1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

March 1st 2016 Texas Primary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Early voting begins today and all registered voters are eligible. Learn more here: <a href="https://t.co/OAGCkkU9wM">https://t.co/OAGCkkU9wM</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/VoteTexas?src=hash">#VoteTexas</a></p>&mdash; Texas SOS Office (@VoteTexas) <a href="https://twitter.com/VoteTexas/status/699590308883869696">February 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

list of candidates

http://www.politics1.com/tx.htm

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The one time I would like to vote, I will likely miss it.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Groovy! I love voting early.

4. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

So you can't make it to early voting or voting day?

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You can still get an absentee ballot if you request it now.

6. Commodore

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>New NBC/WSJ/Marist Texas poll:1.) Clinton - 59%2.) Sanders - 38%</p>&mdash; Patrick Svitek (@PatrickSvitek) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/703945561339105280" data-datetime="2016-02-28T14:11:15+00:00">February 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>New NBC/WSJ/Marist Texas poll:1.) Cruz - 39%2.) Trump - 26%3.) Rubio - 16%4.) Carson - 8%5.) Kasich - 6%</p>&mdash; Patrick Svitek (@PatrickSvitek) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/703945193213419524" data-datetime="2016-02-28T14:09:47+00:00">February 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Fortunately for Trump, Cruz will win Texas and stay in the race at least 2 more weeks.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

This is the same Pollster the media wouldn't shut up about a week and a half ago when they showed Cruz 5 points behind Trump for South Carolina right before voting began and showing Cruz having the national lead while every other pollster showed Trump dominating both right?

I can't take them seriously anymore

9. Major

Major Member

No. NBC / WSJ don't conduct polls themselves - they contract out to actual polling firms. The polling firms used in the two polls were different.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Super Tuesday tomorrow. Other than the presidency, what races are yall concerned about? Anything? I have Culberson as a Rep looking for re-election, but that'll be a cakewalk for him unfortunately. Railroad Commissioner has a powerful post open, and again that will unfortunately go to a Republican. And there's a race for Harris County Sheriff. Ron Hickman probably wins as the incumbent. I spent some time reading up today. Depressing that I don't like any of the people likely to win.

11. Commodore

it's disturbing how incumbents generally face zero opposition in primaries

most voters aren't going to flip parties, so a primary is the best opportunity to have a real choice

not sure what to do about it

all things being equal, I vote for a challenger almost every time

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't live in Houston anymore, but I was visiting my mom this past weekend and was surprised by how many times we saw Gene Green canvassers in the neighborhood. Does anybody know if he got redistricted? He's been my mom's rep for decades and she doesn't remember him ever campaigning this hard during a primary.

13. geeimsobored

Adrian Garcia is mounting a primary challenge. And you're correct, he has run unopposed for years.

Either way I hope Green wins. I dont like that Garcia is trying to primary him. He even admits he has no issue with Green's policy positions, just that he feels like that district needs a Hispanic as opposed to an Anglo representative. If Green's doing a good job representing the district, there's no reason to vote him out because he happens to be white.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was my mom's theory as well. I know she'll be voting for Green tomorrow.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Facking Cruz, what an embarrassment for our great state. Can we ship his dumb ass back to Canada?!?!

16. geeimsobored

Good to hear. And I like what Garcia did as Harris County sherrif. But running to primary Gene Green solely on his race is terrible. I hope Green wins comfortably.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Better than Trump winning

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I haven't seen an ad where Garcia makes that claim at all

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

We agree here... as a Democrat, its even more disturbing when there are almost no candidates even willing to run. While I am sure the demographics would mean almost no chance to win in this area (Montgomery County) I would hope even the chance to be heard would make a campaign worthwhile.

I'd think this if I lived in an overwhelmingly Democratic area as well... I suspect there are counties in the SF Bay Area, Chicago, or NYC where Republicans run despite overwhelming odds (at least I'd hope so).

Still... I will go vote.

1 person likes this.