1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Morris should be sent to the D-league

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bilguun, Dec 30, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm fairly sure Morris will be sent to the D-League . . . in due time.

The script that the Rockets have traditionally followed was to let the rookie learn the system in training camp, preseason and the first month or so of the regular season.

Obviously, this season's schedule is thrown off; but I still anticipate that Morris will learn in (limited) practice with the Rockets for at least a couple more weeks before going down to RGV for game action.

2. valorita

valorita Member

Morey really liked Patterson when he drafted him last year.
    This year, it seems he is luke-warm on Morris, or am I just reading him wrong?

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Nah, Morey really liked Morris. Had him ranked around #8 or so on his draft board.

The confusion may be due to the fact that the Rockets were absolutely THRILLED to get Patterson last year. They had him #6 on their draft board and actually tried to TRADE UP for him three times (to #9, #10 and #12) before he ended up falling to the Rockets at #14.

I don't think Morey was actively looking to trade up for Morris; but he was still happy that Morris "fell" to him.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

After playing PF for his collegiate career, he needs sometime to adjust the SF. The roles are much more different. Getting a lot of minutes in the D-League as a SF could really pay big dividends for Morris.

With the exception of Dorsey, Morey's been drafting players (or trading for drafted players) pretty well.

5. monster

monster Member

If that's what it takes to get him some playing time, then I'm for it.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

It really sucks that Markieff is getting more playing time than Marcus. i guess the thugs shooting dice on the corner were right all along, Markieff supposedly is more NBA ready.:(

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

You asked...

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...t-round-draft-pick-marcus-morris-to-d-league/

8. Dei

Dei Member

I'd believe this if Parsons wasn't playing before him.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Marcus is behind Bud, TWill and Parsons for the 3 spot

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am surprised that Parsons didn't get sent to the D-League also. Morey must be higher on the 2nd round rookie than Morris at this point. FTW seems to be very accurate with his SF rotation.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Morris is not ready yet, obviously. Let's see how he performs as a s/f in the D-League.

BTW, it probably means Thabeet will be activated for the Lakers game.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Signing Dalembert, Thabeet inactive, McHale shortens the rotation and now this? The tankers must be on suicide watch.

13. cdastros

cdastros Member

Marcus has not played the 3 since high school. To put him at the 3 at the NBA level right now is not smart.

14. valorita

valorita Member

Markieff is doing fairly well in PHX with playing time.
    I think Marcus will be fine. We've seen flashes of his offense in the preseason. He will probably tear it up in the RGV and put them in place for a good winning record.

Morey probably consulted with McHale and asked him if he thought Morris would get any playing time in the next week or so. McHale said that he's after Bud/TWil/Parsons.

On a sidenote, I think TWil didn't get any playing time last game because he was tardy. It seems he has a tendency to be late to meetings.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

A little surprised that they actually went through with this, but I guess I really shouldn't be. Morris is taking longer than I personally expected(maybe too optimistically) to transition to the 3 spot. I still believe he has the skillset for it, and still a high ceiling as a player because of it, but obviously his time has not come. From the few minutes I've seen of him so far, it looks like the major adjustment is mental. He has that deer in headlights look when on the floor, clearly overthinking instead of just playing. He didn't have this problem in college, and his brother isn't having this problem in Phoenix, so to me it's clear that it is due to adjusting to the new position, as opposed to not being able to handle the NBA. Hopefully more reps at RGV will bring him along so that he can contribute in a few weeks.

Also, this move doesn't mean Morey is "higher" on Parsons, at all. Parsons is simply able to contribute earlier than Morris since he has grasped the team's concepts at a faster pace. It doesn't mean he has the higher upside, or that they view him as the better player. BTW, I do think Parsons was a steal of a pick, like Budinger.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This is the right call. It's tough enough for a rookie to adjust to the speed of the game at the NBA level. To ask Morris to do it with practically no training camp, at a new position, and on a roster deep with wings? Tough to do.

Once he grows more acclimated to playing on the perimeter, the transition will be much easier I think.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well said, and this will help Morris get a lot of playing time at the SF position and with his mental attitude, he will probably come out guns blazing down there and really dominate, forcing the club to bring him back up to Houston.

I expect Parsons to get a shot down there at some point too....as McHale shortens his bench.....

I really hope Morey can clear out some of the vets for picks and go more developmental oriented, but that is not an easy thing to do.

Tell you one thing though, I have a reason to watch RGV ball now.

DD

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

patpat did it and came back and did very well

This will allow Morris to adapt to his old position

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Too bad TWill, Flynn and Thabeet can't go as well....WTF is the Dleague for if you can't use it in year 3?

DD

20. bilguun

bilguun Member

I think someone mite of shown this thread to morey haha