1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcin Gortat and Garret Siler learn from Hakeem Olajuwon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Bearius Jones, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Not sure if posted but merge/lock if so.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/132946

Gortat could polish his offensive game with some tutelage from The Dream. LOL. The Dream. That is such a great nickname.

2. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Uh... you just figured that out? Wtf? That's like someone posting, "Holy cow, have you guys seen this Hakeem Ola....Oli.....Oluwon guy? He's really good!" :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think Gortat is too old to really benefit significantly from Hakeem's tutelage unlike his former teammate Dwight who was young enough in his game to be able to incorporate the tips.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I see, so the cutoff line for someone to new post moves is 25 years old, because Gortat is only one and half year older than Howard

4. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

pretty much, past that the players are set in their ways and they are who they will be throughout their careers. for instance, if you're not a star by 25, it's extremely doubtful you will be in the future. sure, it happens, but it's rare, especially in comparison to players who breakout pre-25. on that note, lowry and brooks were just around the 25 line when they broke out. twill better hurry up.

5. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

I didn't JUST figure out Hakeem's nickname was the Dream! :mad:
    You kinda figure out his nickname the first time you here it which was...a long time ago. I was just reflecting on the Dream as a nickname. The Dream. THAT IS JUST TOO CLASSIC! Too good to be reality. I'm sure this has been touched on with basketball nicknames not being as classic as they used to be. Most are just combining the person's name (D-Mo, M-Mo, T-Mac, KG, Melo, D-Wade...etc) which just doesn't have the same impact.

I don't think you are ever truly too old to learn new things in this case basketball. The effectiveness of taught person using it may not be as good if they were younger but it can still add to his game. Could be timing of blocking shots, a more effective fade-away, improve positioning in rebounding and/or defense, ...whatever else.

6. Prince

Prince Member

and Dwight Howard has not learned yet how to get 2 rings. ;). Maybe the dream is not sincerely them :)

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually the human brain is still able to learn new things up until 30 years old. If you're below 30 your brain is still young enough to learn things normally.

Being "set in your ways" really is just about overcoming muscle memory, and anyone can relearn something by continuous practice. Its not that players can't learn new things, they just don't want to anymore. If you've been doing a jumpshot a certain way for the last 8 years, not a lot of people would put in the effort to redesign their mechanics so they shoot a higher percentage.

8. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

Why are you a bitter human being?

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I love Hakeem. Wish they would put this on YouTube like the Dwight Howard one.

Hopefully Gortat can use this stuff. Howard's footwork is still too crappy for Hakeem's ultra-advanced plus moves.

#9 Mr. Clutch, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011