1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Sources: Wiz, Rockets talking deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lmaballa, Jan 31, 2010.

1. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Let the bum expire, no reason to give up another asset to get rid of him. Seems to me like we'd be getting their guys to clear cap space for them, if they want an asset also, they are just getting greedy. Forget them.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where is there a workable deal with Wiz without Jamison, (who IMHO, would require a third team's involvement)?

If Miller were added then Wiz are trading two expirings and Butler for 1, McG?

I just do not see where a Wiz deal has any legs without there being a third or possibly fourth team involved. And two team deals are difficult enough.

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I have no faith in Butler and don't want him on this team.

If we could find some way to get Jamison (my favorite player in the NBA) I would be ecstatic, but I doubt that would ever happen.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The only thing I'm interested in is their unprotected # 1 pick this year,and even that isn't going to be a clincher for me in any trade.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This is Morey's leverage, play Philly and Washington to see which one coughs up the most. In either deal, we are after:

1. A big guard that can score and create. (Butler or Iggy)
    2. A big man that can defend and board. (Haywood or Dally)
    3. A young big that we can develop long term. (Javale or Speights)

The rest is pieces parts to make the deal work. And possibly to see if we can flip to another team for another asset.

I am convinced this is the type of deal that Morey is chasing. If he can get a premier perimeter player and a big man presence and a young 4/5, I think he will pull the trigger. In addition if he can somehow flip a 3-way that will net us a perimeter playmaker (Butler or Iggy) and Amare, I think he will definitely think long and hard about pulling the trigger on that deal.

Think about these lineups going forward:

Brooks
    Butler or Iggy
    Ariza
    Dally or Haywood
    Scola or Landry

with Hayes, Battier, Budinger, Conroy, and one of Speights/McGee on the bench for this season with Yao joining the mix next season

or think about this possibility
    Brooks
    Butler or Iggy
    Ariza
    Amare
    Scola or Landry

with Hayes, Battier, Budinger, Conroy and one of Speights/McGee on the bench for this season with Yao joining the mix next season.

6. worzel gummidge

I thought this was interesting. Could it be tied in with a Wiz deal?

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/01/hey_brian_brian_windhorst_answ_45.html
    Butler + Jamison = $20M under next season's cap for the Wiz

McGrady + Dorsey + Taylor for Butler + Jamison = Rockets reduce payroll by $289k

Jamison is flipped over to Cleveland for Big Z's expiring contract.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

While I agree with you, you have to wonder about the possibility of a 3 way trade between the teams mentioned.

Also, Washington is acting like Jamison isn't going anywhere---he's their one Tru Christian Warrior, and still playing at a high level---so cap relief for Butler, while okey-dokey, won't mean much if they can't void Arenas' deal. Which they'll reportedly try, although I see a buyout looming.

Hmn, what else. Oh yes. Philly. Brand has been playing better a lot better lately, although that could be either personal pride or please-let-some-team-trade-for-me (or, please DON'T trade me, I hate moving). So that might be a glimmer of hope for them, especially since no team will touch that contract (Isiah Thomas is long gone from the league). Dalembert's kicked it up a notch, probably doesn't want to move.

McGrady and maybe Taylor or (I hope not) Budinger and Dorsey might make sense in Washington if we can walk away with Miller's expiring and JaVale, and send Butler to Philly for Iggy.

Philly can let Dalembert and Butler come off the books at the same time, a year from now.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Don't look for short-term gains,guys like Jamison and Butler won't help much. We will get stuck in no man's land. The long term goal of a contender for a title is the main thing. I would rather get a small role player for a relatively cheap price who could play some defense at the 5(not likely) than making a bad deal.

