1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

March Video Game Preview Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Feb 28, 2006.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I believe the game shipped today and should be out in most (if not all) stores tomorrow. However, since TT is shipping from the Midwest IIRC, a lot of stores in the Midwest will be getting the game this afternoon (or have gotten it this afternoon). So some lucky people have or will have the game today. Seems like a EB/Gamestop kind of thing FWIW.

2. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Yeah I have seen that some stores already have them today. But unfortunately the gamestop I reserved my copy at told me they will not have it until tomorrow.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm seeing more and more people post on forums that they have the game (who are either believable or have "proof"). It might depend on your local EB/GS/store manager and the region you are located in, but the game is "available" today.

BTW, the game seems to run well on PCs that aren't necessarily ultra-high end and uber expensive. One guy had an Athlon XP @ 2500 MHz, 1 GB of RAM, a 6800GT, and he was getting 30+ FPS at 1280x1024, HDR (guess no AA), and high settings (screen here). To be fair, I think he overclocked his video card and CPU a bit, but still, that's pretty nice.

Also, you guys may have seen this, but as a reminder, Gamespot will offer a live video feed of Oblivion as they play it for 12 hours straight, starting at 8pm (central time) tonight.

edit: Oh wait...the live feed is for subscribers only. Screw that.

#63 RC Cola, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

What stores did you see it at brentdapmp? I popped into my local Game Stop and the guy said they wouldn't sell it early because it's a $10,000 fine or something? I don't know the validity of that or who would be fining who in that situation, but he said it wasn't worth it for what he gets paid.

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Any time I pre-ordered a game from the GameStop in the Galleria they would get it the day that it shipped, usually late in the afternoon. If you can't wait until tomorrow that would be a good place to check.

And I've never heard of anybody getting fined for selling games early, I know that do that for music and movies, but I've never heard of it for games.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

It depends on if it is street dated or not. If the publisher deems that it has a set release date, they ususally set up hotlines and such to 'tattle' on anyone who has sold it early. Other stores/chains will even do this. Those that break street date could get fines, people fired, etc.

I know stuff like systems (obviously), Halo 2, other big games this was the case for. I don't know about Oblivion though...

7. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

It did not have a street release but it did have a ship date and what that means is that whenever a store recieves the game they can sell it. The problem with that is some stores that are close to the place they distribute the games from get them first. On some forums yesterday a lot of people had the game but since we are here in Houston I don't know of anywhere here that got the game. Most of the places that got the game yesterday were in the midwest. But all is good because I will be picking up the game this afternoon! I am 26 and have been gaming for 20 years and this will be my first RPG. I am not sure what to think but I am excited because I think the game has a lot of potential.

8. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I'm getting Godfather for PS2 today, can't wait!

PSP owners, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror is worth it, it looks better than some PS2 games and they are finally getting the control scheme down. Hopefully, it's a sign of good things to come for future PSP games.

9. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I'm going to BestBuy during lunch today.. I hope they have some 360 copies left..

10. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Anyone know how much Fry's is selling the the 360 versions for?

11. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Fry's has them for $45 so get it there if you can. I just got back from picking it up at lunch. :D

12. Davidoff

[​IMG]

Now all I have to do is leave work without anyone noticing :cool:

FYI.. BestBuy on HW6 and Westheimer had tons of copies of the Collectors Edition, but only a few of the basics left..

13. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

Glad to see I am not the only one stuck at work not being able to play it! :p

Like I said earlier this is my first RPG and I am wondering how it will be.

14. Davidoff

Me too.. I've never been into RPGs, but the hype around this game brought me in :eek:

15. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I see I am not the only hype victim too, lol. The exact same thing happened to me I fell victim to the hype. Now I guess I will have to start reading on this book of a manual. :eek:

16. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Just picked up my PC copy of Obliviion. Im tempted to just skip out on work and go play right now :D .

Im hoping to run this game at 1600x1200 maxed out, I hope my rig is up for the challenge. Ill give yall a report on how my FPS turns out.

17. noize

noize Contributing Member

Anyone else got MGS3: Subsistence?

I got the game yesterday and boy, it's awesome... and for the first time in a MGS series you have the option to control Snake in 3rd person with a free roaming camera(Splinter Cell) and not that hideous fix top/down camera of the past. What we gain from this is a much more immersive gameplay as if it isn't already. It really showcases the beautifull graphics in the best possible way. The game also came with a second disk called "persistence" that contains a bunch of extras and bonuses such as a theather mode,a never before release of the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 games and some other stuff that I haven't got the chance to mess around with. Overall its an awesome package with the highest ratting of any game this year.

Oh yeah, I don't have a modem for my PS2 so I can't comment on how well the on-line gameplay is, but I've heard its pretty damn good.

18. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Question about Oblivion, is the gameplay pretty much the same as Morrowind? Specifically, if I know how to play morrowind, can I skip out on reading the manual? ..'cuz that manual looks scary big.

19. Davidoff

Real men dont read manuals.. :D

20. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I went to Fry's at lunch, they said the 360 version was full price, only the PC version was on sale. So I will hit Compusa or order it off compusa.com