to Pierce, but all of those players came right into the league and essentially carried the scoring loads for their teams -- also coming out of school at earlier ages. He simply doesn't have the mentality, right now to be that kind of player. Honestly, I do not see where this realistic potential is coming from or is it more wishful thinking.

In Parsons's case, he doesn't have to be that type of player. He was a 2nd round draft pick, any thing he does in his career is exponential, unlike Morris who was quite disappointing this year. Morris has too improve substantially to put Parsons on the bench.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

All that proves is we need to trash this team and start all over. Morris can't dribble or shoot a three. Both essentials for a three. He can't rebound or play better than Patterson or Scola at the 4. He may get better but given the opportunity he hasn't shown that capability yet. He does have a nice fadeaway but it isn't automatic and nothing else he does is special. I am all for development but Morris is not the future superstar we need on this team. We do not have him yet and until we lose enough we probably won't get any superstars anyttime soon.

18. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Please, tell me more. Did Paul Pierce get outplayed by a second round rookie that most of us thought wouldn't even make it to the NBA? He played and started most of his rookie season's game(lockout season) averaging 15+ pts and 6+ rbs, shot 40+% from 3, what did Marcus Morris average? Don't give me that "play time" argument. Morris could earn your play time, just like Parsons did. A player don't just sit there and show nothing and gets play time.
    Pierce was a clear SF when coming into NBA with very nice shooting touch, did Marcus Morris show that in college? He could shoot mid ranger jumpers, nothing extending to NBA 3s when he was drafted.

And mock drafts, I'm sure there's reason they are called "mock".

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That is false.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

By this reasoning, Melo had no future as an NBA 3 when he came into the league. The guy average sub-30% in his first 4 years with the Nuggets.