9. dexkk

dexkk Member

If we get Jamison, prepare to stay mediocre for the next 4 years.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

How about this trade:

* Rockets trade: T-Mac, Cook
    * Cavs trade: Big-Z and J. Williams
    * Wizards trade: Butler, Miller, Haywood, Jamison

=> Rockets incoming players: Butler, Miller and Haywood
    => Cavs incoming players: Jamison, Cook (and trade exception)
    => Wizards incoming players: T-Mac, Big-Z and J. Williams

Wizards would get $35.1M of expiring contracts ... if they can cancel the contract of Arenas, they can sign Lebron and Bosh in the offseason. :rolleyes:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yflhllh

11. acefan18

acefan18 Member

At least someone is thinking about the money. Sure Caron has had a down year, but both Brendan and Caron's contracts are shorter than Iggy's. Let's not forget that just a year ago these were Caron's stats: 20.8ppg, 4.4 asts, 4.3 rebounds. Iggy is fine with me though because he has upside, but it seems that we will have to give up more than t-mac to get him. With the Wiz deal, even though they may want Luis Scola, I feel that we could prolly pull a deal just sending t-mac and Dorsey.

12. tmacROX1

tmacROX1 Member

as much as i dont want to let tmac go, i want to see what happens badly :p

13. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

The only reason to do a deal with Washington is if we don't have to give up a young piece (Landry, Lowry, Brooks) while Philly is insisting that we do. I wouldn't give up a young player without getting someone like Bosh back in the deal.

I'm not a big Butler fan, but if we could get McGee or Hayward along with Butler and Miller while giving up TMAC and someone like Battier, we'd have to consider doing it. Battier might be good for the Wizards right now too. They are starting over and they have a horrible image problem. They need a good guy/leader in that locker room and some help rebuilding trust with the community. As much as I like Battier, I'd much rather give him up than a younger player.

I'm still not convinced Butler is the long-term answer, but he could be a valuable asset that could be repackaged in a sign and trade deal this offseason. If Bosh tells Toronto that he is determined to leave and we can't make something happen with Toronto before the deadline, I could see us working a sign and trade deal using Butler and Landry.

Btw, does anyone know why McGee doesn't get more playing time? I like his potential, but it seems odd that a guy with his upside doesn't see more floor time with a team like the Wizards...

14. DreamRoxCoogFan

most people on this board overvalue our players way too much. jopatmc is right on the money.

1 person likes this.
  15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I don't see how trading with the Wizards is such a bad idea. They have a lot of good pieces. There's Butler, Haywood, Foye, McGee, Miller, Blatche and the leader Jamison. If we could get Butler, Haywood, 1 or maybe 2 of the guys mentioned after, I'd be all for it. Miller not so much though, considering his age and contract, but Jamison, I feel is worth every penny in his contract.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Butler and Jamison would be incredible.

DD

17. worzel gummidge

Rockets get Big Z's expring, Cavs get Jamison.

18. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I completely agree. Although I'd like to get another young asset in return included in the deal. Or if we could somehow get that 1st rounder from them (I seriously doubt it) that would be amazing. Jamison is so undervalued in my mind.

19. albuster

albuster Member

Right on the money. Brooks? Landry? They would not even get the minutes and opportunities in good teams that they are lucky to have with the Rockets. A PG that leads a team in points is a bad PG. His job is to set up his team mates for scoring opportunities, organize the offense and make sure his team mates get their share of the offense. Brooks tries to score first every time and that leaves some of his team mates just wandering around the court a lot of times.

Landry is a good player off the bench. His game is limited though due to his poor defense, poor rebounding, and his inability to pass off double teams. When he is double teamed or is guarded by big opponents his game suffers and he forces his shots a lot instead of passing the ball out to his team mates for open shots.

Make no mistake, these two players are good players, but they are not as good as many here make them out to be. The Rockets record bears this out.

1 person likes this.
  20. AB423

AB423 Member

Why are most people saying no to Butler like he is a scrub? In the last 4 years he has averaged 19.1 ppg, 6.7 rbg, 3.8 apg, and 1.8 spg. Sounds pretty good to me.