1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

March Video Game Preview Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Feb 28, 2006.

1. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Sorry I just heard it was $45 at Fry's I didn't even think to ask if it was for the 360 or PC version.

2. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Actually, the PC version was 37.99. Incredible price. But my PC would blow up if I tried to play that game on it.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned (and if not, it might be too late), but I think CompUSA has the 360 version for $45. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier, but I wasn't paying that much attention to some of the deals for the game.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I got my copy today on the PC. Been playing for a bit, but just to get a feel for it... I've been running around as a Dunmer playing the training portion. Love the graphics and all I have is a paltry 7800GT. :D The dungeon environment you run around in during training is pretty sweet. I don't know what I'll end up playing when I start playing for real... I think I played ES3 as a warrior type. I may go mage in this one... dunno. But it usually takes me 3 or 4 days to decide on what I want to play. Right now I'm trying to get the combat down. I still haven't figured out how you drop items... and I'm encumbered... :D. Hopefully this won't be a big letdown like D&D Online was... blah.

#84 Dr of Dunk, Mar 21, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  5. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Oblivion is awesome.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Oh man, this thing is taxing the hell out of my pc. I mean, when it runs, it's been great, but it crashed when I tried to make my first trip to Oblivion and the FPS drop to like zero for quite a few seconds from time to time when ther's a lot going on on screen. Upgrading from my 9800 pro isn't feasible right now, especially since I'd need a new MOBO as well. I'm thinking I should just go on down to Directron on Harwin and pick up 2 sticks of 256 ram and upgrade to a gig. I think the biggest problem is that it has to keep loading so many areas because it runs somewhat ok in dungeons and buildings. Anyways, I hope that works because otherwise, I just bought an expensive doorstop.

DoD, to drop an item, click on it and drag it away from the menu and the menu will fade and the item will be floating infront of you. At this point I decided to press the "Z" key since I still don't know what "grab" does and it dropped the item.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That should fix you right up... shouldn't it? :confused:

Isn't lack of ram the main cause of slow downs?

8. Oski2005

Yeah, I think it is. Just wanted to be a 100% sure.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's a pretty cheap fix really. :cool:

10. Oski2005

11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Well, spent a few hours with the 360 version I got today. I'm not a big RPG'r but I'm really impressed so far.

Haven't done a whole lot. Spent a ton of time creating my character. I was amazed at all the detail and options you had available to create exactly the character you want. I want to say it's more detailed than Tiger Woods (though I never played the 360 version).

The rest of my time was going through the dungeon/sewer level at the start which seems to be there just to get you acclimated with the game as a whole.

I was worried about this first-person fighting, but I'm enjoying it so far, though I haven't come across anyone that didn't need but a couple of hits to kill.

There is a TON of stuff in this game and is a little confusing. But, I don't ever read a manual and that may one reason I am a little overwhelmed.

Wasn't impressed with the graphics at first but, the more I've gotten into the game and looked around, I continue to be amazed. The dungeons and sewers are just too cool. I just found myself looking at everything just to look - the architecture, skylights, everything. When I finally got outside, the scenery was beautiful. From the river with the most realistic running water I've ever seen in a game, to all the shrubery, it all looks great. Hell, I was amazed and found myself staring at just how the trees, bushes, weeds, etc just kind of blew around in the wind.

It's been a LOOOOONG time since I've had a game that was hard to put down, but this is it. Again, this is coming from someone who VERY RARELY touches a RPG, but this game so far looks to be a MUST BUY and a great game that I will taking up a lot of my spare time.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Morrowind was great because of the exploration... I played that game for 2 or 3 days just running around before I went on my first quest. This game is beautiful so far and I just got to the part where you go into the sewers. I'll probably start the game over now and pick my "real" character. The character creation is awesome... and I saw I could be a Battlemage or Spellsword.... magic + warrior... nice... but I still have to decide what to play. If there's a reason to get a top of the line video card, this game is it. I hope they included the ability to levitate or fly in this game like in Morrowind... when I first did that was when I said "wow". Before Morrowind I thought all first person games were pretty lame.

13. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I only got to play for about an hour yesterday (360 version) and so far I really enjoyed it.. I'm playing as a High Elf and so far I'm still down in the caves and about to get outside.. I'm blown away by how nice this game looks for a console game, it’s nice to see the 360 flex some muscle on this game.. Overall I know I like a game when I WANT to play it again a few mins after I turn it off.. unlike that crap I bought in Perfect Dark last month.. :mad:

14. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

glad to hear you guys like it so far. Last night right after I got home for work it was time to take my son to baseball practice so I didn't get any chance to put the game in and test it out. When I got home my wife was watching TV and wanted to watch a movie with me so damnit I did not get to play it yet. :mad: But I sure as hell will today.

I am glad to hear you other guys that don't really like or are not used to RPG's really liking it because I was really hoping it was a type of game I could really get into.

And mogrod don't worry because I have read the entire manual and am still very confused, but of course that is just because of the amount of things you can do and ways you can customize everything. This looks to be a truly amazing game.

15. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Guys Oblivion is just amazing. Ive never had goosebumps playing a game before, and this one did just that. right now im running at 1600x1200 max settings with 4xAA and I cant describe the game that im seeing. I spent atleast over an hour customizing my character and im still in the dungeon part. But I can honestly say this game so far has lived up to the hype. My 7800GTXs in SLI finally pays off :D !!

As for me, I like playing in both 3rd person and 1st person. First person is run for fighting and picking up stuff, but i like to see my char running around in 3rd person. The only crappy part about this is that i have to split time between raiding in WoW and this game. Decisions decisions :p

#95 doboyz, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely cool so far. My wife let me install it on her computer since she has better specs. But I went out and found a 256 mb ATI Radeon X1300 Pro card for $99. That was at circuit city after a rebate. It isn't the newest card, but it is enough to play Oblivion at close to mid level settings.

I am going to install it after I get home from work today. Then I will start my real character, and spend more time. Up until now it has been going with a quick warrior creation and checking out the game mechanics. It has been a blast, and I can't wait to get started on my real character tonight.

17. RC Cola

FYI for those playing on the PC (especially those with nice systems):

I saw a tweak somewhere for making the game look better in the distance. If you notice, the further out you look, the worse it looks (lower-res textures for example). Well, there's a way to fix that. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    (before)
    [​IMG]
    (after)
    [​IMG]
    It is kind of a minor thing, but I think I read it doesn't really affect performance (it might even improve it).

I haven't had a chance to check out exactly how to do that, but let me know if you guys are interested and I'll post a way to fix it once I have some more time (assuming any of you guys don't find out how). I believe it is part of the ini file, under the LOD settings in case anyone wants to try it themselves.

18. RC Cola

FYI to those with a 360 that aren't playing Oblivion (which should be no one ;)):

It looks there is a Blazing Angels demo available on XBL. I know some people were wondering about the game, so I guess you guys can check it out before it goes on sale (which is tomorrow IIRC).

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

20. RC Cola

The Godfather (PC, XBX, PS2)
    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/697/697315p1.html
    7.9 at IGN, about 79% for each version at Gamerankings

Blazing Angels (360, XBX)
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/697/697947p1.html
    6.8 at IGN, ~74% at Gamerankings

Suikoden V (PS2)
    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/697/697234p1.html
    8.2 at IGN, ~83% at Gamerankings

Metroid Prime: Hunters (DS)
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/697/697307p1.html
    9 at IGN, ~87% at Gamerankings.

Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal (DS)
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/697/697426p1.html
    4 at IGN, ~52% at Gamerankings.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, 360)
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/698/698405p1.html
    9.3 at IGN, 95% for both the PC and 360 versions at Gamerankings