1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Yao = Third Team All-NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by baller4life315, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Dont talk about history, remember that Yao Ming was the center on the All World Team and was without a doubt the best center in the NBA for the season 2005-2006. Any reason given for him not being in ther first NBA Team is only to disguise their predudices!!

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If Yao averages 15 points a game more than Ben, which he does, than Ben has to average, somehow 15 points a game better than Yao defensively. And you could think about how Ben is the greatest defensive center in the league crap (which is probably true), but it still doesn't take away from the fact that Yao plays excellent defense, too, especially given our horrible perimeter d.

Heck, Yao averages as many defensive rebounds as Ben does (so Ben is his little bit extra on the offensive end, which obviously doesn't translate to more points anyway).

EDIT: 82games.com has a neat little thing up ranking each team by position based on their PER score versus opponents. For the center position, Miami ranks number one with the biggest differential. Cleveland #2 - somewhat suprisingly, Rockets #3, Suns#4 and Pistons #5. Even more shocking is the Knicks at #6. My guess is it may be somewhat biased towards the East given they play each other more.

Ben does get more steals, etc....BUT, there is NO WAY that big picture Ben Wallace contributes more to his team than Yao does to his.

Yao's Roland rating is 12.5 compared to Ben's 6.9 and Shaq's 11.6. I've never been the biggest fans of these types of stats that try to gauge overall importance...but there it is.

#22 JayZ750, Apr 20, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  3. savethepigs

savethepigs Member

You put Yao Ming in the Detroit Pistons and they are automatically the champions.

This ratings do suck. I don't see why Yao must be left out of first team just because of his teammates. It's Yao who put the individual effort this season and I believe he should be rewarded. Shaq definately did not have a better season, and Ben Wallace belongs in All NBA Defensive 1st team, not on All NBA 2nd Team.

4. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

No one really talked about team success when Lebron made 2nd team last year over Tmac. Tmac on the third team last year was a joke.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What an idiot...Yao was injured, but when he was healthy, he was great...

6. tm2k06

tm2k06 Member

Hell !! What the joke .
    At least,YAO should stay in 2nd team.! Just due to Shaq is the hot guy towards media.

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

Imagine Yao on the Pistons...

Can we get Billups, Hamilton, and Rasheed somehow? I'll settle for McDyess.

8. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Yao would be on all NBA-1st team if he changed his skin color to black. I am serious about that.

9. sbyang

sbyang Member

Aw come on. Look at Stein's list again, Yao was the only one there who's team did not make the playoffs.

10. compucomp

compucomp Member

How many times do we have to keep saying it? THIS IS NOT THE MVP, IT'S THE ALL-NBA AWARD. IT'S FOR THE PLAYERS WHO PLAYED THE BEST, NOT THE PLAYERS WHOSE TEAMS DID THE BEST.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

When your team sucks, so do all your personal accolades. It is just the way it is and, IMO, the way it should be because who gives a crap if Yao went for 30/15 every night if the Rockets lose? Some of you might, but I'd rather see them win and Yao score in single digits than for Yao to go nuts and rack up the losses. In truth, I'd rather see both, but if I have to choose, I'll take wins every day of the week over stats.

12. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

This team? Sorry, they can't win without their star players puting up great stats.

13. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I'm sure anyone would, but I don't see what that has to do with this conversation. Nobody is arguing that we're happier that Yao is playing well versus winning games. I mean you make it sound that because we didn't win, that invalidates everything else that happened during the season?

There wasn't a lot of positives that came out of this season, so what's wrong with discussing one of the few bright spots of the year?

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

There's nothing wrong with TALKING about Yao's performance. It was great. I'm saying that his performance mixed with his injuries and the team's poor record doesn't equate to him being second or first team all-nba.

To the victor go the spoils.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And to the Rox the spoiled...

16. spence99

spence99 Member

I agree. People argue on this board that Mike James stats are inflated because he plays on a bad team, but then think that doesn't apply to Yao. If Mcgrady stays healthy, then Yao would not have put up as great of stats. I think team success should be a factor in naming all-NBA team.

17. swu

swu Contributing Member

Wasn't TMAC on the All-NBA 2nd team during his last season in Orlando when the Magic had the worst record in the NBA? It was certainly not based on his team record..

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

While I agree with this, I also realize it doesnt always apply as in the Tmac in 03-04 case.

However the other issue with Yao this year is not only his team not winning, but him having played only 57 games, which is why I wont have a problem with Yao not being 1st or 2nd team all nba. I mean he doesnt even have enought points, rebounds or games to actually qualify to be included in the league leader categories.

Someone pointed out that Shaq himself has only played 59 games, but you forget other FACTORS to consider, 1, atleast the Heat are Winning 2, Like it or not Shaq, like Duncan has a history and record of excellence etc which gives them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to voting and honors. Yao on the other hand, at least this year, has neither the winning team or the history in his favor.

All that said Yao MING first team! :p j/p

*small voice* Ben Wallace

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In defense of Stein he at least mentions his criteria and rationale for not picking Yao first, and he admits that Yao had the best season of the group.

It is one thing to disagree with his criteria, but he did stick to it.

The CBS fool, is just out of his mind. There is no excuse for that kind of thing, and the guy needs to punished.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yao will be on the 1st team next year. This crap will only motivate him. Better, if he is not voted in on team this year. We will see an angry Yao next year.