1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by milkoholic17, Dec 29, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

To me, Camby is only a possible "follow-up" trade. That is, IF we get so-and-so we should get Camby. Just as Camby doesn't care to go to mediocre teams, there's no reason a mediocre team should care to get Camby.

To me, he's the difference between a 50 win team and a shot at going deep in the playoffs. But we need to become that 50 win first.

2. PeppermintCandy

He'd definitely make the team more competitive right away, but I'd rather see Houston make a more long-term addition than another veteran center.

If there's no other deal available, Jeffries alone without any rotation players would be the most I'd like Houston to offer. Houston loses an expiring contract, but Camby's contract could make a bigger deal possible this summer or next season.

3. OvenproofBadger

The report said he would think about retiring, not that he would instantly retire...

4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

LOL at anybody who WANTS camby. are we wining this year? next year? i love camby 4 years ago, but not now.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You're not getting anything else out there that good, unless it comes with an even bigger risk. That is the sad truth.

6. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

And because he is the only center on this team that can defend.

7. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

It really depends on what we end up trading to get him. If it's more than a late first rounder OR a role player (like Buddinger). I might pass. Because he only really has value to a contending team this year. We could just wait for him to expire or get cut and pick him up if we really wanted to.

However, assuming it takes virtually nothing to get him via trade... why would you not want him on the team? We signed Brad Miller over the offseason. I know when we signed him it was assuming Yao wouldn't be out for the season again, but it's not like we aren't going to play him just because he's old.

And I personally think this team is a shot blocker away from being a pretty good team. We have 3 guys on the team that are solid to excellent perimeter defenders. Shane Battier leads the team in blocks... so getting a guy like Camby would really help us out there. Clearly a weakness for us.

Obviously I'm not saying we'll be contenders, but a guy like Camby is more than just a role player to us right now.

8. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think if Camby like's Houston (he lives here in the offseason), I could see him having a Mutombo-esque role. Be here multiple years for around the vet min. He could teach Hill a few things about blocking shots maybe.

9. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

IF Portland's GM can accept this trade, he would be fired by Paul Allen

10. PeppermintCandy

10 mil is too much for a Mutombo role, and besides, we've already gpt Miller playing the grizzled vet off the bench. The only reason I'd to consider Camby is if it's the first step of a series of moves to ultimately net the team some younger players to build around.

Hire Mutombo in the offseason to teach Hill. It would be much cheaper.

11. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Isn't Camby injured right now? I would rarther trade for McGee and develop him to a Camby-like player..

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

How about:

Miller
    Camby
    Batum

for

Yao
    Brooks
    Budinger

Maybe Portland bites on this offer, to get a hometown hero in Brooks and to appease Brandon Roy (who reportedly wants Miller shipped out). The salary totals are a wash.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We already have a young Camby whose name is Jordan Hill.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

I think they value Batum real high, so I wouldn't be suprised of Portland declined that offer, especially with Budinger's ****ty season.

15. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

If we could work some trade or player exception magic and get him for around 6+ mill I would go for it.

I like him (and would definitely like him as a proven top level rebounder and shot blocker to improve our defensive rating), but I agree he is old and has had injuries to give up too much for him player or money wise.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Marc Spears of Y! Sports pretty much reiterating the same.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnlyI.EaAANylSB9LuTVGDm8vLYF?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer123110

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

We would have beaten the Heat with Camby in the middle. I find it hard to believe they'd deal him to a rival battling for the 6-8 spot without getting serious value in return.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Camby just came back Thursday from a one game absence with an ankle injury. Stat line? Four points, 20 rebounds, five assists, two steals and two blocks. Oh, hell yes, you get him, if we can afford the guy. He's got a huge contract covering this season and the next at around $12 million a year. That's a lot of dough.

20. aicedo

aicedo Member

I like the thought of camby playing here last year, this year it would be a setback to what we are trying to do. Even though he would be a nice fit, he just doesn't have much left in the tank.