1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Morris Q&A by Jason Friedman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Alvin Choo, Sep 27, 2012.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wasn't arguing this though...it's just not helping him. He may still not become a starter, but i find it hard to believe it's not going to help him in some way. He needs all the help he can get to transition to the SF spot.

The problem i see is he considers bball and video games his whole life...obviously not literally, but that could realistically mean he practices for 4-5 hours early, then comes home and plays video games the rest of the day, or most of it. I know it sounds like it could cancel itself out, but it doesn't really work that way.

He started at 13, so its very likely he practiced/worked out less, as most kids do compared to pros. He could have been putting in more time with games, than bball, for years developing dysfunction. Fast forward 10 years and simply "cancelling out" sitting with basketball won't fix it.. It just won't make it worse....but again, it's not that simple to cancel out the effects. Even if it were, it would mean he'd get no benefit from working out, since he'd be stuck in a cycle: dysfunctional --->works out to be less dysfunctional--> plays video games and back to dysfunctional.

He'd never get back to full health long enough for training to help him enhance his athletic performance...and that's not even counting the time he spends sitting while eating, on the internet, on planes, buses, cars, etc. I know they have to rest, usually sitting, but if this is affecting him, then he's got no choice but to put in more work to counteract the effects. What would worry me is that the body is really good at carrying on despite issues with mechanics, so injuries don't pop up immediately. Usually they'll pop up more when you increase frequency or load because it can't hang on anymore. Morris is now working harder, after a bad year, so he may start to see issues with his body.

#21 RV6, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

But there is no connection, at least not confirmed. RV6 is just making assumptions about Morris' life and that the Rockets' training staff is too incompetent to notice.

If I said Royce White had poor lateral movement because of his passion for writing, would I not sound ridiculous? Does anyone write screenplays and books while standing? Why should we judge Morris' hobbies any differently? The only difference is that videogames are seen as a waste of time, while writing is seen as a noble endeavor.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its safe to say that none of us know exactly how much time he spends playing video games. If he works out for two hours in the morning(even high intensity workouts), and then spends the rest of the day in a seated position then yes thats a huge problem, and that will affect his health the rest of his life much less just his athleticism. He would actually be healthier if he was just sleeping all day instead.

If thats the case, then yes its a huge issue, but since there is no way to tell what his lifestyle is like after practice then its hard to truely judge exactly what kind of damage he's doing to his body.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's not a reach, if you're familiar with the topic. Someone who is, can see the stiffness in morris' movements. White isn't the most fluid guy, but he moves much better. Royce could benefit from corrective treatment, but so can anyone who sits too long.

The rockets staff could be competent, notice, and Morris may not be following instructions. They don't babysit them at home.

The rockets staff could be competent, and not notice, because they have a lot on their hands.

The rockets staff could NOT be competent, like many have suggested, and not notice.

Just because it's a pro team in a popular sport doesn't mean they're perfect. Tmac went years with his crappy trainer and both, houston and the magic, didn't seem to notice. you'd think they'd keep up with such a huge investment more closely. You also have players who talk about the difference the staff makes from team to team, perfect example is grant hill. League isn't perfect.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HwmbHAc2SdI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HwmbHAc2SdI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I agree, although thats not taking into consideration any dysfunction developed as a teen, which needs specific treatment to correct, not just bball and workng out. Again, i only brought it up because all the dots connected. Some players play games a ton too, but may have not developed a dysfunction earlier, so with a better core base, they can handle sitting much better and still move well.

We'll have to wait and see how it plays out this season.

#24 RV6, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like Morris's skills, but he did not adjust to the speed and strength of the NBA last year. I think if he can defend threes he has a chance to help the Rockets this year. I think he'll have a tough time competing against the 4's the Rockets have much less the starting 4's in the NBA.

I do know that tweeners have had better success as undersized 4's than slow 3's. Morris has a huge hill to climb. Hopefully, he can become a solid rotational player backing up Parsons. All the skills in the world won't help him if he can't guard anyone and he isn't quick enough to not allow a defender to recover.

6. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

holy toledo...i came into this thread expecting to read an insightful Q&A piece and left having to wade thru Mr. Bill Nye's quack lesson on the connection between anatomy and video games. Jiminy Christmas, do some people seriously have nothing better to do, but to stand on the soap box that would have never been there if it weren't for the internet.

7. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2cfOi5BdxW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Marcus Morris drives in a car that is too small. This small car causes him to have poor posture and affects his ability to play basketball. You can notice it in the way his neck is angled as he is playing.

It's also obvious that he takes corners too fast. These fast corners are causing him to overuse his obliques. This is not beneficial to his ability to play the 3 spot in the NBA.

Here is proof:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JdKECepCouU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A slow athlete is a weak athlete. Bottom line. Get under the squat rack and give me some frank yang **** b****.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

After having read this whole thread all I have gotten out of it is that sitting wrecks you for some reason.

Now, for the sake of my sanity, if sitting wrecks you what are you supposed to do at the office? What's the solution?

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

don't entertain it.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with having an open mind. Any reputable and/or experienced trainer or phys therapist will confirm this. It's not quackery just because it's not well known. What's popular is usually what sells, not necessarily what works.

The problem is with any fixed position you hold for too long. Body has fascial tissue around muscles that gets "frozen" if you don't keep it loose by moving the area. Wrecks your biomechanics little by litte. Sitting just happens to be the position that dominates most of our daily lives, now more than ever.

Ideally don't work in an office....but if you must:

-get up often

-sit properly

-massage and then stretch muscles that are overworked due to prolonged sitting, they'll be loaded with trigger points (knots).

-strengthen the opposing muscles

13. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

dang, so everyone of us is wrecking our basketball career, as i doubt anyone will be standing when reading this.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Speak for yourself. I sit with my glutes flexed at all times.

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

If you need a thread taken over or derailed ... just ask for RV6.

Actually, there's one at the GSW fan site that needs you, RV6. Please check it out.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I apologize for actually discussing the content of the Q & A and then explaining something relevant to that. I shouldn't have interrupted the magnificently insightful discussion that was taking place at the time.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Bad pick, cut him, next.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

END

THIS

OFFSEASON

ALREADY

20. trowa

trowa Member

trade him while some team might still get him for second round pick